How do I open/close translation units in Trados with DNS?
Thread poster: David Petersen
David Petersen
David Petersen
Malta
Local time: 03:45
Japanese to English
Jan 8, 2010

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can suggest how to get Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 (preferred) to open/close translation units in Trados (or wordfast for that matter). I have tried adding the freeware Vocola suite, which enables macros, but they only seem to work in wordpad, not ms word.

Sincerely

David Petersen

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-01-09 12:14 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Help with DNS/TRADOS Jan 8, 2010

I don't know in Wordfast, but in MS Word you can surely create a macro with an odd name that the software cannot confuse with some common word and/or command, and then you can activate that macro speaking its name

For example, I did a macro called "Avantigiù" (GoOnDown) and used it for a long time with success

Currently, I've abandoned this practice as MS Word doesn't like some added macro and shows odd behaviours, crashes for example, and it happens even with professi
... See more
I don't know in Wordfast, but in MS Word you can surely create a macro with an odd name that the software cannot confuse with some common word and/or command, and then you can activate that macro speaking its name

For example, I did a macro called "Avantigiù" (GoOnDown) and used it for a long time with success

Currently, I've abandoned this practice as MS Word doesn't like some added macro and shows odd behaviours, crashes for example, and it happens even with professional macros, for example Logiterm or Adobe Acrobat ones

Claudio
Collapse

David Petersen
David Petersen
Malta
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: how do I open/close translation units in Trados with DNS Jan 9, 2010

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

Currently, I've abandoned this practice as MS Word doesn't like some added macro and shows odd behaviours, crashes for example, and it happens even with professional macros, for example Logiterm or Adobe Acrobat ones

Claudio

Hi

It's not that DNS/vocola doesn't recognize the macro. It does. But it only executes the macro in wordpad, not in msword.

Davidi

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
how do I open/close translation units in Trados with DNS Jan 10, 2010

OK, but vocola is simply unuseful!

in other words, as MS Word already accepts macros, there is no reason to add a software that does the same thing, do you understand?

all you need to work with DNS + MS Word, is a MS Word macro (see the MS Word Help for instructions) with an uncommon name, that's all!
this way you can activate by voice all Trados command!

I used it for "Open/Get", "Set/CloseNext Open/Get" and "Translate to Fuzzy", that are my m
... See more

in other words, as MS Word already accepts macros, there is no reason to add a software that does the same thing, do you understand?

all you need to work with DNS + MS Word, is a MS Word macro (see the MS Word Help for instructions) with an uncommon name, that's all!

I used it for "Open/Get", "Set/CloseNext Open/Get" and "Translate to Fuzzy", that are my most often used commands

and considering that Wordfast is simply a MS Word's macro this system must works even with Wordfast

on the contrary, you cannot do the same thing in Tageditor, or SDLX as they don't accepts macros

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-01-10 22:32 GMT]
Collapse

David Petersen
David Petersen
Malta
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: how do I... Jan 11, 2010

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

I used it for "Open/Get", "Set/CloseNext Open/Get" and "Translate to Fuzzy", that are my most often used commands

and considering that Wordfast is simply a MS Word's macro this system must works even with Wordfast

on the contrary, you cannot do the same thing in Tageditor, or SDLX as they don't accepts macros

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-01-10 22:32 GMT]

Hi

Now I am sure we do not understand each other

With a regular msword macro, I can assign "Set/CloseNext Open/Get" for example to a key sequence, such as Cntrl+alt+D. Then I can run DNS and say "Press Control Alt D" and it will work. But I want it to work when I say something like "Next TU". How do I do that??

David

Domenica Nieddu
Domenica Nieddu  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
Help with Trados and DNS 10 Preferred Apr 3, 2010

Hello,

I noticed in these posts that you are experts in the use of DNS to open and close Trados translation units. I would like to ask for your assistance in setting up DNS for the use with Trados in Word. I just got DNS 10 Preferred and use Trados 6.5. I am just at the beginning with DNS and cannot understand how to create the macros and the commands to open and close segments with Trados.

Could you kindly give me instructions from scratch (I do not even know hot to cr
... See more
Hello,

I noticed in these posts that you are experts in the use of DNS to open and close Trados translation units. I would like to ask for your assistance in setting up DNS for the use with Trados in Word. I just got DNS 10 Preferred and use Trados 6.5. I am just at the beginning with DNS and cannot understand how to create the macros and the commands to open and close segments with Trados.

Could you kindly give me instructions from scratch (I do not even know hot to create macros with Word)? DNS is of no use to me if I cannot make it work with Trados. I would really appreciate step-by-step instructions.

I use Windows XP and run Word 2003. Also, please let me know if you are aware of any training online for DNS. Thank you very much. Domenica
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:45
Spanish
+ ...
Voice commands Apr 3, 2010

I have the Preferred version and I just say 'Press Alt Plus Sign'. I found that keeping a small banner with the command saved me a lot of time--I don't want to think too much about it. With Studio I just changed the keystroke and say 'Press Alt Equal'

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I open/close translation units in Trados with DNS?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »