When will DNS 12 and SDL Studio ever work together?
Thread poster: Philippe Morgan de Rivery
Philippe Morgan de Rivery
Philippe Morgan de Rivery  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:00
Member (2009)
English to French
Jun 20, 2015

Hi everyone,

Based on people claiming that DNS 12 and SDL Studio 2014 can work together, I bought DNS 12 Premium in French (I translate from English to French). However, it seems that there is no way to put the first letter of the sentence in caps, I haven't found any voice command to the next segment, and in general I found that it was not working very well at all. Because of that, I haven't used DNS 12 at all since I bought it and feel that I have wasted my money.

I
... See more
Hi everyone,

Based on people claiming that DNS 12 and SDL Studio 2014 can work together, I bought DNS 12 Premium in French (I translate from English to French). However, it seems that there is no way to put the first letter of the sentence in caps, I haven't found any voice command to the next segment, and in general I found that it was not working very well at all. Because of that, I haven't used DNS 12 at all since I bought it and feel that I have wasted my money.

I think that there should be a simple way for DNS and SDL to work together and develop a better compatibility between the two programs in a next version (or by releasing a plugin on Translation zone). I know that it is not like they have to do it, but SDL is still the most popular CAT tool on the market and it is a pity that translators are not able to use DNS with it since it can really improve productivity and prevent typing-related injuries.

If anyone from SDL and/or DNS is listening... thank you for considering this request!

Philippe

PS I also requested this feature on the Translation zone website but so far, alas, to no avail.
Collapse

Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Czech to English
+ ...
Caps and next segments Jun 20, 2015

I simply start each segment/sentence with "Cap...", then, to move on to the next segment, I say "press control enter", all the time while sitting on my hands... Surely there must be something similar in the French version?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:00
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Studio doesn't offer so-called Dragon "Full Text Control" Jun 20, 2015

Philippe Morgan de Rivery wrote:

Hi everyone,

I think that there should be a simple way for DNS and SDL to work together and develop a better compatibility between the two programs in a next version (or by releasing a plugin on Translation zone). I know that it is not like they have to do it, but SDL is still the most popular CAT tool on the market and it is a pity that translators are not able to use DNS with it since it can really improve productivity and prevent typing-related injuries.

If anyone from SDL and/or DNS is listening... thank you for considering this request!

Philippe

PS I also requested this feature on the Translation zone website but so far, alas, to no avail.

Hi Philippe,

The best place to ask questions about Dragon is probably the Know-Brainer forum, which is located at: http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm?nocookies=yes

The problem you are experiencing is that Studio doesn't offer so-called Dragon "Full Text Control". In fact, most CAT tools don’t (including my own, CafeTran). As far as I know, the only two that do at the moment are memoQ and Dejà Vu. However, there are still ways to make very good use of Dragon when translating in a CAT tool that does not support Full Text Control.

The problem of the first letter not being capitalised in each segment is annoying, but a temporary workaround is to just say "cap" before each segment. A bit tedious, to be sure, but you get used to it after a while. I’m sure there must be a way to devise a clever macro to do this automatically, for example with AutoHotkey or KnowBrainer 2015, or Keyboard Maestro if you're on a Mac.

Speaking of macro tools, I have found that the best way to get the most out of Dragon when translating in a CAT tool that doesn't support Full Text Control is to use something like KnowBrainer 2015 (http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=92 ). This amazing program allows you to do all kinds of things by voice alone. If you combine it with AutoHotkey, it gets even better. For example, I currently have KnowBrainer commands to do all of the following when translating in CafeTran:

• add term to CafeTran glossary,
• delete glossary entry,
• confirm and move to next segment,
• run concordance search (in TMs, TBs, external databases or online resources),
• delete all text from the cursor until the end of the current segment,
• insert a variety of regular expressions for use in CafeTran glossaries,
etc.

It shouldn't be that difficult for the developers of Studio to add Full Text Control, seeing as how the program is Windows-based. Sadly, things are a bit more problematic with Java-based programs, such as my own CafeTran. So if I were you I would send a request to SDL asking for this feature.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
change hard-to-remember or lengthy voice commands into better ones Jun 20, 2015

Stuart Hoskins wrote:

I simply start each segment/sentence with "Cap...", then, to move on to the next segment, I say "press control enter", all the time while sitting on my hands... Surely there must be something similar in the French version?

The cool thing about KnowBrainer 2015 is that it lets you change hard-to-remember or lengthy voice commands into better ones. For example, you could change "press control enter" to "confirm", or "next segment".

Michael

PS: the same can also be achieved with "Vocola" (which is free): http://vocola.net/default.asp

[Edited at 2015-06-20 17:05 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
"en maj" in FR Jun 20, 2015

Michael wrote:
...but a temporary workaround is to just say "cap" before each segment. A bit tedious, to be sure, but you get used to it after a while...

For the rest I don't know, I use MemoQ.

Philippe

[Edited at 2015-06-20 18:06 GMT]

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:00
English to French
caps with DNS French Jun 21, 2015

I use DNS in Studio 2011, WordFast pro, Catalyst lite, and a couple other rarer tools. Few of these use DNS compatible text fields. In a compatible field caps are handled properly and DNS even looks up the context (or seems to) to make intelligent choices. In the non-compatible text fields, DNS would want you to use the dictation box and then cut and paste, which is of course irrealistic, so you have set early on the dictation mode to accept non-compatible text fields, and you have to deal with ... See more
I use DNS in Studio 2011, WordFast pro, Catalyst lite, and a couple other rarer tools. Few of these use DNS compatible text fields. In a compatible field caps are handled properly and DNS even looks up the context (or seems to) to make intelligent choices. In the non-compatible text fields, DNS would want you to use the dictation box and then cut and paste, which is of course irrealistic, so you have set early on the dictation mode to accept non-compatible text fields, and you have to deal with their quirks. The safe way is to start your dictation by "En maj..." or "En min...". That will force a first uppercase/lowercase. "Activer toutes maj..." toggles to all caps, and will be cancelled in the next text field (segment), or by waiting too long, or by saying "annuler maj". (useful for sentences with just a word or three in all caps for highlight). If you don't specify "en maj", expect that text starting in a blank field WILL start with a cap, but text REPLACING previous text even at the beginning of the field will be lower case. Thus, selecting the first half of your fuzzy match and dictating over it, you must say "en maj".

Hope this helps,

Thomas
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Studio 2015 Jun 22, 2015

I recently attended one of the SDL roadshows to launch Studio 2015 in London and one of the new points they mentioned was that the new version will allow you to automatically set initial caps, which will be very welcome! I found this a pain at first, as I was used to Wordfast where there are Pandora's box settings to work with Dragon, but I must admit I've got used to saying Cap now and it's really not an issue. I never use Dragon to move between segments, etc and find the odd key combination to... See more
I recently attended one of the SDL roadshows to launch Studio 2015 in London and one of the new points they mentioned was that the new version will allow you to automatically set initial caps, which will be very welcome! I found this a pain at first, as I was used to Wordfast where there are Pandora's box settings to work with Dragon, but I must admit I've got used to saying Cap now and it's really not an issue. I never use Dragon to move between segments, etc and find the odd key combination to do so no real effort. The typing itself was what brought on my RSI, so once you're dictating the bulk of that, it makes a huge difference in terms of pain reduction and productivity. I find it works equally well with both Studio 2014 and Wordfast, and can't understand why others have problems....Collapse

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
WHen will DNS work? (full stop/period) Jun 30, 2015

I use memoQ 2015 and DNS 14 (or whichever the latest version is) - DNS is useless, it crashes all the time and can't be restarted without closing everything and restarting the computer. It crashes Adobe Flash player, i.e., it causes problems when browsing even if not been used, just active.
Don't get me wrong, when it works it's good and increases productivity but I find myself questioning this increase if I have to restart my comp several times a day......

Nuance, the manufac
... See more
I use memoQ 2015 and DNS 14 (or whichever the latest version is) - DNS is useless, it crashes all the time and can't be restarted without closing everything and restarting the computer. It crashes Adobe Flash player, i.e., it causes problems when browsing even if not been used, just active.
Don't get me wrong, when it works it's good and increases productivity but I find myself questioning this increase if I have to restart my comp several times a day......

Nuance, the manufacturer, offers very little support for these problems - in fact their "support" pages are just full of posts from unsatisfied customers who receive neither replies nor solutions. In my opinion the product doesn't work if it crashes every hour. Most customers seem to prefer older, more stable verions - I don't know about that as I only started using it recently, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone loses their time and money on this one until Nuance are more forthcoming with some solutions.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Neil, Jun 30, 2015

Neil Ashby wrote:

Nuance, the manufacturer, offers very little support for these problems - in fact their "support" pages are just full of posts from unsatisfied customers who receive neither replies nor solutions. In my opinion the product doesn't work if it crashes every hour. Most customers seem to prefer older, more stable verions - I don't know about that as I only started using it recently, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone loses their time and money on this one until Nuance are more forthcoming with some solutions.

Are you on a Mac or a PC? My Dragon never crashes. I have Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13 Pro on Windows.

I agree though, Nuance's support is terrible. You'd be much better off asking here: http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm?nocookies=yes

I would also recommend buying Dragon from KnowBrainer, rather than straight from Nuance, as then you will actually get great support.

Michael

[Edited at 2015-06-30 12:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When will DNS 12 and SDL Studio ever work together?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »