Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Come join us in the VOICE RECOGNITION FOR TRANSLATORS panel this Wed.!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:44
Recognition quality Sep 29, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

One problem with voice recognition software is that less common languages may not be available.

I also asume that the quality of recognition is best for American English, lesser for e.g. Dutch.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Weird Sep 29, 2015

2nl wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

One problem with voice recognition software is that less common languages may not be available.

I also asume that the quality of recognition is best for American English, lesser for e.g. Dutch.

No - when you set the language to "American English" the pronunciation will be based on some middle-of-the-road version of American English. For Dutch, Hungarian, etc. I assume those packages are based on a standard version of those languages. It would be interesting to get some input from Czech users, Russian users etc.

I'm still hoping for "Dublin English", "Glasgow English" "Newcastle upon Tyne English" "Jamaican English", etc.

Although the Mac Dictation system is v. good overall, the version I use most (British English) does have some weirdnesses, which seem to be caused by being based on a London pronunciation and very average literacy level - e.g when I say "every day" the system types "everyday" or when I say "high" the system types "hi" - but I'm hoping these little annoyances will get ironed out as improvements are made (new version of the MacOS, including Dictation, is being released tomorrow - Wednesday).

I can't speak for the other languages. I imagine that similar minor problems exist in all voice dictation programmes but will eventually be ironed out by "schooling".

[Edited at 2015-09-29 13:13 GMT]

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:44
Russian to English
+ ...
Recording? Oct 4, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

The webinar will be recorded, so you’ll be able to watch it later if you miss it. (thanks Drew!)

Michael

Has the recording been posted yet? If so, where?

I was busy and missed the webinar.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Oct 4, 2015

James McVay wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

The webinar will be recorded, so you’ll be able to watch it later if you miss it. (thanks Drew!)

Michael

Has the recording been posted yet? If so, where?

I was busy and missed the webinar.

Hi James,

Yes, it's available from here: http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/668/program/10534

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Come join us in the VOICE RECOGNITION FOR TRANSLATORS panel this Wed.!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »