Thread poster: Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 03:49
German to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2010

I have a very irritating problem that crops up when I use Dragon (version 9.5) with a MetaTexis file. For the past couple of days, without any warning, Dragon has been shutting down and I’ve had to reboot each time to get it to work properly again. This usually happens after only a few minutes, so I'm essentially not able to use Dragon in combination with my CAT program.

These Dragon crashes also destabilize Word 2003. After Dragon signs off, I can close the Word fil
... See more
I have a very irritating problem that crops up when I use Dragon (version 9.5) with a MetaTexis file. For the past couple of days, without any warning, Dragon has been shutting down and I’ve had to reboot each time to get it to work properly again. This usually happens after only a few minutes, so I'm essentially not able to use Dragon in combination with my CAT program.

These Dragon crashes also destabilize Word 2003. After Dragon signs off, I can close the Word file that I’m working on, but when I try to shut down the Word, the program doesn't react and I get an error message (“program not responding”).

The odd thing is that Dragon has worked perfectly with MetaTexis and Word for over a year now and I've made no changes to my computer over the past few weeks.

MetaTexis still works fine with just Word 2003 – as long as I manually type everything.

I can also use Dragon in a Word file without any glitches, as long as I avoid using MetaTexis. In fact, I'm dictating this right now using Dragon!

I wonder if MetaTexis is destabilizing Dragon (and Word, for that matter), or if Dragon has developed some kind of problem that causes it to react adversely to MetaTexis. In other words, I'm not sure which program is the culprit here – Dragon or MetaTexis. But from what I’ve read on the forums, I suspect it’s Dragon.

I've tried downloading the most recent version of MetaTexis (NET/Office) and reinstalling the entire program, but that hasn't helped.

I've also tried reinstalling Word 2003 – but to no avail.

I'd rather not try reinstalling Dragon because I’ve already installed it a number of times (you’re limited to X number of installations, I believe) and it appears to be working perfectly as long as I steer clear of MetaTexis.

I've written to Hermann Bruns at MetaTexis for support, but I’m not even sure if his program has anything to do with the problem!

Does this sound like a Dragon glitch?

Any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon shuts down with Word 2003 & MetaTexis

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »