DNS German & Windows Portuguese - possible?
Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 01:32
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 10, 2012

I am thinking about purchasing Dragon Naturally Speaking, the German version.
But as I bought my PC in Portugal, it operates a Portuguese version of Windows 7.

Has anyone experience with this kind of situation - will all features of the Program work properly?

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dragon speech recognition Feb 11, 2012

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, only in the English version, but have a French version of Windows. So far my research suggests you can set Dragon to any language, and operating system shouldn't have any effect. However the research is still ongoing - it's too expensive to make a mistake with.
Speech recognition is definitely what the French professional organisation recommends as a first step rather than CAT tools.
Tell me how do you get on with your keyboard? I have a Fren
... See more
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, only in the English version, but have a French version of Windows. So far my research suggests you can set Dragon to any language, and operating system shouldn't have any effect. However the research is still ongoing - it's too expensive to make a mistake with.
Speech recognition is definitely what the French professional organisation recommends as a first step rather than CAT tools.
Tell me how do you get on with your keyboard? I have a French keyboard and find I can't type at my usual 80+ wpm when writing in English, which is why I'm looking for speech recognition software!
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Feb 14, 2012

I decided to give it a try, and it works. I can open my programs by just telling my computer to do so, independently of the Windows version. I like this software, it works surprisingly well.

I switch between the Portuguese and German keyboard without problems - at first I had to guess which key is where, but one gets used fast. But it is always fun to have any member of my Portuguese familiy use my laptop and to watch them get desperate as it appears an "ö" instead of a "ç"..... See more
I decided to give it a try, and it works. I can open my programs by just telling my computer to do so, independently of the Windows version. I like this software, it works surprisingly well.

I switch between the Portuguese and German keyboard without problems - at first I had to guess which key is where, but one gets used fast. But it is always fun to have any member of my Portuguese familiy use my laptop and to watch them get desperate as it appears an "ö" instead of a "ç"..
Collapse

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Brilliant Feb 14, 2012

Great news. Now I can go ahead and get the program. However, my sons tell me my computer is totally outdated (2005 model) and suggest I get a new one - do they think I'm made of money?

Just out of curiousity I borrowed an English keyboard which worked fine, except I couldn't type any faster on that in English either as I'm now so used to the French one!!

Roll on the nDragon, and bonne chance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS German & Windows Portuguese - possible?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »