Time lag when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 10 and SDL Trados 2007
Thread poster: AHannaford
Dec 8, 2009

I recently started working with Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 10 (the Dutch version, where you can set up profiles in English, German, French and Dutch, Version 10.10.000.334), which I use in combination with Translators Workbench (SDL Trados Translators Workbench 8.2.0.835).

The main problem is that Dragon NaturallySpeaking seems to freeze very frequently, and will only start to work again after around a minute. It obviously still recognises what I'm saying during the time
... See more
I recently started working with Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 10 (the Dutch version, where you can set up profiles in English, German, French and Dutch, Version 10.10.000.334), which I use in combination with Translators Workbench (SDL Trados Translators Workbench 8.2.0.835).

The main problem is that Dragon NaturallySpeaking seems to freeze very frequently, and will only start to work again after around a minute. It obviously still recognises what I'm saying during the time it is frozen, as once it starts up again, it will perform all the actions/enter all the text that I have dictated in the meantime. But this time lag is proving a real annoyance.

I have spoken to technical support at Nuance (the company that manufactures the software) a couple of times, the initial workaround they gave me was to turn off some kind of speech recognition feature built into Word 2007 but it unfortunately didn't solve the problem. They now think that the problem is associated with Trados and not with Word. What they have now told me to do is to use the dictation box (Tools -> Dictation Box on the DragonBar), so I can dictate my translation into there and press "transfer" to enter it into Word. This isn't an ideal solution but I guess it will have to do for the time being.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or similar, any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Annette Hannaford

[Edited at 2009-12-08 14:10 GMT]
Collapse

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Maybe this will help Dec 8, 2009

There is a setting in DNS 10 that appears to slow down DNS, Annette--at least that is my experience.

Since I run the German version of DNS, my "translations" below of the menu items may not correspond exactly to the English version, but I think you will be able to locate them easily:

Go to Tools>>Options>>[tab] Additional Settings (may be "Other Settings" or something similar).

Clicking on this tab will display a dialogue box. There is a slider in the cent
... See more
There is a setting in DNS 10 that appears to slow down DNS, Annette--at least that is my experience.

Since I run the German version of DNS, my "translations" below of the menu items may not correspond exactly to the English version, but I think you will be able to locate them easily:

Go to Tools>>Options>>[tab] Additional Settings (may be "Other Settings" or something similar).

Clicking on this tab will display a dialogue box. There is a slider in the center of the dialogue box that lets you choose between "fast" and "accurate" recognition. When I set the pointer to the right-most position (highest accuracy), DNS slowed down considerably.

If in your case the pointer is near the middle or more to the left ("higher speed"), then obviously there's a different reason for the slow-down. If, however, the pointer is set very far to the right, you might want to experiment with it by sliding it towards the center of the scale to see whether you notice any improvement in speed.

Fingers crossed.
Collapse

AHannaford
AHannaford
TOPIC STARTER
Your tip seems to have worked! Dec 9, 2009

Hi Volkmar,

Thanks very much for your suggestion, I tried it out today and although I'm having to put up with lower accuracy than usual (and enunciate much more clearly), I haven't yet experienced the time lag that I had been having problems with before. The slider you mentioned was right in the middle in my case – I moved it one notch to the left and that appears to have done the trick!
What a great tip... See more
Hi Volkmar,

Thanks very much for your suggestion, I tried it out today and although I'm having to put up with lower accuracy than usual (and enunciate much more clearly), I haven't yet experienced the time lag that I had been having problems with before. The slider you mentioned was right in the middle in my case – I moved it one notch to the left and that appears to have done the trick!
What a great tip

By the way, an interesting point to note is that I didn't have the problem at all at first, it has developed over time and become increasingly worse, I assume this is because I almost always save the changes to my user files when I exit Dragon, which means my user must be pretty huge by now. The reason why I save the changes though is because there's always new words that I add to the word list because I can see that they're going to come up numerous times in a specific translation. Maybe I should just stop saving the changes though anyway.

Cheers,
Annette

[Edited at 2009-12-09 15:27 GMT]
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
time lag Dec 9, 2009

Hi Annette

more you work, more the words/pronounciation database grows
this is why the computer needs more time to read it, after some time ...

anyway, the lag is usually due to a PC not exactly well-endowed: not enough memory and low speed chip (I think even too much hard-disk swapping)

for example, with an Intel dual-core, 2 GHz, 3 GB of RAM and no swapping at all, I don't see any lag with DNS 10 Preferred, even putting the accuracy slider on the fa
... See more
Hi Annette

more you work, more the words/pronounciation database grows
this is why the computer needs more time to read it, after some time ...

anyway, the lag is usually due to a PC not exactly well-endowed: not enough memory and low speed chip (I think even too much hard-disk swapping)

for example, with an Intel dual-core, 2 GHz, 3 GB of RAM and no swapping at all, I don't see any lag with DNS 10 Preferred, even putting the accuracy slider on the far right!

Claudio
Collapse

AHannaford
AHannaford
TOPIC STARTER
So...are my PC specs sufficient? Dec 11, 2009

Hi Claudio,

I've looked at my PC specs and I have an Intel dual core processor (Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 / 3.16 GHz) and 1.97 GB of RAM. When I rang Nuance, technical support seemed to think that that was sufficient. The page file is currently set at 4000 MB. Any ideas of what I might need to change?

Thanks very much,
Annette

[Edited at 2009-12-11 12:28 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
So...are my PC specs sufficient? Dec 11, 2009

Hi Annette

the only difference that I see (without phisically seeing all your background routines /softwares and so on), is the RAM that is "just enough" if you use Windows XP, but I think it's very poor with Vista ...

consider that just now, MS Word, Trados, DNS, Firefox, Thunderbird, TO3000, Babylon and one dictionary use about 1 GB of RAM but I still have 2 GB free !
(you can check it with CTRL+ALT+DEL and then see the Performance tab)

as you have
... See more
Hi Annette

the only difference that I see (without phisically seeing all your background routines /softwares and so on), is the RAM that is "just enough" if you use Windows XP, but I think it's very poor with Vista ...

consider that just now, MS Word, Trados, DNS, Firefox, Thunderbird, TO3000, Babylon and one dictionary use about 1 GB of RAM but I still have 2 GB free !
(you can check it with CTRL+ALT+DEL and then see the Performance tab)

as you have 2 GB, you can try to clear off swapping
now I search for the procedure ....
here it is
START button > My Computer > right click > Properties > Advanced
under Performances click on Settings
under Settings click on Advanced
under Advanced see Virtual Memory and click on Change
select No paging file, then click on Setup, then click OK in the window
click OK 2 times more in the 2 windows
restart Windows

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-12-11 16:55 GMT]
Collapse

AHannaford
AHannaford
TOPIC STARTER
So...are my PC specs sufficient? Dec 15, 2009

Hi there Claudio,

I'm running XP.
I have now gotten rid of the paging file, which seems to have improved the speed somewhat but the problem still hasn't gone entirely – I have experienced this time lag a couple of times today but not nearly as often as before.

In any case, I have noticed that when I dictate something, the CPU usage really spikes (up to around 35–45%). In addition, it might be useful to know that the following statistics are listed on the perf
... See more
Hi there Claudio,

I'm running XP.
I have now gotten rid of the paging file, which seems to have improved the speed somewhat but the problem still hasn't gone entirely – I have experienced this time lag a couple of times today but not nearly as often as before.

In any case, I have noticed that when I dictate something, the CPU usage really spikes (up to around 35–45%). In addition, it might be useful to know that the following statistics are listed on the performance tab of Windows Task Manager under the heading "physical memory (K)": total 2069736; available 1079800; system cache 1200056. Under "kernel memory (K)": total 70152; paged 54108; non-paged 16044.
Do those figures mean anything to you?

Annette
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time lag when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 10 and SDL Trados 2007

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »