Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Is anyone else having trouble using Dragon?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:24
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
What kind of microphone are you using? Nov 4, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
There is no solution, is there? None at all! Obviously Dragon is not intended to work, it's just a fraud; a complete con.

Dragon has many happy users, so it must be surely a temporary problem on your side.

And the microphone setting on the computer keeps switching off automatically every 30 seconds, but, even when it is switched on, and there is a loud sizzling sound coming from the speakers, to show that everything is working, Dragon just refuses to pass the volume check test.

That loud sizzling sound from the speakers is no good. It could be an interference between microphone and speakers.
Are you using a stand-alone microphone or a headseat?

It is far better to use a headset, the interference will cease and you will input a much cleaner voice signal for the software to process. A headseat may cost between 15 and 30 EUR.

Also, you may have driver problems, you may have even inserted the microphone's jack in the wrong place, or not have inserted it firmly enough to make contact.
Check again everything or get the initial problems troubleshooted by somebody in person, there, in front of your PC, which could be a faster solution than guessing in this forum because the problem could be very simple but we don't see or hear what's happening.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-11-04 18:59]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nuance support is non-existent Nov 4, 2006

Hi Heike,

Nuance support is non-existent. I tried that yesterday. They just send back automated messages, but with no information on how to solve any problem.

I guess I just have the wrong voice to make the program work, and I only know how to increase the volume of my voice, but not the tone of it. Typing is obviously a whole lot easier.

Astrid

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Headset Nov 4, 2006

Hi Gianfranco,

I am using the headset that came with the Dragon package.

I'll phone a computer wizard I know and get him to come round and look at everything next week.

Astrid

Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
Don't give up... Nov 4, 2006

... it's really worth it ! And if you sent your support request yesterday, maybe it was too late for them to answer directly (weekend?). Just give them a chance to answer you next week, they surely will.

Just repeating myself: I really enjoy working with Dragon, it's amazing how well it recognizes what I dictate and how fast you see those words appear on the screen. It's really great, give it another try!!

I don't think at all that it's a problem of your voice, because
... See more
... it's really worth it ! And if you sent your support request yesterday, maybe it was too late for them to answer directly (weekend?). Just give them a chance to answer you next week, they surely will.

Just repeating myself: I really enjoy working with Dragon, it's amazing how well it recognizes what I dictate and how fast you see those words appear on the screen. It's really great, give it another try!!

I don't think at all that it's a problem of your voice, because I've noticed already that Dragon recognizes even the words I whisper while talking to another person hoping it would not "listen"

So, good luck!
Heike
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Soundcard quality Nov 4, 2006

Hello Astrid,

I had similar problems with DNS 7 when I bought it.

The problem may lie in your hardware. What soundcard do you have?
DNS requires soundcards that support very good sound quality. I found out that my computer has an on-board soundcard, and that just wasn't enough.

There may also be interference with your soundcard and noise from inside your computer.

One thing that worked for me was to buy a new headset with an audio pod (
... See more
Hello Astrid,

I had similar problems with DNS 7 when I bought it.

The problem may lie in your hardware. What soundcard do you have?
DNS requires soundcards that support very good sound quality. I found out that my computer has an on-board soundcard, and that just wasn't enough.

There may also be interference with your soundcard and noise from inside your computer.

One thing that worked for me was to buy a new headset with an audio pod (a separate soundcard), which is optimized for sound recognition and does not interfere with noises from your computer or environment.

HTH.

Sonja
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems a very complex technical problem Nov 4, 2006

I have tried all sorts of things by now. Maybe the soundcard is not good enough, as you say, Sonja. One thing that is really annoying is that both sound regulators for "Tonsteuerung" are set to "niedrig". However, "Tonsteuerung" on my computer is set to being faded out in pale grey and cannot be adjusted. Therefore the two regulators have to remain set at "niedrig". I don't know what they are there for if they cannot be adjusted. If only they were adjustable, I am sure the problem would be solve... See more
I have tried all sorts of things by now. Maybe the soundcard is not good enough, as you say, Sonja. One thing that is really annoying is that both sound regulators for "Tonsteuerung" are set to "niedrig". However, "Tonsteuerung" on my computer is set to being faded out in pale grey and cannot be adjusted. Therefore the two regulators have to remain set at "niedrig". I don't know what they are there for if they cannot be adjusted. If only they were adjustable, I am sure the problem would be solved.

Astrid
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, go on! Nov 4, 2006

don't give up anyway!

There can be a lot of different reasons we don't know from here, but - although I personally don't use it (yet) - I am sure the software itself is worth its money.

I have used computers since 1984 and have learnt definitively two things:

1) the computer is always right, the more in case of hardware or configuration problems - it doesn't recognise its own errors
... See more
don't give up anyway!

There can be a lot of different reasons we don't know from here, but - although I personally don't use it (yet) - I am sure the software itself is worth its money.

I have used computers since 1984 and have learnt definitively two things:

1) the computer is always right, the more in case of hardware or configuration problems - it doesn't recognise its own errors

2) you always find a solution, unless there are hard disk problems or the like.

In the course of the years, I have tried to make the best out of this and have nearly always won:-D

I am sure you will win, too!
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 20:24
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
selected microphone Nov 5, 2006

It sounds you've tried everything, but just in case...

Check in DNS that the correct microphone is selected for the voice input and all other options are set correctly.
I had a similar problem once. Although the OS recognized and defaulted automatically to the plugged in headset, DNS needed a little help.

I can't check it at the moment, but I think you can access that screen somewhere in the audio setup. They offer you a range of microphone types to choose from et
... See more
It sounds you've tried everything, but just in case...

Check in DNS that the correct microphone is selected for the voice input and all other options are set correctly.
I had a similar problem once. Although the OS recognized and defaulted automatically to the plugged in headset, DNS needed a little help.

I can't check it at the moment, but I think you can access that screen somewhere in the audio setup. They offer you a range of microphone types to choose from etc.

BTW, once you get it to work, check out Vocola (just google that name), a very useful voice command program that allows you to control Trados etc. with voice commands. Otherwise, in the preferred version, you will need to close and open translation units manually. Vocola basically gives the preferred version the same functionality as the much more expensive professional edition.

[Edited at 2006-11-05 00:40]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem determined, but not fixed Nov 5, 2006

Thanks for the tip about Vocola, Heike - once I get to that stage! It won't be this side of going to Edinburgh, anyhow.

My computer is installed in German, and I don't know what the equivalent English terms are, but there seem to be two different volume control settings. There is a whole set of volume controls called "Lautstärkeregler", and I moved all those up, since they were all at the minimum setting.

However, there is another volume control somewhere else on the c
... See more
Thanks for the tip about Vocola, Heike - once I get to that stage! It won't be this side of going to Edinburgh, anyhow.

My computer is installed in German, and I don't know what the equivalent English terms are, but there seem to be two different volume control settings. There is a whole set of volume controls called "Lautstärkeregler", and I moved all those up, since they were all at the minimum setting.

However, there is another volume control somewhere else on the computer, that has two of those regulators to move. That volume control is called "Tonsteuerung" and may be the main one. Both of the regulators under the "Tonsteuerung" heading are set at minimum, but the problem is that they cannot be moved. This function is faded out in pale grey, as not being accessible. That is not normal, but I cannot find out how to activate the option. Therefore, I will need to call in the computer guy.

Anyhow, thanks, everyone, for the help so far, as I have found out a few things: firstly, that the problem is not to do with Dragon, but with computer configuration; secondly, that I have to unplug the desktop speakers when I plug in the headset.

I'll report on Dragon itself once I have it working.

Astrid
Collapse

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:24
Spanish to English
This scene is too precious! Nov 5, 2006

What happened next, after I failed the volume test 20 times over, each time trying to project my voice a little bit better, was that I experimented wildly. First I yelled into the microphone, squeezing it against my lips, then I tried singing. That didn't work, either, until I tried singing at the top of my voice. Finally it seemed loud enough to satisfy the program and, after an hour, I passed the volume check test. However, I don't know what the neighbours thought - I live in a block full of old people!

I've often wondered how silly I would look if someone saw me installing and training Dragon (many PCs, many reinstallations over the years). Now I know I'm not alone.

I think I have the Dogbert book memorized.

Just a tip, the microphone quality really, really matters. I went through several headsets bought for 20 Pesos at the local internet cafe. They would hold together for a few months, but eventually they would just start racking up the errors. I now have 6 months on this installation with a good-quality microphone. For the first time I can say that this program really works well, even for difficult terminology. You just have to stick with it long enough for it to learn.

Saludos!

Jason

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Problems with the headset, too Nov 6, 2006

Hi Astrid,
I'm also having problems setting up this program! I installed it today and I'm stuck at the first step: the volume test always says my microphone is too low although the volume is set at the maximum level. I have the Plantronics headset supplied with DNS 9 Preferred Wireless, by the way.

I tried the hardware test suggested in this thread but it doesn't detect anything! I also checked that the volume setting is not on "mute" (I remember it was one big problem when I
... See more
Hi Astrid,
I'm also having problems setting up this program! I installed it today and I'm stuck at the first step: the volume test always says my microphone is too low although the volume is set at the maximum level. I have the Plantronics headset supplied with DNS 9 Preferred Wireless, by the way.

I tried the hardware test suggested in this thread but it doesn't detect anything! I also checked that the volume setting is not on "mute" (I remember it was one big problem when I tried DNS version 3 some years ago, but it eventually got solved before I gave up using the software because I always typed faster than I could dictate without errors). So it seems that the microphone doesn't work at all...

Well, I'm going to restart the PC and see if it works better after that... but I'm not very optimistic...

Marie-Céline
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progress with problem so far Nov 6, 2006

Hello Marie-Céline,

I have established by now that when it always says the volume is too low the computer needs to be configured in some way first of all.

If you expand the bar at the bottom of the computer, there should be a symbol among the symbols there for the volume of the computer. If you double-click it you get it large on your screen, and there are a lot of different volume control regulators in a row - about seven. The last one at the end is the microphone. Am
... See more
Hello Marie-Céline,

I have established by now that when it always says the volume is too low the computer needs to be configured in some way first of all.

If you expand the bar at the bottom of the computer, there should be a symbol among the symbols there for the volume of the computer. If you double-click it you get it large on your screen, and there are a lot of different volume control regulators in a row - about seven. The last one at the end is the microphone. Among other things, you have to make sure that the box at the bottom of the microphone panel is not ticked, for the sound to be switched off.

If you go to the button in the bottom left-hand corner of the entire box, and click on that, you get another sound control screen. On my computer, both of the regulators under this sound control screen are set at minimum (no sound). In addition, the regulators cannot be moved, because the option is faded out in pale grey.

If this option is faded out in pale grey, (1) Dragon will not work; (2) the reason it is faded out is that your computer does not have the correct audio driver (it was not, in the first place, delivered to you with the correct audio driver). At this stage, it appears best to find someone who knows about the technical side of computers to come round to your house and fix it up for you, as otherwise I don't know how you find out what is the right sort of audio driver to download, or where to download it from. I have already made arrangements for a computer guy to come round.

Let us know in this thread if you get your computer adjusted in order to be able to use Dragon. I will also post details on what my computer guy does.

Best regards,

Astrid
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
France
German to French
+ ...
Another problem, then Nov 6, 2006

Thank you Astrid for your suggestions.
I checked the settings you told me about and the "réglages de tonalité" (aka "Tonsteuerung") are OK - not grayed, set to middle level.
I'm starting to think that the microphone does not work at all.

Marie-Céline

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A USB Microphone might help Nov 7, 2006

Hi Astrid,

It's too bad you're having such a hard time getting DNS to work.

I recently upgraded to DNS9 and decided to splurge and get a USB microphone as well, and let me tell you, it makes a world of difference.

A USB microphone doesn't tie up or depend on your sound card, so it works much better than a regular microphone.

I've installed DNS9 on both my desktop computer and my laptop, and the USB mic works great with both.

You
... See more
Hi Astrid,

It's too bad you're having such a hard time getting DNS to work.

I recently upgraded to DNS9 and decided to splurge and get a USB microphone as well, and let me tell you, it makes a world of difference.

A USB microphone doesn't tie up or depend on your sound card, so it works much better than a regular microphone.

I've installed DNS9 on both my desktop computer and my laptop, and the USB mic works great with both.

You shouldn't have to strain your voice to use speech recognition software, so the quality of the microphone is key. I often dictate in a very soft voice, almost a whisper, because I don't want everybody to hear what I'm translating, and it works just fine.

Good luck with DNS9!

Best,

Nora
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
France
German to French
+ ...
faulty USB headset Nov 7, 2006

Hi all,

Thanks Nora for your input - I hope that we will finally get DNS to work satisfactorily too!

Today I tried to call Nuance support - always busy, impossible to reach someone...
So I found the Plantronics home page, downloaded the user's manual and from what I read, I suspected that my USB headset didn't work correctly. I called the support number and was very happy to reach almost immediately very competent people who guided me through various steps before
... See more
Hi all,

Thanks Nora for your input - I hope that we will finally get DNS to work satisfactorily too!

Today I tried to call Nuance support - always busy, impossible to reach someone...
So I found the Plantronics home page, downloaded the user's manual and from what I read, I suspected that my USB headset didn't work correctly. I called the support number and was very happy to reach almost immediately very competent people who guided me through various steps before concluding that the headset is indeed defective. Furthermore, although I got this microphone supplied with the software they offered to replace it free of charge - well the support number is not free and I spent some time with these people, but I appreciated the proposal.

I hope that next time everything will be OK, but right now it's a lot of stress off my mind - until I receive the new headset and try to install it

BR
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is anyone else having trouble using Dragon?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »