Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Dragon Naturally Speaking
Thread poster: Barbara Cashin (X)
Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to French
Using for several years now -- FR version Sep 17, 2013

I could not possibly offer the low rates the market now requires without it, I just don't type fast enough. I've found the following:
(1) It works MUCH better when you dictate a whole sentence or at least phrase. So don't count on it for editing.
(2) Many errors of homophony, that you will have to get used to correcting. Standard workflow has to be: dictate 1 segment, fix it, move on, then reproof the entire document WITH FRESH EYES. I've done the tired proofing several times with d
... See more
I could not possibly offer the low rates the market now requires without it, I just don't type fast enough. I've found the following:
(1) It works MUCH better when you dictate a whole sentence or at least phrase. So don't count on it for editing.
(2) Many errors of homophony, that you will have to get used to correcting. Standard workflow has to be: dictate 1 segment, fix it, move on, then reproof the entire document WITH FRESH EYES. I've done the tired proofing several times with dire consequences.
(3) Your style will be more native when you speak than when you type, so it's a plus in that respect.
(4) DO use a noice-cancellation mike on a headset, and work in a silent room. It makes a difference.

Happy use
Collapse

Barbara Cashin (X)
Barbara Cashin (X)
Local time: 07:12
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks once again to everyone Sep 18, 2013

I have received so many useful tips. It looks like DNS should be a great help.

I hope that I have the mental capacity to work with it. I sometimes think I have a rather scattergun approach to translation - going straight at it instead of thinking out the whole sentence and then going back and correcting, so I will have to become more ordered in my thoughts.

Everyone's advice has been very helpful

Rgds
Barbara

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 08:12
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Same with me Sep 18, 2013

I hope that I have the mental capacity to work with it. I sometimes think I have a rather scattergun approach to translation - going straight at it instead of thinking out the whole sentence and then going back and correcting, so I will have to become more ordered in my thoughts.

That's what has been keeping me off so far. It seems that I need to type away wildly at first, read it and then fix it. I've always been someone that gets good results only through visual contact with language and has had problems dealing with spoken language. But I do recognize that this is a limitation and would like to overcome it - I am basically just waiting for a calmer period where I have time to get used to working with DNS.

And I am still interested in anyone's experiences with DNS used within browser environments. Anyone?

Best regards,
Sarah

Esther Pugh
Esther Pugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Interesting topic Jul 3, 2014

The typing is killing me.
I use WF Anywhere, so can someone tell me how they use speech recognition with a CAT tool? Just open the segment, put cursor in target segment and dictate?
What about the tags?

[Edited at 2014-07-03 15:48 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Speaking as typing Jul 3, 2014

Esther_P wrote:

The typing is killing me.
I use WF Anywhere, so can someone tell me how they use speech recognition with a CAT tool? Just open the segment, put cursor in target segment and dictate?
What about the tags?

[Edited at 2014-07-03 15:48 GMT]

I'd like to know that too.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Charging to little is bad for all of us Jul 3, 2014

Thomas Rebotier wrote:

I could not possibly offer the low rates the market now requires without it, I just don't type fast enough. ....

I just read your statement, Thomas, and please, don't get mad at me, but the acceptance of low rates by translators is a big problem in our industry. I don't know which rates you charge, but there is a difference between professional and unprofessional rates/translators/clients.

There is no need to follow a trend that is instigated by companies exploiting willing translators. I can't agree with a statement that the market requires ever lower rates and that we all have to accept these low rates and spend more money on software to work for ever less money. I couldn't run my business that way.

And the use of CAT tools should not be construed as a reason or even need to have to offer lower rates based on the assumption that you couldn't otherwise continue as a successful translator - because the market supposedly dictates these low rates.

That whole thinking and opinion about the professional translation market is wrong IMO. But it hurts us all, the more translators give in to some unprofessional demands by unprofessional agencies.

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Determining_your_rates_and_fees_as_a_translator
Unfortunately, the reality is that more and more translators are acquiescing and agree too willingly to the lower rates just to get the work.

Barbara Cashin (X)
Barbara Cashin (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
This has been really interesting Jul 5, 2014

I have been using DNS for a number of months now and most of the time find it very good for all the reasons others have listed. I have also encountered the same drawbacks. I had a little trouble getting rid of the dictation box at the start, but now, I just dictate straight into the segment. A slight drawback is that it usually puts in a space at the beginning of a segment.

I also have the same scattergun approach Anna Sarah mentioned and yes, you do have to think a little more abo
... See more
I have been using DNS for a number of months now and most of the time find it very good for all the reasons others have listed. I have also encountered the same drawbacks. I had a little trouble getting rid of the dictation box at the start, but now, I just dictate straight into the segment. A slight drawback is that it usually puts in a space at the beginning of a segment.

I also have the same scattergun approach Anna Sarah mentioned and yes, you do have to think a little more about how you want to translate a sentence. For difficult texts, I am not sure that there is a time benefit to the software, but the main objective - which was to avoid the RSI to my hands - has been achieved.

Incidentally, anyone else who suffers from pain in the hands may find it interesting to know that my physical therapist recommended using a power ball. It is a godsend. Driving long distances is no longer so unconfortable

So thanks once again to everyone who contributed
Collapse

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
Watch out for extraneous noise that mucks up your dictation Aug 28, 2014

Maxime Bujakov wrote:

Barbara Cashin wrote:

I tried it many years ago and couldn't train the program to understand me. I assume and hope that the software is much improved since then.

Any contribution to the subject would be very welcome.

Best wishes

Barbara Cashin

Dear Barbara,

I have been enjoying various versions of Dragon Naturally ... since 2004 whenever I work into English.

One day I set a record of 9000 words translated in one day.

How I trained Dragon: it has a function to be glossary/frequency trained with MS Word files input (which, in our case, would be the Target language part of your TM extracted into an MS Word file).
But beware, if you feed in some typos it will be a bummer.

I use Dragon primarily with Trados workbench in MS Word.
If I have to work in TagEditor, I usually do a trick of copying plain text from TagEditor into Word, then sky-rocketing my productivity thanks to excellent Word's typing aids,
then manually adding tags in TagEditor using pre-translated fuzzy matches fed by Trados.

Cheers!

I'd like to mention that I used to use Dragon for some years, and then had to buy a new computer. It was a notebook and though I loved everything else about it, it had a noisy fan that cooled it off (improved performance and life!). BUT. What the computer's noise did was make it impossible to use any dictation program. I stopped, and went back to typing. Recently, worsening eyesight is forcing me to adopt what amount to "visually handicapped people solutions". I have gotten a special extra-quiet computer, a desktop from Puget (google them! their ratings are top and worth every penny for the extra performance and silence), and this has allowed me to dictate again. So helpful for my eyes and the arthritis in my hands. I can't say how helpful. It was accurate almost right out of the box with only one reading of sample text and barely any document analysis (because all my old translations are on the old notebook). Consider the "quiet computer" solution for dictating if you have had problems getting dictation to work. It solved my problem. I never thought I would be able to dictate again until I worked that issue out.

Barbara Cashin (X)
Barbara Cashin (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Be careful Sep 8, 2014

Someone mentioned a problem with tags. Unfortunately, you just have to intervene with the mouse now and again, but generally speaking, I have enjoyed working with DNS since I got it - so thanks to everyone who encouraged me to use it. It is certainly necessary to be careful and you can get quite funny results at times.

One funny thing that happened was that at one stage I was getting crazy results and thought I would have to retrain my dragon. My partner thought it might feel I had
... See more
Someone mentioned a problem with tags. Unfortunately, you just have to intervene with the mouse now and again, but generally speaking, I have enjoyed working with DNS since I got it - so thanks to everyone who encouraged me to use it. It is certainly necessary to be careful and you can get quite funny results at times.

One funny thing that happened was that at one stage I was getting crazy results and thought I would have to retrain my dragon. My partner thought it might feel I had been neglecting it and that it wanted a little holiday.

I retrained it and was still getting nutty results. I should mention that I use a laptop but I have an ergonomic keyboard attached to it and a separate, larger screen, so that the laptop lid is closed. It was a few days before I realised that I had failed to plug in the microphone, so that when I tried to use DNS, it was only picking up sound from the closed laptop. No wonder my poor dragon was confused!
Collapse

Philippe Morgan de Rivery
Philippe Morgan de Rivery  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:12
Member (2009)
English to French
DNS 12 not working with SDL Studio 2014 Feb 28, 2015

Hello everyone,

I want to state that DNS 12 is NOT working with SDL Studio 2014, at least not at a level which I would find acceptable. I am an English to French translator who bought DNS 12 a few weeks ago and discovered:

1. That DNS 12 does not automatically capitalize the first letter of a sentence in Studio 2014.

2. That some of the accents in French do not appear correctly (e.g., ingenieur instead of ingénieur)

3. That there doesn't seem
... See more
Hello everyone,

I want to state that DNS 12 is NOT working with SDL Studio 2014, at least not at a level which I would find acceptable. I am an English to French translator who bought DNS 12 a few weeks ago and discovered:

1. That DNS 12 does not automatically capitalize the first letter of a sentence in Studio 2014.

2. That some of the accents in French do not appear correctly (e.g., ingenieur instead of ingénieur)

3. That there doesn't seem to be a command to move to the next segment instead of using the Ctrl + Enter keyboard shortcut.

The only way to circumvent these issues is to use the dictation box and copy-paste each translation in Studio (using the Transfer button, no voice command available either), which is pretty annoying and tends to cancel the advantages of speech dictation in terms of speed and convenience.

I recently downloaded a demo version of MemoQ and found out that indeed, Dragon is working much better there. But I just missed the end of the year group buy and doesn't know if paying for MemoQ just to use Dragon is really worth it (especially as it seems that MemoQ tends to have other limitations, for instance for termbases where it is not possible to add more information than just the source and target word, when I imported a termbase from Studio some useful information had to be discarded).

That being said, if DNS and Studio work on a better integration of their applications, or if someone releases a plugin, even not free, I would definitely be interested.

Philippe
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Naturally Speaking

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »