Help writing Select Command
Thread poster: JennyItaly
JennyItaly
JennyItaly
Local time: 11:30
Italian to English
Nov 27, 2019

Hi,
I finally purchased DNS 15 and I am trying to add as many of Nora Diaz's commands as I can - but I cannot get the SELECT command to work in Trados (Studio 15). It works in MS Word so I presume the code is OK.
I have also downloaded the trial version of KnowBrainer but I still cannot get the SELECT to select a single word.
I can get it to select the whole segment - but not a single word.
Anybody else had this problem by any chance?
Thanks in advance
Jen

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:30
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More info? Nov 27, 2019

Hi Jen,

Can you share the code you're using? The Select command for an entire segment would be different from the one for a single word or a specific phrase (which is an open-ended command).

One thing you can do to figure out where the command is not doing what it's supposed to do is to increase the wait times so that each step in the command will be executed slowly to allow you to observe the sequence of events in the command. That usually helps me troubleshoot command
... See more
Hi Jen,

Can you share the code you're using? The Select command for an entire segment would be different from the one for a single word or a specific phrase (which is an open-ended command).

One thing you can do to figure out where the command is not doing what it's supposed to do is to increase the wait times so that each step in the command will be executed slowly to allow you to observe the sequence of events in the command. That usually helps me troubleshoot commands that are tricky to deploy.
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:30
Russian to English
+ ...
How to tell if it should work Jan 3, 2020

I could be wrong, but I don't think Trados Studio supports Select-and-Say with Dragon. The way to tell, however, is to look for the green dot in the Dragon bar. If it's not there when an application has the focus, you don't have Select-and-Say capability in that application.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:30
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Custom commands Jan 4, 2020

That's correct, but with DPI 15 you can create your own commands for any program, so even if Select-and-Say is not supported out of the box, you can create your own command to select a dictated word or phrase.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help writing Select Command

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »