Dragon Naturally Speaking and Trados 2011
Thread poster: Stefanie Bogaerts
Stefanie Bogaerts
Stefanie Bogaerts
Local time: 12:13
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 9, 2011

I consider bying Trados 2011 but I can't find any confirmation that this version cooperates with Dragon Naturally Speaking. Currently I use Dragon with Trados 2007, but only in Word. When I tried using Dragon in TagEditor, I got an error and couldn't continue.
Does anyone have any experience using Dragon with Trados 2011?

Johan Venter
Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
MemoQ Nov 9, 2011

I don't know if Dragon Naturally Speaking Working works in Trados, but I use it MemoQ, which is a highly effective CAT tool, and it works like a charm (once it got used to my accent).

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Search in ProZ Nov 10, 2011

Hi Stefanie,

It's always worth doing a quick search in this forum first and you will find examples of where users are working with Studio and DNS. I took a quick look, as I did meet a couple of users at the ATA this year who shared their positive experiences of working with Studio and DNS, so here's a couple of links with users who do
... See more
Hi Stefanie,

It's always worth doing a quick search in this forum first and you will find examples of where users are working with Studio and DNS. I took a quick look, as I did meet a couple of users at the ATA this year who shared their positive experiences of working with Studio and DNS, so here's a couple of links with users who do this:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/186724-studio:_getting_a_tab_delimited_file_from_sdlxliff_file.html#1637932

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/205153-can_studio_2009_auto_capitalize_the_first_letter_of_the_target_segment.html

It hasn't been a big discussion topic (unless I missed it) in this forum but there are users doing it.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Stefanie Bogaerts
Stefanie Bogaerts
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no info on Trados 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Hi Paul,
thanks for your reply. I did search on Proz and also found the second topic you mentioned, but there is no information on DNS working correctly with Trados Studio 2011. This topic only mentions Studio 2009. I suppose this means that it works for 2011 as well, but I just want to make sure, because I don't know what the changes are from 2009 to 2011.
Thanks anyway.
Stefanie

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
On Studio 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Hi Stefanie,

Ok, I see where you're coming from. To be honest, we don't specifically test the software with DNS anyway so I'm not sure if any of the changes we have made will affect the way DNS users work with Studio.

But perhaps it would be interesting to do this with the next release. So if anyone who uses DNS a lot would be interested in doing some Beta testing on the next major release, and also providing feedback on how well they find DNS works with the current bu
... See more
Hi Stefanie,

Ok, I see where you're coming from. To be honest, we don't specifically test the software with DNS anyway so I'm not sure if any of the changes we have made will affect the way DNS users work with Studio.

But perhaps it would be interesting to do this with the next release. So if anyone who uses DNS a lot would be interested in doing some Beta testing on the next major release, and also providing feedback on how well they find DNS works with the current build of Studio 2011 then please drop me an email. It would be interesting to see if there was anything we could do to enhance the experience for these users. I can't guarantee when we would do this until we can see what would be required, but getting the feedback would be a good place to start.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
Swedish to English
+ ...
Works fine Nov 10, 2011

Stefanie Bogaerts wrote:
I consider bying Trados 2011 but I can't find any confirmation that this version cooperates with Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Two weeks ago, to a similar query, I replied :
I have DNS 11.5 and Trados 2011. Work fine together

When I tried using Dragon in TagEditor, I got an error and couldn't continue.

I have used Dragon with TagEditor many times. Works OK.

Stefanie Bogaerts
Stefanie Bogaerts
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Peter! Nov 10, 2011

Thanks for your reply. This means I have to get some bug out of my TagEditor or DNS.

Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
DNS 13 sometimes works and sometimes doesn't Jan 23, 2015

Sometimes Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 works fine page after page and sometimes it simply won't ply ball. The only way to be sure it will is to use DNS's Tools > Dictation Box solution, which can also be called up using voice. A box appears, and when you have 'filled' it you simply click/say "Transfer". This is a pain when the source text is full of tags, though, so some kind of compatibility testing would be neat. I don't use Dragon for fun, but because I physically can't type for more than a ... See more
Sometimes Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 works fine page after page and sometimes it simply won't ply ball. The only way to be sure it will is to use DNS's Tools > Dictation Box solution, which can also be called up using voice. A box appears, and when you have 'filled' it you simply click/say "Transfer". This is a pain when the source text is full of tags, though, so some kind of compatibility testing would be neat. I don't use Dragon for fun, but because I physically can't type for more than a few minutes at a time and need to get my job done.

It would be very neat if Nuance could provide more detail about why things do and don't work. It was murder using DNS with 2009, but then that was murder anyhow, IMHO. I've never once had a problem with TagEditor and I've been dictating in Trados since 2000 or so.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Naturally Speaking and Trados 2011

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »