Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 13:40
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 16, 2015

Dear All,

Could anyone here recommend any satisfactory speech recognition or dictation software that has been developed specially for Chinese (including Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese)? Does Dragon Naturally Speaking offer any speech recognition or dictation software? Can any of these packages be used together with any CAT tool like Trados Studio and Wordfast?

Best regards

Shirley

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
语音输入 Jul 16, 2015

To the best of my knowledge, Dragon doesn't work for Chinese yet. But there are plenty of voice inputs for Chinese. All the phones have them, and I assume most of them have PC versions. Just a brief search turns up several, with Xunfei getting the most hits. I assume that these are all Mandarin, and that Cantonese is as yet much less developed.

You'll have to try them out and see which one you like.

Dragon is compatible with Trados, but I've never managed to get it work
... See more
To the best of my knowledge, Dragon doesn't work for Chinese yet. But there are plenty of voice inputs for Chinese. All the phones have them, and I assume most of them have PC versions. Just a brief search turns up several, with Xunfei getting the most hits. I assume that these are all Mandarin, and that Cantonese is as yet much less developed.

You'll have to try them out and see which one you like.

Dragon is compatible with Trados, but I've never managed to get it working well because I never worked out how to do the ctrl-return command. But I'm sure it's possible if you dig through the manual a bit. Otherwise, hitting the hard return every now and then isn't too much of a problem.
Collapse

Shirley Lao
Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Much appreciated Jul 17, 2015

Dear Phil,

Thank you very much for your input.

Best regards

Shirley

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speech Recognition or Dictation Software for Chinese

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »