Thread poster: Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
French to English
Feb 25, 2015

Hello all,
I have been trying to combine using DNS Premium with Wordfast 6.13, but am finding it is very slow to respond and write and am faced with continual crashes of Word (Word not responding) which is very frustrating. I am using a new computer with Word 2013 and Windows 8.1 installed. Has anyone had any similar experiences or can anyone offer any insight on this?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Fine here Feb 25, 2015

Hi Anne,

I use Wordfast 6.07 with Word 2013 and Windows 8.1, but with Dragon Home (11.5, I think) and no speed-related issues at all. I can't see why a different version of Dragon should cause problems, but maybe you could try loading an earlier version of Wordfast just to see if you still get the same problems?

Hope you sort it out - how frustrating!

Claire

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 25, 2015

Thanks Claire
I don't know whether the issue is compatibility between the programmes, issues with the new computer, or something else, but it is all very annoying. Dragon seems to work fine when dictating straight into Word though, so I guess it must be something to do with Wordfast and Dragon together. Might try your suggestion.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Works fine for me Feb 25, 2015

I'm using Wordfast classic and Dragon 11.5 and they seem to work fine. My main PC's operating system is a sort of hybrid of Windows 2007 (because I wanted to be able to use my CD dictionaries, which don't work on 64-bit systems), but they also work fine on my backup PC which has Office 2010 on it and the Windows version that came before 8, whatever that was.

My tech guy told me not to bother with Windows 8 because he said it is more designed for mobile devices rather than PCs or lap
... See more
I'm using Wordfast classic and Dragon 11.5 and they seem to work fine. My main PC's operating system is a sort of hybrid of Windows 2007 (because I wanted to be able to use my CD dictionaries, which don't work on 64-bit systems), but they also work fine on my backup PC which has Office 2010 on it and the Windows version that came before 8, whatever that was.

My tech guy told me not to bother with Windows 8 because he said it is more designed for mobile devices rather than PCs or laptops and there would be no advantage for me in upgrading.
Collapse

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 25, 2015

Well I just bought a new PC which had Windows 8 installed. Not terribly clued up about these things. Can you install an earlier version of Windows?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reinstall earlier Windows version Feb 25, 2015

Anne Greaves wrote:

Well I just bought a new PC which had Windows 8 installed. Not terribly clued up about these things. Can you install an earlier version of Windows?

Should be no problem - but I always get somebody who knows what they're doing to do it for me. Pre-installed software often includes a lot of generally useless programs which you can do without if you're using the PC mainly for translating/work rather than leisure pursuits.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility of Wordfast and Dragon Naturally Speaking

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »