Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 09:19
German to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2006

Dear all,

This is probably a silly question, but I can't find the answer on my own. I'm a new user of Dragon and find it very useful for certain types of jobs. However, whenever I say "question mark" at the end of a question, the program takes me to the help window which, at least in the German version of Word, is called "?". Can anyone tell me how to change the settings.

I have Word 2000 and Dragon Freelance Version 8.00.000.121

Many thanks

... See more
Dear all,

This is probably a silly question, but I can't find the answer on my own. I'm a new user of Dragon and find it very useful for certain types of jobs. However, whenever I say "question mark" at the end of a question, the program takes me to the help window which, at least in the German version of Word, is called "?". Can anyone tell me how to change the settings.

I have Word 2000 and Dragon Freelance Version 8.00.000.121

Many thanks

Ian
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Similar problem with "File" Feb 7, 2006

I have a similar problem with the word "file", which opens the file menu of whatever application I'm in... and as I translate mainly software manuals it's difficult to avoid it!

Roberta

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:19
Swedish to English
+ ...
Press SHIFT Feb 7, 2006

Easy answer to Roberta - press the SHIFT key before saying the word "file" or "system" or "help". Same for other words that double as commands.

Might also deal with Ian's problem, caused presumably because the ? sign in the German version refers to Help.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Peter Feb 7, 2006

Thanks Peter - sounds easy... I'll try that!

Roberta

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For the record Feb 7, 2006

Thanks Peter,

For the record, the workaround I've been using is to say "question mark question mark" and then deleting the second one. If anyone has a better way than this and Peter's suggestion, please let me know.

All the best

Ian

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 17:19
Japanese to English
Easy fix Feb 7, 2006

In DNS 8 (and probably older versions), go to Tools>Options>Commands and check "Require 'Click' to select menus and controls".

What's happening is that Dragon is mistaking "File" and "Question Mark" for commands. With this option turned on, the command pattern changes to "Click File" and "Click Question Mark," which you're unlikely to say unless you really mean it.

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Richard Feb 14, 2006

Thanks Richard - that did the trick!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question marks in Dragon

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »