MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 19:53
Italian to German
+ ...
Nov 26, 2010

Hi,

On the Kilgray site, www.kilgray.com in the news section you will find a nice video showing a professional translator using Dragon Naturally Speaking with MemoQ.

I recommend watching this video for anyone (like myself) who plans to use this kind of speech recognition software, also if you're using a different CAT tool, the principle and functionality remains the same.

I'm
... See more
Hi,

On the Kilgray site, www.kilgray.com in the news section you will find a nice video showing a professional translator using Dragon Naturally Speaking with MemoQ.

I recommend watching this video for anyone (like myself) who plans to use this kind of speech recognition software, also if you're using a different CAT tool, the principle and functionality remains the same.

I'm planing to use DNS in German an I'm trying to figure out how to program the CAT tool's command keys to be used by DNS and also to reproduce the workflow shown in the video.

In which mode DNS will work like shown in the video, "normal mode" or "dictate mode"?

Thanks for your comments!

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
if you're using a different CAT tool Nov 26, 2010

note that in very few CAT tools, if any, DNS works perfectly!

indeed, DNS is a MS Word macro so it's fully functional only in this text editor

in Tag Editor for example, you cannot say "Select this", and the same in SDLX

Wordfast is quite fine and I don't know the situation for SDL Studio and others

Claudio

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too bad... There's still a lot to do in our industry! Nov 26, 2010

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

note that in very few CAT tools, if any, DNS works perfectly!

indeed, DNS is a MS Word macro so it's fully functional only in this text editor

in Tag Editor for example, you cannot say "Select this", and the same in SDLX

Wordfast is quite fine and I don't know the situation for SDL Studio and others

Claudio

Ciao Claudio,
well, I didn't want to appear as a promoter (which I am not paid for), therefore my suggestion to also try it with other tools, but it's bad news that it won't work in specific interfaces.

Personally, I don't mind working with MemoQ: I I've been working with it with satisfaction for 2 years now using a third-party word/phrase completer to speed up the typing. But after seeing this video I feel I could work even more effectively by using Dragon, especially if I could COMBINE the typing and voice-over.

I will also give it a try in Studio 2009 SP2 and Déjà Vu.

Thanks for your feedback,
Mike

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
DNS in action with CAT Tools - Video Nov 26, 2010

Hi Mike

I didn't say that DNS doesn't work with CATs, but simply that it doesn't work 100% with every CATs ...

so, it works perfectly with Wordfast Classic, as they are both MS Word macros, and it works with limitations, that can be more or less severe, with the others

and note that the Preferred and Professional versions work better and into more softwares versus the Standard version

so, I still think that using DNS is a great idea, and I use
... See more
Hi Mike

I didn't say that DNS doesn't work with CATs, but simply that it doesn't work 100% with every CATs ...

so, it works perfectly with Wordfast Classic, as they are both MS Word macros, and it works with limitations, that can be more or less severe, with the others

and note that the Preferred and Professional versions work better and into more softwares versus the Standard version

so, I still think that using DNS is a great idea, and I use it since 2001 indeed

Claudio
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Testing Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium v.11 (German/English) Nov 27, 2010

The today's poll (27.11.2010) was about speach recognition, so I will paste here my answer:

-----------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm just testing Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium v.11 (German/English) and I'm rather impressed.
I can speak fast and clearly and the sentence will complete in no time, also when using unusual words (which can be trained anyway).

In rare occasions, words will be written in german as 2 capitalized word
... See more
The today's poll (27.11.2010) was about speach recognition, so I will paste here my answer:

-----------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm just testing Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium v.11 (German/English) and I'm rather impressed.
I can speak fast and clearly and the sentence will complete in no time, also when using unusual words (which can be trained anyway).

In rare occasions, words will be written in german as 2 capitalized words (Mehrfach Anwendungen) and I would like just to give the command "einziges Wort, groß", or giving a command like "confirm" to confirm the segment in a CAT tool. But this luxury means: you must pay 300 Euro more to get the Professional version of Dragon in which you can write your own command scripts.

I recommend to use a computer with a modern, fast processor (e.g. INTEL x2 Core 2.53 GH) and at least 2GB RAM (4GB, the today's standard is much better).

I have tested it in MemoQ, but I will give it a try in Trados Studio and DVX.

The big question is: Is it faster than a fast typist by considering the corrections you must do? Until I'm not really trained with Dragon, I cannot tell, but I'm impressed about the possibility of COMBINING the typing and the dictating.

----------------------------------------

Note:
By reading the forum here, I found the very handy advice of using AutoHotKey, an Open Source tool which allows you to configure hotkeys and a lot more. So, the "Standard" version of Dragon can be used at a reasonable price (in my opinion).

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Test run with different CAT tools Nov 29, 2010

Hi,

I've just finished my test run with DNS using different CAT tools.
The statement made in my first post above as "the principle and functionality remains the same" was way too optimistic and wrong.
In fact Dragon works perfectly only in a MS WORD-like interface, as Claudio already mentioned above.

MemoQ
Wordfast series
Déjà Vu
Trados 2007 with MS Word (not with TagEditor!)
All CAT tools using MS WORD (Metatexis etc...)

... See more
Hi,

I've just finished my test run with DNS using different CAT tools.
The statement made in my first post above as "the principle and functionality remains the same" was way too optimistic and wrong.
In fact Dragon works perfectly only in a MS WORD-like interface, as Claudio already mentioned above.

MemoQ
Wordfast series
Déjà Vu
Trados 2007 with MS Word (not with TagEditor!)
All CAT tools using MS WORD (Metatexis etc...)

All these work perfectly with Dragon, as the interfaces allow you to select and expand specific phrases with the mouse and Dragon will therefore "recognize" them as a MS WORD interface.

In other CAT tools with special interfaces, things get limited:

Trados Studio:
The beginning of a segment will start in lowercase when dictating
The voice commands to mark words/phrases and edit them will not work
Dictating an expression which is in the Termbase will move the cursor in the Termbase window, a real pain.

If there is a workaround for this last glitch, then maybe Studio can be used with Dragon as a combination of voice-over and typing (taking profit from the Autosuggest feature), otherwise Dragon can hardly be used effectively with Studio.

SDLX & TagEditor: not tested, but probably the marking of words/phrases will not work either.

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 17:53
Icelandic to English
More details on tests, please Dec 7, 2010

MikeTrans wrote:

MemoQ
Wordfast series

All these work perfectly with Dragon, as the interfaces allow you to select and expand specific phrases with the mouse and Dragon will therefore "recognize" them as a MS WORD interface.

Hi Mike,

Would you fill me in on some technical details about your testing?

OS, 32-bit or 64-bit, processor and speed, GB of RAM, Word version (i.e., 2007, 2010).

I am running Win 7 HP, 64-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.40GHz, 4.0GB DDR2, Word 2007.

I used DNS from version 4 to 9.5. Somewhere along the line I started using Wordfast Classic. I put up with DNS quirks for years because it was the best. The quirks included failure to capitalize in the WF target segment and jumping cursor, but the final straw was when Word 2007 gave v. 9.5 the jitters.

I changed over to WSR, and all of the above disappeared. The trade-off was a much less functional interface.

So, I am wondering if forking out for an upgrade to DNS 11 would be a good idea.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Teague

Björn Houben
Björn Houben  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hovering box Dec 9, 2010

And another quick question:

Does the little yellow box that shows you the recognized words still hover next to the text?

I find the box very irritating in CAT tools, since it often covers segments while you're thinking, so you'll drag it away manually, only to find it back again a few seconds later after you dictated another bit. It used to be somewhere near the Dragon bar in the old editions, but since version 10 (or 9), it hovers next to your text.

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
hovering box in fixed position Dec 9, 2010

Actually, you can fit the hovering box in any position you want, Björn. Go to Tools > Options > View, and you will find the appropriate checkbox.

These menu items may be different in your DNS, I am just guessing them as I run the German-language version.

Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 17:53
Icelandic to English
no more box Dec 9, 2010

Björn Houben wrote:
Does the little yellow box that shows you the recognized words still hover next to the text?

Björn,

I don't have DNS 11, but from reading discussion of it elsewhere, I think the box has been eliminated. The GUI is said to be much improved. See, for example, http://www.pcspeak.com/products/reviewr11.shtml/:

"...instead of the Results box of previous versions, displays only a discreet indicator that recognition is in progress..."

This is an excellent review.

Daniel

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DNS 11... Dec 10, 2010

Hi,

I didn't use any version of Dragon prior DNS 11 Premium, so I cannot tell the exact differences, but by reading the "What's new" section of the help file there seem to be significant differences in

- lots of commands, especially simplified commands added
- text manipulation when text is already present (selecting and changing parts of text etc.)

Li
... See more
Hi,

I didn't use any version of Dragon prior DNS 11 Premium, so I cannot tell the exact differences, but by reading the "What's new" section of the help file there seem to be significant differences in

- lots of commands, especially simplified commands added
- text manipulation when text is already present (selecting and changing parts of text etc.)

Link:
www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

---------------------------------
@Daniel,
please check your PM.
---------------------------------

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS in action with CAT Tools - Video

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »