Speech Recognition Program! Suggestion please?
Thread poster: Anthony Indra
Anthony Indra
Anthony Indra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:17
Member (2002)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Apr 9, 2002

Hi All,

I\'ve read a very interesting discussion regarding Speech Recognition Program. With this dictation machine, we translators are able to translate in a much faster speed. (We, in fact, break the Sound Barrier! )

So far, I\'ve tried so many programs, but with no avail. Either the program is so wrong, or my computer is so introvert.

But, seriously, most of the program is very English-oriented, and can not understand other lang
... See more
Hi All,

I\'ve read a very interesting discussion regarding Speech Recognition Program. With this dictation machine, we translators are able to translate in a much faster speed. (We, in fact, break the Sound Barrier! )

So far, I\'ve tried so many programs, but with no avail. Either the program is so wrong, or my computer is so introvert.

But, seriously, most of the program is very English-oriented, and can not understand other language prononciation.

I am willing, to write down every Indonesian word and make the speech recognition of it, so I can use it later on.

Is there any program that support this kind of method? (Something like \'make your own dictate collection\') If it is working with some language, it will be working for all language!

Any suggestion, are much welcomed.

Cheers from Jakarta, Indonesia,

Anthony Indra

English-Indonesian Translator

Collapse

Timothy Stroud
Timothy Stroud
Local time: 13:17
Italian to English
VR and time invested Apr 9, 2002

Dear Anthony

Both Dragon and ViaVoice allow you to record and re-record all the words you like. However, I don\'t suggest you try it because the time involved is enormous and there is no guarantee you will have accurate text when you finish. I have invested a lot of time in ViaVoice version 9, bought an expensive Shure microphone, changed my sound card and upgraded to 320 MB of RAM, and still ViaVoice only gives me about 93% accuracy. It is much quicker to type, frankly.

Best
... See more
Dear Anthony

Both Dragon and ViaVoice allow you to record and re-record all the words you like. However, I don\'t suggest you try it because the time involved is enormous and there is no guarantee you will have accurate text when you finish. I have invested a lot of time in ViaVoice version 9, bought an expensive Shure microphone, changed my sound card and upgraded to 320 MB of RAM, and still ViaVoice only gives me about 93% accuracy. It is much quicker to type, frankly.

Best wishes

Tim Stroud
Collapse

FranH (X)
FranH (X)
French to English
+ ...
Anyone tried the new Dragon edition? Apr 9, 2002

I was intending to buy a speech recognition programme, but after reading some IT magazines, I thought I would wait until the new Dragon programme came out. Has anyone tried this yet? Is it an improvement on its rival, ViaVoice 9 and if not, is there any point in bothering?

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dragon NS 5 - Italian Apr 10, 2002

I recently bought DNS 5 (Italian - I was told by the distributor DNS 6 won\'t be available in Italian for several months yet) and frankly it\'s better than I expected.

I followed the initial \"training\" dictation supplied with the program a few times, and it gets better the more I use it as it learns to match my pronounciation with the spelling I want and I found it easy to teach it unusual words like InDesign, Photoshop, PageMaker with all the correct capitals (it learns simply thro
... See more
I recently bought DNS 5 (Italian - I was told by the distributor DNS 6 won\'t be available in Italian for several months yet) and frankly it\'s better than I expected.

I followed the initial \"training\" dictation supplied with the program a few times, and it gets better the more I use it as it learns to match my pronounciation with the spelling I want and I found it easy to teach it unusual words like InDesign, Photoshop, PageMaker with all the correct capitals (it learns simply through the corrections you make to the dictated text, or through a special window where you can input pronounciation and spelling, eg. for Italian, I told it that the sound \"fotosciòp\" should be spelled Photoshop).

It still makes a few mistakes, but all in all the time saved speaking at a normal pace instead of typing plus the time needed to correct the few errors is a big (sorry, not quantified yet) improvement on the time spent typing + correcting my own typing errors.

It takes a little while to learn the various commands for upper cases, punctuation and corrections, and to get used to speaking at a normal speed (which gives you better results vs speaking slowly and with pauses), and this made me realise that actually the slower typing process gives me the time needed to formulate the correct sentence in the target language.

So I find it more appropriate for certain translations (the ones which come as second nature) than for others (the ones that need more thinking)

I did not do any upgrade to the system, and am using the microphone supplied with the sw; and I was surprised to see that the results stayed the same even with background noises such as kids playing or watching TV nearby.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-10 05:11 ]
Collapse

Timothy Stroud
Timothy Stroud
Italian to English
A note to Fran Apr 10, 2002

Dear Fran

Dragon 6 is available in US English but will not be out in \'British\' English until September. I do not know about other language versions. ViaVoice 9 is identical to version 8 with the exception it has been upgraded for use with XP.

Tim Stroud

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speech Recognition Program! Suggestion please?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »