Dragon keeps telling me I don't have a microphone
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2017

I have Dragon 11 and Windows 10. I don't know which piece of software is causing this problem, but I've had it for a long time and on more than one computer and version of Windows.

Every so often, Dragon 11 tells me I don't have an audio input device attached when I do. This frequently happens when I've taken the microphone out of the socket and put it back in again, which is sometimes unavoidable, but sometimes it occurs for no apparent reason. Often, the default input device has b
... See more
I have Dragon 11 and Windows 10. I don't know which piece of software is causing this problem, but I've had it for a long time and on more than one computer and version of Windows.

Every so often, Dragon 11 tells me I don't have an audio input device attached when I do. This frequently happens when I've taken the microphone out of the socket and put it back in again, which is sometimes unavoidable, but sometimes it occurs for no apparent reason. Often, the default input device has been switched from my plug-in microphone to the one in my computer.

The only fix I can find is to run a time-consuming check of the sound volume and speech quality in Dragon.

Can anyone help, please?
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 23:19
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Just try shouting at it! Mar 8, 2017

No seriously, though...

I have had a vaguely similar problem under W7, but not using Dragon.
Just sometimes, for no discernable reason, it fails to recognize various audio devices (sometimes mic input, sometimes line output, on both front panel and rear panel sockets). Checking in Peripherals manager, they all appear to be selcetd and functioning correctly, but the only solution I found was to deactivate them, and then reactivate them all over again; although a bit uncertain,
... See more
No seriously, though...

I have had a vaguely similar problem under W7, but not using Dragon.
Just sometimes, for no discernable reason, it fails to recognize various audio devices (sometimes mic input, sometimes line output, on both front panel and rear panel sockets). Checking in Peripherals manager, they all appear to be selcetd and functioning correctly, but the only solution I found was to deactivate them, and then reactivate them all over again; although a bit uncertain, this seems to work — at least most of the time! It's almost as if Windows simply "forgets" that these devices are connected.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 23:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Mar 9, 2017

I get that when I unplug the headset from my main PC when I need to use it with an older PC using Windows 7, for example if I want to use Excel and WordFast at same time. I'm thinking about getting a spare set and leaving it permanently connected to the old PC.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon keeps telling me I don't have a microphone

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »