Thread poster: maryrose
maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

Hi everyone

I've been using Dragon 8 preferred with Word 2000 and Trados 6.5 for some time with no problems. However, today, when I tried to "reawaken" Dragon in the usual way, a window came up saying "The speech engine was unable to turn on the microphone or audio input device".

I tried several times and then closed and reopened Dragon - same result.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:07
English to German
Microphone OK? Mar 1, 2007

Is your microphone connected?
If it's a USB microphone, have you by any chance changed the USB port it's connected to?

Endre

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
microphone connected Mar 1, 2007

Thanks Endre. Yes, I should have said that I checked the mike was fully plugged in, and I haven't changed its port.

I've also since rebooted but no luck.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Is microphone in order? Mar 1, 2007

Is there any way you can check the microphone by trying it for something else, like a dictating machine? If not at home, maybe you could do it in a shop somewhere.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:07
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
In Control Panel Mar 1, 2007

there is "Sounds and Audio Devices", you should first check there if your computer has not lost the mike (there also is an option to test the microphone- Voice-Voice recording- Test Hardware).

Uldis

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:07
Danish to English
+ ...
microphone Mar 1, 2007

It indeed could be that the microphone died. The PCs are now supplied with microphones, so if you have an extra one, you could test your that PC microphone, and if that one works, your DNS mice needs replacement.

Have you check the input cords. It might be loose.

Check in DNS tools the accuracy center. Check the Audio Centetr, etc. You could also use thel DNS disc to run a repair.

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Mar 5, 2007

Many thanks to all who offered suggestions. With no intervention on my part, the problem went away when I turned the computer off completely overnight, and turned back on again the next morning. One of those infuriating, inexplicable glitches!

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon says it can't turn on the microphone

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »