Thread poster: James McVay
James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:21
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2011

I just upgraded from DNS 10 to DNS 11, and I love it so far. I do have one problem, however. I'm using it with Microsoft Word 2007 and WordFast classic. DNS 10 automatically capitalizes the first letter when moving to new segment. DNS 11 doesn't--it leaves the initial letter uncapitalized. Is there some setting in DNS 11 or in MS Word that I'm not aware of?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast command Apr 13, 2011

I use DNS11 with Wordfast Classic too and have found that the initial letter is still capitalised. However, as far as I'm aware, this is a Wordfast command (Capitalize First Target Letter) in Pandora's box, rather than a specific Dragon feature. Have you checked that this is enabled?

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not it Apr 14, 2011

Pandora's box is enabled and Capitalize First Target Letter is also enabled, but the initial letter in a target segment is lowercase.

It's not a big deal, but having the first letter capitalized automatically would save the fraction of a second it takes to say "cap." And fractions of seconds do add up.

Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 05:21
Russian to English
+ ...
Trados and initial caps Apr 14, 2011

I find the "cap" also really reduces flow and introduces recognition errors.

Trados also does not provide the cap.

I think this may be due to a lack of compliance with the SAPI protocol for speech recognition.....

I sure would like a solution!

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
French to English
+ ...
Does pressing Alt + Down not cause it to change? Apr 14, 2011

I find that with the PB command enabled, when I press Alt Down to validate the segment, the initial letter is automatically capitalised, even if it isn't capitalised as I dictate. Does this not work for you?

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just not working… Apr 14, 2011

Claire Cox wrote:

I find that with the PB command enabled, when I press Alt Down to validate the segment, the initial letter is automatically capitalised, even if it isn't capitalised as I dictate. Does this not work for you?

No, it doesn't capitalize after I validate a segment either.

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Claire's right Apr 16, 2011

After more experience using DNS 11 with WordFast Classic I have found that Claire is right. The initial letter in a segment usually capitalized is when I validate the segment by pressing ALT+down. Not always, though. However, I do wonder why the change...

On balance, DNS is a definite productivity boost. It seems to be more accurate, for one thing; and some irritating time-consuming quirks with the way it collaborated with MS Word have been fixed. For example, when I selected
... See more
After more experience using DNS 11 with WordFast Classic I have found that Claire is right. The initial letter in a segment usually capitalized is when I validate the segment by pressing ALT+down. Not always, though. However, I do wonder why the change...

On balance, DNS is a definite productivity boost. It seems to be more accurate, for one thing; and some irritating time-consuming quirks with the way it collaborated with MS Word have been fixed. For example, when I selected a word or phrase for correction with DNS 10, it would sometimes replace letters from words I hadn't selected, or it would delete the space between words. And if I corrected or inserted a word on the left of any line in a segment -- not just the first one -- it would always get capitalized.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS 11 and initial caps

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »