Activating Win 7 Speech Recognition on a non-English OS
Thread poster: Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Local time: 18:28
Czech to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2013

Although I want to use Speech Recognition in English, I have Czech Windows, so the SR function is disabled (or perhaps missing entirely). If my aim is to use SR just for speech-to-text (i.e. not to control the whole computer with voice commands, but only for translation purposes), is there any way of activating this?

(Background: I was all set to buy DNS, but then Russell’s comment
... See more
Although I want to use Speech Recognition in English, I have Czech Windows, so the SR function is disabled (or perhaps missing entirely). If my aim is to use SR just for speech-to-text (i.e. not to control the whole computer with voice commands, but only for translation purposes), is there any way of activating this?

(Background: I was all set to buy DNS, but then Russell’s comment here http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/190597-dns_differences_between_the_premium_and_home_editions.html made me think about Win 7’s Speech Recognition.)
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:28
Russian to English
+ ...
If I were you… Sep 3, 2013

I wouldn't let Russell's comment stop me from using Dragon, if I were you. A lot of Michael's comparison of Dragon Standard (called Home Edition now) with Dragon Preferred (Premium) in that same discussion also applies to Windows 7 speech recognition.

I started out using Win 7 speech recognition but found it too limited for professional use. I invested in Dragon 11 and have sinceupgraded to Dragon 12.5. I feel my increased productivity has more than repaid my investment.

[Edi
... See more
I wouldn't let Russell's comment stop me from using Dragon, if I were you. A lot of Michael's comparison of Dragon Standard (called Home Edition now) with Dragon Preferred (Premium) in that same discussion also applies to Windows 7 speech recognition.

I started out using Win 7 speech recognition but found it too limited for professional use. I invested in Dragon 11 and have sinceupgraded to Dragon 12.5. I feel my increased productivity has more than repaid my investment.

[Edited at 2013-09-04 14:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-04 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Dragon wins hands down Sep 3, 2013

I compared Dragon 12 to built-in Windows 8 speech recogniser on my new computer just a week ago. Dragon has several different speech models; the most advanced one, BestMatch V, is very CPU-intensive and would be hopelessly lagging on an old machine. However, on my new quad-core i7 it worked like a charm and after 5 minutes of training recognised two paragraphs of text from my recent translation without a single error. Conversely, Windows built-in module had lots of problems.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go for Dragon Sep 4, 2013

Like so many other Microsoft W7 bells and whistles, their speech recog SW is (ahem) not very good. I recommend Dragon and I don't think it's too expensive.

[Edited at 2013-09-04 08:54 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Sep 4, 2013

James McVay wrote:

I wouldn't let Russell's comment stop me from using Dragon, if I were you... I feel my increased productivity has more than repaid my investment.

Ditto! Apart from the productivity angle, I also have fewer problems with wrist and back pain since I started using Dragon 3 years ago (I know this sounds like an advert, but it's true).

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
A little more on Dragon vs. Windows Sep 11, 2013

Continuing to try Dragon, I was surprised to see how big its dictionary is. Even the general-purpose version (not the medical one) successfully recognised such words as "anti-cholinestherase", "neuromuscular" or "cyclodextrin". It also knows the NATO phonetic alphabet (e.g. saying "alpha bravo charlie delta" instantly produces ABCD). On the other hand, Windows recognition seems to be tuned to the consumer or managerial vocabulary - in particular, it recognised "landing" as "lending" on several a... See more
Continuing to try Dragon, I was surprised to see how big its dictionary is. Even the general-purpose version (not the medical one) successfully recognised such words as "anti-cholinestherase", "neuromuscular" or "cyclodextrin". It also knows the NATO phonetic alphabet (e.g. saying "alpha bravo charlie delta" instantly produces ABCD). On the other hand, Windows recognition seems to be tuned to the consumer or managerial vocabulary - in particular, it recognised "landing" as "lending" on several attempts, even though I tried to pronounce the word very clearly.Collapse

Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Dragon, where have you been all my life? Sep 11, 2013

I bought Dragon (Home Edition 12) based on the recommendations here and I’m very impressed. The only downsides are that (i) Trados is a must for me (a hefty chunk of EUR-Lex in there), so as far as I can make out I need to use the dictation box (I can’t edit and train directly in Trados), which slows things down, and (ii) my attempts to train “s.r.o.” and “a.s.” (Ltd and Plc in Czech) have failed, which is a bit of a pain. The tip on the NATO phonetic alphabet will be very handy. Thanks.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Sep 11, 2013

I installed my old copy of DNS 11 on a new computer yesterday. I hadn't realised that the Home version doesn't allow you to export the user profile from the old computer, so I had to retrain it. It took me about fifteen minutes to achieve 98% recognition accuracy. That's how good a product DNS is - unlike so much software, it improves your productivity and makes you more money.

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Old user profile Sep 11, 2013

Phil, you can extract the old user profile manually, just by copying the appropriate files from the old computer to the same location on the new one. In my case, they are in c:\ProgramData\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking12\Users\Anton - this is for Windows 7 or 8.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Anton Sep 11, 2013

I didn't know that. Thanks very much, and I'll make a note for next time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Activating Win 7 Speech Recognition on a non-English OS

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »