Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2013

Hello! everybody.
I'm starting to use DNS Premium 12 with Trados 2011.
I normally translate from EN to IT and I purchased the DNS version that supports the English( United Kingdom) accent.
I really don't understand how can I use Trados 2011 and DNS together and let them recognise the two languages, English to command Trados's functionality and Italian to translate the source text helped by DNS Premium 12.
Hoping the help request is clear, I really appreciate any suggesti
... See more
Hello! everybody.
I'm starting to use DNS Premium 12 with Trados 2011.
I normally translate from EN to IT and I purchased the DNS version that supports the English( United Kingdom) accent.
I really don't understand how can I use Trados 2011 and DNS together and let them recognise the two languages, English to command Trados's functionality and Italian to translate the source text helped by DNS Premium 12.
Hoping the help request is clear, I really appreciate any suggestion.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Piero Intonti
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 12:20
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
UI Oct 27, 2013

Hi Piero,

I don't think the user interface of Studio 2011 is available in Italian. Which means you can't control it in that language.

If you know the keyboard combinations for commands, you can however tell Dragon to press this or that key.

In any case, I would suggest you use DNS together with the keyboard / mouse. Trying to command the OS and software by voice only is in any case rather difficult (or at least it is to me).

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:20
Russian to English
+ ...
Are you sure... Oct 27, 2013

Are you sure you bought the right version of DNS? You said you normally go from En to It. Each version of DNS recognizes only one language. There is an Italian version:

See more
Are you sure you bought the right version of DNS? You said you normally go from En to It. Each version of DNS recognizes only one language. There is an Italian version:

http://nuance.software.net/store/swnet/ContentTheme/pbPage.nuanceus-ms_dragon-naturally-speaking-11-premium/ThemeID.16645600?resid=Um2Djwoydg8AAHdsWmYAAAAJ&rests=1382908815449
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not all versions are monolingual Oct 28, 2013

James McVay wrote:

Each version of DNS recognizes only one language.

I'm not sure that is true. The Dutch premium version, for example, also supports English, French and German (and switching between the four). That might also be the case with the Italian one.

It is however not possible to switch "between words", so you can't dictate in one language and command in another at the same time.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Forgive my ignorance, but... Oct 28, 2013

I freely admit I know nothing about VR, Trados, or Italian — but from the little I have understood so far from previous discussions about VR, can't you just teach it that when you say 'grazie', it types 'thanks' — or the equivalent as needed for your MMI commands (which after all represent a strictly limited set of terms). So DNS understands in your dictation language (IT, right?) but its glossary 'translates' for you into EN for the MMI — or indeed vice-versa if i've remembered that wrongly.

Piero Intonti
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DNS and Trados 2011 Oct 28, 2013

Thanks a lot to all of you.
I think that using Trados ( in this case 2011). anyone has to deal with at least two languages. So I thought to purchase the DNS Eglish version in order to master the Trados's commands in English , open document, save, etc.
I supposed it were a kind of "setting mode "in DNS letting me translating in Italian.
After all, to follow James's suggestion, if I purchased the Italian version, I could speak and (type) only in Italian. The problem is the same.<
... See more
Thanks a lot to all of you.
I think that using Trados ( in this case 2011). anyone has to deal with at least two languages. So I thought to purchase the DNS Eglish version in order to master the Trados's commands in English , open document, save, etc.
I supposed it were a kind of "setting mode "in DNS letting me translating in Italian.
After all, to follow James's suggestion, if I purchased the Italian version, I could speak and (type) only in Italian. The problem is the same.
Piero
Collapse

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Disabled? Oct 28, 2013

A long-time DNS user, I rarely dictate most of the commands DNS supports. It's simply quicker to use the keyboard and mouse. I typically dictate with one hand on the mouse and one ready to pounce on the control, C, V and Z keys, among others. But the DNS commands can be a necessity for the disabled, of course.

But consider getting the Pro version of DNS. It supports creation of macros that -- I imagine -- would let you replicate just about any combination of keyboard and mouse actio
... See more
A long-time DNS user, I rarely dictate most of the commands DNS supports. It's simply quicker to use the keyboard and mouse. I typically dictate with one hand on the mouse and one ready to pounce on the control, C, V and Z keys, among others. But the DNS commands can be a necessity for the disabled, of course.

But consider getting the Pro version of DNS. It supports creation of macros that -- I imagine -- would let you replicate just about any combination of keyboard and mouse actions. I can't speak from firsthand knowledge about that, though. I have the Premium version.
Collapse

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Multiple languages Oct 31, 2013

I learned something today. Peter "The Dictator" Mahoney at Nuance has a video on the subject:

http://www.nuance.com/videoplayer/videoplayer.asp?h=390&n=b22NNUe6ju0&src=YOUTUBE&w=640&p=&autoPlay=false&videoPage=true

Peter says a single version of Dragon can support multiple languages.
... See more
I learned something today. Peter "The Dictator" Mahoney at Nuance has a video on the subject:

http://www.nuance.com/videoplayer/videoplayer.asp?h=390&n=b22NNUe6ju0&src=YOUTUBE&w=640&p=&autoPlay=false&videoPage=true

Peter says a single version of Dragon can support multiple languages.

He says if you have a non-English version of Dragon it also includes the English version. To switch from one language to the other, you have to switch profiles. That, of course, means you have to create both an English and an Italian profile. Unfortunately, he didn't say how to do that. He left it as an exercise for the student, I guess.

I also found an earlier ProZ.com forum posting on this subject started back in 2005:

http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/28088-does_dragon_naturally_speaking_work_with_more_than_one_language.html

One poster said:

"From the DNS7 Users Guide pg 16...

"Some editions of DNS 7 let you create and train users in multiple languages.

"If you have purchased an edition with support for more than one
language, you can add additional languages by choosing "Custom Install" during Setup.

"For Pro and Higher Editions, if you didn't select additional languages during Setup, you can select an additional language when you create a new user"

"I think this means you buy a 2 language version e.g. English and French plus let's say single language versions in Spanish and Italian. Then install the Eng+Fr version using "Custom Install" and when prompted you add the Spanish and Italian.Sounds like you need to set aside a lot of time as you will have to install all 3 in sequence without a break! I would definitely back this up using Norton Ghost, True Image or similar."

But I have no idea how current that pprocess is. You might want to contact Nuance directly.

[Edited at 2013-10-31 15:47 GMT]
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Profiles Oct 31, 2013

That's easy (in version 12.5 Premium). Just install and make a profile. Afterwards, you can add another profile simply by choosing "Profile" > "New user profile". Go through a few readings to set things up, and that's it.

Piero Intonti
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The right language for DNS Premium 12 and Trados 2011 Nov 1, 2013

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
It has been very useful.
Piero Intonti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the right language using Trados 2011 and DNS Premium 12

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »