Apostrophes and quote marks in Dragon
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2009

I have Dragon 8.0. When I dictate apostrophes and quotation marks, they usually come out as ' and " and I have to go through and change them all to curly ones. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
Russian to English
Auto-replace? Nov 24, 2009

Can you do anything with the auto-replace options in Word?

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 03:29
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Auto-replace certainly works for smart quotes Nov 24, 2009

If you turn on 'replace quotes with smart quotes' option under auto-correct optionbs, then searching for " and replacing with " (etc;) will have the ffect of replacing them all with the smart versions.

Alternatively, is it possible to teach Dragon how to insert characters using the Alt + [num] codes, since all 4 variants of smart quotes are available under the basic ASCII codes?

[Edited at 2009-11-24 21:06 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:29
English to French
Same here in Word Nov 25, 2009

Tony M wrote:
If you turn on 'replace quotes with smart quotes' option under auto-correct optionbs, then searching for " and replacing with " (etc;) will have the ffect of replacing them all with the smart versions....

It is also the method I use.
To go more quickly, I recorded a macro for the various characters to replace, which I use at the end of any translation in Word. This macro also checks for double spaces while I am at it. It requires one click on a button.

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apostrophes and quote marks in Dragon

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »