Why Dictating is the Least Useful Feature of Dragon
Thread poster: Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
French to English
Dec 14, 2015

I just wrote a new blog post about this. If you've ever used dictation software, and specifically Dragon, you've usually begun using it for the purpose of dictating translations. But, did you know it has even more useful features than that? Here are some ways to increase productivity through using Dragon (or other software with similar functionality) in addition to the simple fact that it can help... See more
I just wrote a new blog post about this. If you've ever used dictation software, and specifically Dragon, you've usually begun using it for the purpose of dictating translations. But, did you know it has even more useful features than that? Here are some ways to increase productivity through using Dragon (or other software with similar functionality) in addition to the simple fact that it can help save you time and energy typing: http://successbyrx.com/2015/12/14/unlocking-dictation/Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Background sounds not an issue here Dec 15, 2015

I found myself agreeing with most of the points put forward in the blog, but I'm afraid I must take issue with the part about no distractions and "No listening to music or other sound".
Right now, I'm dictating this with my old Dragon version 11.5 while X-Ray Specs are belting out "Oh Bondage..." on the BBC in the background. I usually have music on - although not too loud - in the background when using Dragon and have never had any problems.

Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:10
German to English
Proofreading time Dec 15, 2015

I agree with much of it, too, but the amount of time I have to put into careful proofreading robs me of some of the time gains made from faster input. It is soooo easy for the brain to just read over incorrect words because they are ALL spelled right. Like the author says, careful proofreading is a must.

Jenae Spry
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good to hear! Dec 15, 2015

neilmac wrote:

I found myself agreeing with most of the points put forward in the blog, but I'm afraid I must take issue with the part about no distractions and "No listening to music or other sound".
Right now, I'm dictating this with my old Dragon version 11.5 while X-Ray Specs are belting out "Oh Bondage..." on the BBC in the background. I usually have music on - although not too loud - in the background when using Dragon and have never had any problems.

I listen to music in my headset sometimes so it works out but I think it depends on the type of mic you have as well as to how sensitive it is to other sound. This is great to hear though!

Jenae Spry
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
To me the net = extra time savings not extra time spent Dec 15, 2015

Ilka Nahmmacher wrote:

I agree with much of it, too, but the amount of time I have to put into careful proofreading robs me of some of the time gains made from faster input. It is soooo easy for the brain to just read over incorrect words because they are ALL spelled right. Like the author says, careful proofreading is a must.

The proofreading is an issue but dictation software gets better and better as you use it, increasingly eliminating that extra time. Moreover, it's just as easy to mistype it's vs its and both be spelled correctly as well. I think it's more an issue of proofreading differently with dictation software as opposed to more carefully. What I mean by that is that while a human might mistype its for it's, he or she would never type 2 instead of to, but Dragon might (though rarely).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why Dictating is the Least Useful Feature of Dragon

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »