Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:06
French to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2010

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is closing shop and has several DNS versions he's giving to friends. He said he'd give me whichever one I wanted. He has Preferred 9, Preferred 10, Perferred 10.1, and Professional 10.

Is there one version that's buggier than another? Of course my instinct is to go Professional 10 but I want to make sure that it wont create any problems (remember, XP was better than vista).

I heard they're heavy. I have a 4,00Go harddrive that
... See more
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is closing shop and has several DNS versions he's giving to friends. He said he'd give me whichever one I wanted. He has Preferred 9, Preferred 10, Perferred 10.1, and Professional 10.

Is there one version that's buggier than another? Of course my instinct is to go Professional 10 but I want to make sure that it wont create any problems (remember, XP was better than vista).

I heard they're heavy. I have a 4,00Go harddrive that is partitioned with 78,7Go left in C: and 180Go left in D: , would that be a problem?
Also, I have Windows 7.

I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give based on your own experiences with these versions.
Thanks !
Natalia

[Edited at 2010-06-11 23:02 GMT]
Collapse

Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
DNS 10 with Windows 7 Jun 12, 2010

Hi Natalia,

I have worked with DNS 9 Preferred under Windows XP so far, but after upgrading to Windows 7, it was no longer possible to run this version. You definitely need DNS 10 (preferred or professional) with Windows 7.

The preferred version was perfect for my purposes so I would always chose that version again.

Have a nice weekend
Heike

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:06
English to French
+ ...
Did you try the compatibility with XP ? Jun 12, 2010

Heike Steffens wrote:

Hi Natalia,

I have worked with DNS 9 Preferred under Windows XP so far, but after upgrading to Windows 7, it was no longer possible to run this version. You definitely need DNS 10 (preferred or professional) with Windows 7.

The preferred version was perfect for my purposes so I would always chose that version again.

Have a nice weekend
Heike

Did you try to run it as an application compatible with XP on Windows 7 ?

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 02:06
English
+ ...
Choice of Dragon. Jun 13, 2010

I have used Preferred 7, Preferred 8, Professional 8, Preferred 9 and Preferred 10.0.
I find that Preferred 10 is more accurate than Preferred 9.

I was never very happy with Pro 8. The main benefits of the Pro version at that time were the ability to network the speech files, so that the program could be accessed from multiple computers and the corrections would be updated centrally, and the ability to create sophisticated macros with conditional branches and so on.

... See more
I have used Preferred 7, Preferred 8, Professional 8, Preferred 9 and Preferred 10.0.
I find that Preferred 10 is more accurate than Preferred 9.

I was never very happy with Pro 8. The main benefits of the Pro version at that time were the ability to network the speech files, so that the program could be accessed from multiple computers and the corrections would be updated centrally, and the ability to create sophisticated macros with conditional branches and so on.

The Pro features never seemed to work too well for me, so I reverted to Preferred at the next upgrade.

Michael
Collapse

Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
Compatibility Jun 13, 2010

Hi, Mohamed,

no, I didn't. I'm simply afraid it would be too complicated to run DNS in the virtual XP-machine and trying to get it connected to the normal software running under Windows 7.

Maybe it's just ignorance on my side, but I really didn't have the courage to face such a challenge.

Heike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preferred vs. Professional

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »