DNS problem
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
Italian to English
Oct 18, 2009

I use DNS 9 Standard (it does - or used to do - everything I need so I have seen no point in upgrading).

Now, however, when I attempt to switch the microphone on I get the message:

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team."

It has started working again once after changing my headset - I was asked to repeat the sound settings by dictating two passages again - but the
... See more
I use DNS 9 Standard (it does - or used to do - everything I need so I have seen no point in upgrading).

Now, however, when I attempt to switch the microphone on I get the message:

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team."

It has started working again once after changing my headset - I was asked to repeat the sound settings by dictating two passages again - but the problem has now recurred.

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve it please?
Collapse

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:42
English to German
Reinstallation Oct 18, 2009

Hi Russell,

I use DNS 9 also, and I did not have exactly the same problem, but I have had numerous of strange problems with DNS during the last two years.

In the beginning, I phoned the support - they are very nice and try to help, but all their suggestions did not work in the end.

My solution if Dragon acts strange, sends error messages, shuts down or cannot be started is a complete deinstallation and reinstallation. If I am asked if I want to keep any of
... See more
Hi Russell,

I use DNS 9 also, and I did not have exactly the same problem, but I have had numerous of strange problems with DNS during the last two years.

In the beginning, I phoned the support - they are very nice and try to help, but all their suggestions did not work in the end.

My solution if Dragon acts strange, sends error messages, shuts down or cannot be started is a complete deinstallation and reinstallation. If I am asked if I want to keep any of my user files I say NO. When reinstalling, I skip the part where Dragon analyses my documents and emails. Afterwards, Dragon works great again, I do not have to start from scratch, because lots of information seems still to be there somewhere in the depths of my computer. Of course, I have to do some settings again, and special vocabulary I entered is lost. But the new installation does not take much time, and for me, so far, this is the best solution.

There must be something in our computers that corrupts some files of DNS. That is why things like this happen. And that is also why I do not keep my user files when I reinstall. I tried it, doing a reinstallation with my user files, and I immediately had the same problems again.

A few days ago, I bought DNS 10, but I have not installed it yet. I will do this when my old Dragon crashes again
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Manage users - Advanced - restore Oct 18, 2009

Hi Russell,

I find this happens every now and again with DNS 9; it seems to happen when youve tried to shut down without switching off DNS first and you get an error message as you shut down. Somehow that seem to corrupt the files. Having spoken to the support team, I was advised to go into Manage Users, Advanced and Restore one of your old User names. That always seem to restore to the last uncorrupted version and work fine - until the next time. Takes a few seconds to do, and seem
... See more
Hi Russell,

I find this happens every now and again with DNS 9; it seems to happen when youve tried to shut down without switching off DNS first and you get an error message as you shut down. Somehow that seem to corrupt the files. Having spoken to the support team, I was advised to go into Manage Users, Advanced and Restore one of your old User names. That always seem to restore to the last uncorrupted version and work fine - until the next time. Takes a few seconds to do, and seems to work for a couple of weeks, so it's definitely worth trying.

Good luck,

Claire
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 19, 2009

Your solution didn't work the first time Claire but, fortunately, I decided to try again befor reinstalling as Katrin suggested - and this time it worked.

Thank you both.

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
@ Russell and Katrin Oct 19, 2009

I run DNS 10 on my PC and DNS 9 on my laptop (for lack of disk space) . All I can say--Russell, if you havent upgraded to v.10 yet, do it by all means. The performance leap is worth every penny. Katrin, since you already have v.10, don't wait another minute. Install it NOW! You will regret it you didn't do it earlier.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS problem

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »