When does Dragon stop learning?
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2009

I've been using Dragon for years now (I currently have 8.0), and I'm extremely satisfied with it. But I sometimes wonder whether there is any point correcting words or saving my speech files any more. There are a few words which, no matter how often I train it, it never seems to learn ( "February" and "Numeral 1/2/3 etc" spring to mind).

Does there come a time when it reaches a maximum level of performance?

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:01
Swedish to English
+ ...
Version Oct 29, 2009

Like you, I am extremely satisfied with Dragon, though I too have suffered the February problem.
I think you are right -- Dragon reaches a plateau beyond which improvement is unlikely. I suspect the real answer is not entirely welcome -- to upgrade to a later version. I have noticed a small but distinct and worthwhile improvement at every upgrade to my current version 10. I now get a far greater success rate with February, though as ever enunciation is the key. January February March Apri
... See more
Like you, I am extremely satisfied with Dragon, though I too have suffered the February problem.
I think you are right -- Dragon reaches a plateau beyond which improvement is unlikely. I suspect the real answer is not entirely welcome -- to upgrade to a later version. I have noticed a small but distinct and worthwhile improvement at every upgrade to my current version 10. I now get a far greater success rate with February, though as ever enunciation is the key. January February March April -- the very first time I dictated February in this message, when I said the February problem, my enunciation was not quite right, and out came "everyone". But since then, February has come out right first time every time, without any correction.
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 09:01
English
DNS Performance Oct 30, 2009

If you have the need to dictate a lot of numbers you can always utilize Numeric mode. As far as DNS V8 VS. DNS V10 you can find my review here on this forum. http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/112477-

1. Normal Mode - Dragon listens for dictated text and commands
2. Dictation Mode - No command recognition, only what you verbally speak
3. Command Mode
... See more
If you have the need to dictate a lot of numbers you can always utilize Numeric mode. As far as DNS V8 VS. DNS V10 you can find my review here on this forum. http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/112477-

1. Normal Mode - Dragon listens for dictated text and commands
2. Dictation Mode - No command recognition, only what you verbally speak
3. Command Mode - Only looks for and recognizes commands
4. Spell Mode - Allows spelling out any combination of letters, digits or
symbols
5. Numeric Mode - Only interprets numbers

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor

[Edited at 2009-10-30 22:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-30 22:55 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When does Dragon stop learning?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »