Italy
Local time: 19:32
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 4, 2014

Dear Colleagues,
I have just bought dns12 for windows.
Since I translate mainly medical texts, I was looking also for the medical dictionary, but I cannot find it on the Internet for DNS 12.
Do you know if it is still on sale?
Thank you very much and Happy 2014!
Bruno

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Adding terms Jan 5, 2014

I don't know whether there's a specific dictionary for medical terms, but have you considered using the Add words from specific documents dialogue? You can have DNS scan documents you've already translated. It will identify words not in Dragon's dictionary and suggest them for addition. You may find that you need to do some training as you encounter new terms while translating, but you should need to train each term only once.

I'm sure you're aware that there's a version of DNS inte
... See more
I don't know whether there's a specific dictionary for medical terms, but have you considered using the Add words from specific documents dialogue? You can have DNS scan documents you've already translated. It will identify words not in Dragon's dictionary and suggest them for addition. You may find that you need to do some training as you encounter new terms while translating, but you should need to train each term only once.

I'm sure you're aware that there's a version of DNS intended specifically for doctors, but it's expensive and has some features a translator doesn't need.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am quite surprised by Dragon Jan 5, 2014

James McVay wrote:

I'm sure you're aware that there's a version of DNS intended specifically for doctors, but it's expensive and has some features a translator doesn't need.

Dear James,
thank you very much for your answer.
Indeed, I am quite surprised by the precision of Dragon.
I have trained it with some translated files and I have seen that it recognizes some of the medical terms already.
However, I have not been able to add list of words, because Dragon says they "are not lists of words" (.txt file).
Maybe you are right about the medical version of Dragon, but for what concerns the medical dictionary (not the medical version), its price should be about 200 €, so it should be a good investment.
Thank you again for your help and Happy 2014!

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 20:32
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Vocabulary Jan 5, 2014

Bruno Depascale wrote:

I have trained it with some translated files and I have seen that it recognizes some of the medical terms already.

However, I have not been able to add list of words, because Dragon says they "are not lists of words" (.txt file).

Apart from training DNS to better recognise what you say, you can also add terms to it's vocabulary. Dragon types what you say, but to do that, it has to have the word you want to type in it's vocabulary.

In the English interface, options to add to that built-in vocabulary are under the tab "vocabulary". You can let Dragon analyse written documents, and there are also options to add glossaries. So, for example, if you already have a term base in your CAT tool, you could export that to Dragon as a monolingual list.

Likewise, if you have a purchased term list, you could add that too. I personally don't know if there are specific vocabularies on sale that you could import into Dragon. If there are, I would be interested to hear about them (for Dutch).

For more information:

http://www.nuance.com/ucmprod/groups/dragon/@web/documents/collateral/nc_008224.pdf

and

http://www.speakeasysolutions.com/blog/2012/01/24/dragon-medical-vs-non-medical-dragon-naturallyspeaking-premium/

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Steven! Jan 5, 2014

Steven Segaert wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Apart from training DNS to better recognise what you say, you can also add terms to it's vocabulary. Dragon types what you say, but to do that, it has to have the word you want to type in it's vocabulary.

In the English interface, options to add to that built-in vocabulary are under the tab "vocabulary". You can let Dragon analyse written documents, and there are also options to add glossaries. So, for example, if you already have a term base in your CAT tool, you could export that to Dragon as a monolingual list.

Likewise, if you have a purchased term list, you could add that too. I personally don't know if there are specific vocabularies on sale that you could import into Dragon. If there are, I would be interested to hear about them (for Dutch).

For more information:

http://www.nuance.com/ucmprod/groups/dragon/@web/documents/collateral/nc_008224.pdf

and

http://www.speakeasysolutions.com/blog/2012/01/24/dragon-medical-vs-non-medical-dragon-naturallyspeaking-premium/

Thank you for your precious information Steven!
Indeed, I have just added my Italian multiterm termbase to Dragon.
The only problem is that such termbase contained also many English terms on the Italian side, so I hope Dragon won't get confused!
Thank you again!

Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 17:32
Icelandic to English
check this link Jan 5, 2014

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Dear Colleagues,
I have just bought dns12 for windows.
Since I translate mainly medical texts, I was looking also for the medical dictionary, but I cannot find it on the Internet for DNS 12.
Do you know if it is still on sale?
Thank you very much and Happy 2014!
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

See if this link helps: http://www.slideshare.net/KnowBrainer/provsmed-22815401

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 11:32
English
Medical Vocabs Jan 13, 2014

There are Medical vocabularies available and they are the same as the ones in the official Dragon Medical Practice Edition but they are all strictly US English spellings so I don't know how much value they would hold. Here is a bit more about them http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=448&idcategory=79

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon naturally speaking and medical dictionary

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »