DNS compatibility with Windows 7
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:32
Italian to English
Jan 1, 2010

My very old computer is showing signs of expiring so I have ordered a new one (to a spec by my IT consultant son), with a Windows 7, 64 bit OS.

Rather too late, I found the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, which scanned my current installation and identified certain problems (principally Outlook Express, Family Tree Maker and Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.0 Standard - for anyone who might be following suit).

DNS 10.1 is apparently OK (if I want to spend that much extra on top)
... See more
My very old computer is showing signs of expiring so I have ordered a new one (to a spec by my IT consultant son), with a Windows 7, 64 bit OS.

Rather too late, I found the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, which scanned my current installation and identified certain problems (principally Outlook Express, Family Tree Maker and Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.0 Standard - for anyone who might be following suit).

DNS 10.1 is apparently OK (if I want to spend that much extra on top) . However the Windows 7 Compatibility page says that version 9.5 is compatible (for both 32 and 64 bit systems).

The Nuance website (predictably) has no mention of this version. It does have a 10.1 Preferred upgrade from (unspecified) earlier versions but that costs as much as 10.1 Standard, which would be quite adequate for my needs.

Can anyone throw any light on whether a 9.5 upgrade is available anywhere for 9.0 versions please?
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 20:32
English
9.5 Upgrade Jan 1, 2010

Russell,

Yes I can and best of all its free.

9.5 Upgrade http://www.nuance.com/vista/

Tom Hamilton - Host of the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition Forums
Click for Live KnowBrainer Nuance Gold Certified NaturallySpeaking Support
Is Your Speech Recognition/Microphone Partner Nuance Gold Certified & BBB Accredited?

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 2, 2010

That's brilliant Tom.
You've saved me £100

Very many thanks.

Russell

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I spoke too soon Jan 20, 2010

Despite the Windows 7 Compatibility page saying that DNS 9.5 is compatible with Windows 7 (for both 32 and 64 bit systems), it is not - or at least the Standard version isn't.

The Nuance Set-up exe even has a compatibility test but, no matter what options you try, it always confirms that it is not compatible with 64 bit systems.

I have notified Microsoft of this incorrect information and am preparing to fork out for Version 10!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:32
Spanish
+ ...
DNS 10 is not compatible, DNS 10.1 is Jan 20, 2010

For the record, DNS 10 Preferred is not compatible with Win7. There is a patch (10.1) that fixes the problem and it's free to download, but for non-English versions the patch is not online so it has to be shipped. That cost around $10.00.

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:32
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Hae you checked out the speech recognition in Windows 7? Mar 3, 2010

http://windows7news.com/2009/09/18/how-to-use-speech-recognition-with-windows-7/

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Here too Mar 3, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:

Despite the Windows 7 Compatibility page saying that DNS 9.5 is compatible with Windows 7 (for both 32 and 64 bit systems), it is not - or at least the Standard version isn't.

... preparing to fork out for Version 10!

I didn't buy it. Windows 7 speech recognition is well worth a try. I find it as good as DNS, for my purposes anyway. Which is essentially using it for free-flowing text (with Wordfast). I don't try to use it to control my computer or anything fancy.

Oh, and it turns on and off instantly. I found DNS a complete pain to stop and start.

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 WSR Mar 4, 2010

Thank you Mark

I've just tried a small job with it and, while it's too early to reach firm conclusions, I'm sufficiently impressed to postpone any DNS replacement purchases.

Russell

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:32
English to French
+ ...
Interesting! Mar 4, 2010

I purchased DNS last year through a special discounted offer via ProZ but I have yet to actually use the software. I have downloaded the installer file several times, but I get an error message every time, saying the file is corrupted. I contacted Nuance about this and have received very little support (none at all, to be honest).

So thank you for letting me know about your early successes with the Win7 speach recognition function - I'll definitely give it a try!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS compatibility with Windows 7

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »