Thread poster: Adrian Grant
LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
The REAL advantage of DNS... Jan 7, 2011

... isn't only the fact that you don't have to type, and that you will be working faster unless you belong to the 1 percent of humanity that can type as fast as they talk without developing a condition that warrants a visit to the doctor...

...no, the REAL advantage is that you need not be glued to your desk but can wander around the room and get some footwork in while dictating, provided you use a wireless headset. I've been doing just that for the past two years or so, set up my r
... See more
... isn't only the fact that you don't have to type, and that you will be working faster unless you belong to the 1 percent of humanity that can type as fast as they talk without developing a condition that warrants a visit to the doctor...

...no, the REAL advantage is that you need not be glued to your desk but can wander around the room and get some footwork in while dictating, provided you use a wireless headset. I've been doing just that for the past two years or so, set up my room so I can see the screen from virtually any point in my room, and added a wireless keyboard and mouse in an elevated position so I can intervene manually any time without having to return to my desk to sit down. Walking refreshes both body and mind; getting away from the screen broadens your horizon, not just visually but also mentally.

On a different note: did a client ever send you a frayed pdf that you couldn't OCR for use with a CAT tool? I get these occasionally, and I really dislike them since they upset my workflow. Recently, someone sent me a claim that must have been a sixth copy. What to do? My trusted typist (my wife) was away, so I decided to dictate the whole thing, and, voilà, in the space of 15 minutes I had an editable file that I could feed to the CAT. Perfect!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much faster with DNS?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »