KnowBrainer Review of NaturallySpeaking 11
Thread poster: Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 07:20
English
Sep 4, 2010

We have just finished our review of NaturallySpeaking 11. Our apologies for taking so long but there was a lot to cover. In the end, we decided to combine our Short Review and our Extended Review in the same document. The 1st review (Short Review) is aimed at anyone looking for quick information on the new Ver. 11 features and recommendations. It's also a good read for those who are still on the fence and haven't decided if they wish to upgrade.

The Extended Review covers more deta
... See more
We have just finished our review of NaturallySpeaking 11. Our apologies for taking so long but there was a lot to cover. In the end, we decided to combine our Short Review and our Extended Review in the same document. The 1st review (Short Review) is aimed at anyone looking for quick information on the new Ver. 11 features and recommendations. It's also a good read for those who are still on the fence and haven't decided if they wish to upgrade.

The Extended Review covers more details, takes a peek under the hood and includes the usual pros and cons that we typically cover in our reviews. Click http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/DNS_11_Review.pdf for the details.
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
loving it so far Sep 4, 2010

Tom,

Thanks for sharing this review. I only glanced at the short version's conclusion but hope to read the extended version in its entirety. I'm glad to see it got a positive review.

I installed DNS 11 earlier this morning, and I am very happy so far. I can see that it is faster/more accurate and that a lot of thought has been put into making the commands and toolbars more intuitively accessible.

I don't want to say too much until I've used it for a few mo
... See more
Tom,

Thanks for sharing this review. I only glanced at the short version's conclusion but hope to read the extended version in its entirety. I'm glad to see it got a positive review.

I installed DNS 11 earlier this morning, and I am very happy so far. I can see that it is faster/more accurate and that a lot of thought has been put into making the commands and toolbars more intuitively accessible.

I don't want to say too much until I've used it for a few more days, but for those "on the fence," Nuance is offering a 30-day money-back guarantee, and so I'd encourage people to try it out.

Patricia
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 09:20
English
+ ...
I like it too. Sep 4, 2010

I've had mine for a week.

There has been some time wasted retraining some of my custom words, but overall I am pleased with the upgrade.

Michael

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
still satisfied Sep 9, 2010

Now that I've had DNS 11 for 5 days, I thought I'd add a few comments to what I'd said about it on the day I installed it.

HEADPHONES/BLUETOOTH:

I was using DNS 11 with only the microphone that is built into the laptop, but the accuracy was not good (certainly not what had been promised). I used to use a Plantronics bluetooth that was specially designed for DNS, but it died on me after a little more than a year. To get a new one with this upgrade from version 10 to 11,
... See more
Now that I've had DNS 11 for 5 days, I thought I'd add a few comments to what I'd said about it on the day I installed it.

HEADPHONES/BLUETOOTH:

I was using DNS 11 with only the microphone that is built into the laptop, but the accuracy was not good (certainly not what had been promised). I used to use a Plantronics bluetooth that was specially designed for DNS, but it died on me after a little more than a year. To get a new one with this upgrade from version 10 to 11, I would have had to shell out US$100, so I tried using my Plantronics bluetooth for my telephone--it is shaped entirely differently from the one designed for DNS. Accuracy was also not good.

So, now I'm having to wear the headset that came free with the upgrade, and the accuracy is great. But I hate having to take it off my head every time I want to get up, and the cord is annoying (and I always worry one of the dogs will decide it's a leash, grab it--with laptop attached--and run to the door to go for a walk!).

That said, this headset is a big improvement over the one Nuance was giving for free when I first got Dragon in 2008.

FLY-OUT MENU:

The new fly-out menu is driving me nuts. I have dual monitors, and this menu appears anytime I touch the right side of the left screen or the left side of the right screen. This means that on the left screen, it is very difficult to use the scrollbar. And on the right screen, it is very difficult to access the "save" or "close" commands. I have not taken the time yet to figure out if I can disable it. I understand what the developers were trying to achieve by creating this menu, but all the information is also available on the DNS toolbar so it seems like an unnecessary duplication.

OKAY, I just realized that all you have to do is click on the X and the fly-out menu closes (duh!).

OVERALL:

Overall, I am very satisfied. The accuracy and speed are better than in DNS 10. There are more options available (for things like formatting and correcting), but to be honest I have not had time to explore most of that.

[Edited at 2010-09-09 21:16 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Microphones Sep 9, 2010

Hi Patricia,

If you don't like wearing a headset, try the wireless Solo Xtag microphone which I'm using right now to dictate this message. It hangs around your neck from a strap, you don't even feel it and you can get up and walk around as you speak. It costs a few hundred bucks – no
... See more
Hi Patricia,

If you don't like wearing a headset, try the wireless Solo Xtag microphone which I'm using right now to dictate this message. It hangs around your neck from a strap, you don't even feel it and you can get up and walk around as you speak. It costs a few hundred bucks – no big deal.

http://www.knowbrainer.com/ShopOnline/index.cfm/product/65_23/revolabs-xtag-usb-wireless-microphone.cfm

Regards,

Michael
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
English
TOPIC STARTER
More microphone choices Sep 10, 2010

The xTag is a good choice or possibly a desktop microphone. In my opinion, the so-called “Nuance endorsed” Plantronics Bluetooth microphone simply isn't very good and they are dumping them on their resellers for nothing these days. The only Bluetooth I have ever recommended is the BlueParrott Xp... See more
The xTag is a good choice or possibly a desktop microphone. In my opinion, the so-called “Nuance endorsed” Plantronics Bluetooth microphone simply isn't very good and they are dumping them on their resellers for nothing these days. The only Bluetooth I have ever recommended is the BlueParrott Xpressway ~ http://www.knowbrainer.com/ShopOnline/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.display&product_id=185 but I'm really not that gung ho about the use of Bluetooth microphones in Ver. 11 because of the higher 12,000 Hz sampling rate which Bluetooth microphones cannot take advantage of because of their 5000 Hz ceiling.Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
KnowBrainer is a retailer? Sep 10, 2010

I don't understand. I assumed KnowBrainer was something like an online version of PC World or a similar magazine. I now see that it's not an independent organisation but that it's actually an online retailer that sells exclusively to the US market. Or do they also test products they don't sell?

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Not just US Sep 10, 2010

Hi,

Yes, Knowbrainer is a retailer, and they have a wonderful line of specialty products for voice recognition.

I don't know about Europe, but I am in Canada and they ship to me.

Michael

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
English
TOPIC STARTER
Nuance Licensed Resellers Sep 10, 2010

Yes, we are Nuance Gold certified/licensed resellers and ship around the world.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
YES they ship everywhere Sep 10, 2010

Michael Barnett wrote:

Hi,

Yes, Knowbrainer is a retailer, and they have a wonderful line of specialty products for voice recognition.

I don't know about Europe, but I am in Canada and they ship to me.

Michael

I got in touch with them and yes, they ship everywhere. And they'll be shipping to me in the very near future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KnowBrainer Review of NaturallySpeaking 11

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »