https://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/309164-dragon_ns_13_misunderstanding_everything_and_going_at_snails_pace.html&phpv_redirected=1

Dragon NS 13 misunderstanding everything and going at snail's pace!
Thread poster: Iseult Harrington
Iseult Harrington
Iseult Harrington  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2016

I finally went with Dragon NS 13 (premium) as per the advice of several fellow translators. However, despite my favourable laptop configurations and having completed the tutorial (within which, everything appears to move swiftly and efficiently), it goes at an unbelievebly slow pace, skips or misunderstands 25% of what I say. I have changed the slider to "fastest response", created a second user, to no avail....On a side note, despite enabling the option to use outside applications, I cannot ty... See more
I finally went with Dragon NS 13 (premium) as per the advice of several fellow translators. However, despite my favourable laptop configurations and having completed the tutorial (within which, everything appears to move swiftly and efficiently), it goes at an unbelievebly slow pace, skips or misunderstands 25% of what I say. I have changed the slider to "fastest response", created a second user, to no avail....On a side note, despite enabling the option to use outside applications, I cannot type directly into studio...has anyone had this problem? I am going to query it further with the vendors tomorrow, really don't want to have to return it as have heard great things about it but as it is at the moment, it is completely useless...Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
also ask over at KnowBrainer Nov 24, 2016

Iseulth wrote:

I finally went with Dragon NS 13 (premium) as per the advice of several fellow translators. However, despite my favourable laptop configurations and having completed the tutorial (within which, everything appears to move swiftly and efficiently), it goes at an unbelievebly slow pace, skips or misunderstands 25% of what I say. I have changed the slider to "fastest response", created a second user, to no avail....On a side note, despite enabling the option to use outside applications, I cannot type directly into studio...has anyone had this problem? I am going to query it further with the vendors tomorrow, really don't want to have to return it as have heard great things about it but as it is at the moment, it is completely useless...

You might also want to ask here: https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/categories.cfm?catid=4&entercat=y (not to detract from Proz.com, whose members are becoming increasingly aware of the benefits of voice recognition, but KnowBrainer is probably the best voice recognition forum online at the moment)

Iseult Harrington
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Think it's fixed, thanks! Nov 24, 2016

Think I got the problem fixed, thanks very much!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dictation software Nov 25, 2016

Iseulth,
Regardless of your laptop configuration (which should include at least 4 GB of RAM just for working with Dragon NS in my experience), the likeliest culprit could be the microphone.

First, Dragon NS 12.5 (I don't have 13 or later) does not recognize the onboard microphone in my laptop (I run Windows on Boot Camp in my 2009 MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM).

Second, the headset that comes with Dragon NS is a POS. Throw it away and buy yourself a profess
... See more
Iseulth,
Regardless of your laptop configuration (which should include at least 4 GB of RAM just for working with Dragon NS in my experience), the likeliest culprit could be the microphone.

First, Dragon NS 12.5 (I don't have 13 or later) does not recognize the onboard microphone in my laptop (I run Windows on Boot Camp in my 2009 MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM).

Second, the headset that comes with Dragon NS is a POS. Throw it away and buy yourself a professional-level microphone. I use an Audio Technica USB 2020 and it works like a charm.

I don't run Dragon NS on my CAT tools. Ever. I type faster than I speak around encapsulated codes.

What was the culprit in your particular situation? Too many programs open?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I do! Nov 25, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Iseulth,

Second, the headset that comes with Dragon NS is a POS. Throw it away and buy yourself a professional-level microphone. I use an Audio Technica USB 2020 and it works like a charm.

I don't run Dragon NS on my CAT tools. Ever. I type faster than I speak around encapsulated codes.

What was the culprit in your particular situation? Too many programs open?

Using sth like KnowBrainer 2017 (or even the built in voice command functionality offered in some versions of Dragon) you can easily insert tags in your segment. By the way, Déjà Vu X3 also offers full text control. So there is a lot that can be done by voice alone, and very quickly. It just takes a little thinking/practice to set it all up.

Iseult Harrington
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How did I live without Dragon for so long :-)) Nov 25, 2016

Mario, in the end, it was just a case of changing some configurations on my laptop, and yes, restarting the programme. I can now translate directly in Studio, gmail, etc and the pace is acceptable, and it correctly interprets 90% of what I dictate. Have only been using it for a few hours but am pretty impressed how it works!

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:19
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Accuracy Nov 29, 2016

Iseulth wrote:

I can now translate directly in Studio, gmail, etc and the pace is acceptable, and it correctly interprets 90% of what I dictate. Have only been using it for a few hours but am pretty impressed how it works!

Good to hear you're successfully using Dragon, Iseulth! You should be able to go higher than 90% accuracy, though. With a good microphone and some tweaks (adding specialized vocabulary to Dragon, for example), you should be able to see even higher accuracy.

You mention that you got DNS 13, and this is about DPI 14, but maybe you can pick up a few ideas here:

http://www.translationzone.com/video/beyond-dictation-how-to-control-studio-by-voice-with-dragon-naturally-speaking/111200/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon NS 13 misunderstanding everything and going at snail's pace!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »