Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2015

In the past week or so, my DNS version 11.5 has started crashing MS Word. I get a popup message saying there is a conflict with the DNS add-on and Word shuts down. I thought it might be because I only have 2 G of RAM on this PC, but it's also happening on a laptop with 4G RAM.

I wonder if anyone else is having similar problems, or knows what I can do about it.

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Something like that Jul 7, 2015

Hi.

I had a similar problem with DNS, but I was running it on Vista and it also made the same effect in my subtitling program, which uses Word's spellchecker. I contacted the DNS customer service and told me it wasn't a problem of their program, but of my programs, and offered me no solution whatsoever. The team of my subtitling program tried to help, but no luck. I upgraded to Windows 7 and stopped using DNS, because I was only trying to get used to it, so, I can't help you, but I
... See more
Hi.

I had a similar problem with DNS, but I was running it on Vista and it also made the same effect in my subtitling program, which uses Word's spellchecker. I contacted the DNS customer service and told me it wasn't a problem of their program, but of my programs, and offered me no solution whatsoever. The team of my subtitling program tried to help, but no luck. I upgraded to Windows 7 and stopped using DNS, because I was only trying to get used to it, so, I can't help you, but I whish you better luck than the one I had.

Best,
Marga

[Editado a las 2015-07-07 19:34 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also issues with WF Jul 7, 2015

Margarita Díaz wrote:

Hi.

I had a similar problem with DNS, but I was running it on Vista and it also made the same effect in my subtitling program, which uses Word's spellchecker. I contacted the DNS customer service and told me it wasn't a problem of their program, but of my programs, and offered me no solution whatsoever. The team of my subtitling program tried to help, but no luck. I upgraded to Windows 7 and stopped using DNS, because I was only trying to get used to it, so, I can't help you, but I whish you better luck than the one I had.

Best,
Marga

[Editado a las 2015-07-07 19:34 GMT]

Yes, the customer service is pretty useless. I'm also having similar issues with my Wordfast Classic - when I try to clean up a document, Word shuts down and I can't figure out why. The strange thing is that both Wordfast and Dragon worked fine (on both PCs) until quite recently... I'm going nuts because I have a backlog of work gradually piling up while I try to get this one job finished...

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Windows Update Jul 8, 2015

neilmac wrote:

In the past week or so, my DNS version 11.5 has started crashing MS Word. I get a popup message saying there is a conflict with the DNS add-on and Word shuts down. I thought it might be because I only have 2 G of RAM on this PC, but it's also happening on a laptop with 4G RAM.

I wonder if anyone else is having similar problems, or knows what I can do about it.

If Windows Update recently installed an Office update (depending on your Windows Update settings), you may try to "undo" the update and see what happens.

You may also try to delete the Normal.dot(x) file (with the usual precautions, ie keep a copy) that is loaded with Word at start-up. It regenerates (I think, if not, it's somewhere on your Install disk) the next time you open Word.

It also may have something to do with several instances of Word (Winword.exe) running in the background. Kill them all using Ctrl+Alt+Del or right-clicking the traskbar in Windows 7 and choosing Open Task manager.

Philippe

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Had similar problem Jul 8, 2015

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with Word 2007 on a Windows 8.1 PC with masses of RAM. I have two Dragon profiles, one for French and one for English and it was the English one that had the problems. I tried using Dragon to dictate in French and there were no problems at all. So, I created a new profile for English with a slightly different name and imported my vocabulary settings etc. from the old one (don't ask how, I don't remember). I checked all was working OK with the new profile a... See more
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with Word 2007 on a Windows 8.1 PC with masses of RAM. I have two Dragon profiles, one for French and one for English and it was the English one that had the problems. I tried using Dragon to dictate in French and there were no problems at all. So, I created a new profile for English with a slightly different name and imported my vocabulary settings etc. from the old one (don't ask how, I don't remember). I checked all was working OK with the new profile and then deleted the old one. Since then, no problems. This also solved problems I had started to get dictating into Wordfast Pro.

[Edited at 2015-07-08 16:26 GMT]
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Blame it on an overdose of TV Jul 9, 2015

I read the title as "Dragon Crashing World", which seemed more topical these days, or maybe, an overdose of TV has addled my brains.

[Edited at 2015-07-09 05:00 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstall solution Jul 10, 2015

In the end I reinstalled Dragon and it is now working again more or less normally, although on that PC I still need to activate the DNS add-in every time I open a new document in Word, for some reason.
However, I got my other PC, which until recently was my main one for working, reformatted and updated, and I switched back to working on that one now, so everything is back to normal again.

It turns out one of the issues I was having was because of frames and text boxes in the
... See more
In the end I reinstalled Dragon and it is now working again more or less normally, although on that PC I still need to activate the DNS add-in every time I open a new document in Word, for some reason.
However, I got my other PC, which until recently was my main one for working, reformatted and updated, and I switched back to working on that one now, so everything is back to normal again.

It turns out one of the issues I was having was because of frames and text boxes in the source document, which was a reall pain... but it's fixed now

[Edited at 2015-07-10 18:21 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
So you're actually on a PC? Jul 10, 2015

neilmac wrote:

In the end I reinstalled Dragon and it is now working again more or less normally, although on that PC

How about Dragon or OS X Dictation for Yosemite/El Capitan?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have used DNS for quite a bit of time Jul 11, 2015

only sporadically, though (depending also on the kind of document I have to translate - sometimes it's faster to type than to repeat over and over difficult terms or proper names and so on which Dragon won't spell correctly), but I must say with excellent results each time I got it to work properly when I needed it.

So far, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with Word or Wordfast Classic, but sometimes suddenly the user profile cannot be found or seems to be corrupt or something
... See more
only sporadically, though (depending also on the kind of document I have to translate - sometimes it's faster to type than to repeat over and over difficult terms or proper names and so on which Dragon won't spell correctly), but I must say with excellent results each time I got it to work properly when I needed it.

So far, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with Word or Wordfast Classic, but sometimes suddenly the user profile cannot be found or seems to be corrupt or something like this. Until now, I have managed to solve these issues, each time trying to manually restore and/or deleting and rebuilding the user profile, which appears not precisely to be very user friendly. Lately, I used to get the message "Failed to launch 64 bit server", whatever this means, and discovered then that the program does not open any more by clicking on the desktop icon, but only on the .exe in the program folder. No problem, I only have lost another hour or two reading through different threads of people having similar problems and trying to find a solution on my own as none of the tricks mentioned there worked. But I still do not know where the problem lies.

I have come to the conclusion that Dragon is a highly (too) complex program that probably is not able to solve efficiently its own failures and/or to interact properly with other software normally installed on our machines, with a not very helpful customer service. Sometimes you have no other solution than going again through the endless reinstallation process.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same problems... Jul 13, 2015

Christel Zipfel wrote:

So far, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with Word or Wordfast Classic, but sometimes suddenly the user profile cannot be found or seems to be corrupt or something like this. Until now, I have managed to solve these issues, each time trying to manually restore and/or deleting and rebuilding the user profile, which appears not precisely to be very user friendly.

I have come to the conclusion that Dragon is a highly (too) complex program that probably is not able to solve efficiently its own failures and/or to interact properly with other software normally installed on our machines, with a not very helpful customer service. Sometimes you have no other solution than going again through the endless reinstallation process.

I agree, I've had similar issues (I'm now on my user profile number 4 after having to reinstall Dragon several times). It is rather annoying, considering that the software is not cheap. A more effective customer service could surely be included in the price.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
What version of Dragon do you use? Jul 13, 2015

I'm about to buy Dragon Naturally Speaking, because I've otherwise always heard very good things about it, but am not sure about a few things:

Which version: Home, Premium or Professional? I don't need anything special, but it has to work with macros like Wordfast Classic and PerfectIt in MS Word. I am assuming "Premium" is what I need, but unsure and don't really feel like placing my faith in their sales people.

Is it necessary to regularly buy a new version (they see
... See more
I'm about to buy Dragon Naturally Speaking, because I've otherwise always heard very good things about it, but am not sure about a few things:

Which version: Home, Premium or Professional? I don't need anything special, but it has to work with macros like Wordfast Classic and PerfectIt in MS Word. I am assuming "Premium" is what I need, but unsure and don't really feel like placing my faith in their sales people.

Is it necessary to regularly buy a new version (they seem to be selling software and not just a license for a fixed period of time)? I have an old version of ABBYY Finereader and it doesn't have any trouble, but that is obviously not the way everything works.

Could either of these issues be linked to the problems discussed here?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DNS Premium v. 11.5 Jul 16, 2015

Michael Wetzel wrote:

Is it necessary to regularly buy a new version (they seem to be selling software and not just a license for a fixed period of time)? ...

Like my friend who recommended it to me, I chose Premium because it was in the middle, so I assumed it wouldn't be TOO professional, i.e. stuffed full of features that I wouldn't be likely to use, or too unprofessional, i.e. lacking in features which I might require as a freelancer.

I use DNS version 11.5 and it does everything I need it to, as long as it is working and there are no bugs. I use it in conjunction with WordFast Classic and MS Office, but CAVEAT - the MS Office 20103 version is not WFC friendly - it only works with Word and you can't use it on XL or PPT files, as I found out this week to my great annoyance. I don't think you need to regularly buy new versions - I got my original Dragon with a CD and I just reinstall it when any problems crop up. They do have a range of software which they try to sell, but they don't really pester you like some other companies.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Thank you. Jul 16, 2015

That (and the fact that the professional version costs several hundred euro) makes my decision very easy.

That's good to know about the new version of MS Office and Wf Classic, but to be honest, I'm fairly certain that I've never had an inquiry about an Excel-file and certainly less than five about Powerpoint files over the last six years. I guess I'll just update with my new computer and hope for the best.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:48
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
A couple of points about buying Dragon etc. Jul 16, 2015

Do not buy it from Nuance! Get it from KnowBrainer instead!!! (http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2 )

That way you
... See more
Do not buy it from Nuance! Get it from KnowBrainer instead!!! (http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2 )

That way you get fantastic service, and an active forum (http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm?nocookies=yes ) where you can ask questions and get answers from people that really know what they are talking about when it comes to speech recognition software. I even seem to remember that I ended up paying less than I would have if I had bought it straight from Nuance.

Which version you should get will depend on whether you are planning to use various of the advanced macro features (among other things), which are only available in the professional versions.

I also know that the recognition engine improved greatly between versions 11/12 and 13 (I have 13 Pro). For example, with 13 it is now possible to use a normal desktop mic or even the one built into your laptop (although you will still get the best possible results from one of those microphones you wear on your head).

[Edited at 2015-07-16 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Addendum Jul 17, 2015

Still no Word crashing, actually.

But today I got a new message, when *I needed to use Dragon* (see my previous post): Audio input device could not be found! or something like that. Everything was there and ready, though. Yet again 15 or 20 minutes lost with several attempts - anyway, by far too much! - until I finally got it to work. I had to go again through a volume check and so on.

For an otherwise really useful programme, this is very unnerving because, when I wan
... See more
Still no Word crashing, actually.

But today I got a new message, when *I needed to use Dragon* (see my previous post): Audio input device could not be found! or something like that. Everything was there and ready, though. Yet again 15 or 20 minutes lost with several attempts - anyway, by far too much! - until I finally got it to work. I had to go again through a volume check and so on.

For an otherwise really useful programme, this is very unnerving because, when I want to use it, that's because I am short of time, and instead ... I am supposed to lose still more time!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon crashing Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »