Again - Dragon lets me down, but this time it went for something new
Thread poster: Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:31
English to German
Oct 7, 2009

I have had lots of trouble with my Dragon Naturally Speaking (version 9.5) in the past,

see here:

See more
I have had lots of trouble with my Dragon Naturally Speaking (version 9.5) in the past,

see here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/89888-please_help_dragon_turns_off_when_i_want_to_turn_the_microphone_on.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/92242-dragon_shuts_down_when_i_try_to_turn_on_the_microphone-page2.html

and they went on and I had to uninstall, reinstall and of course train again my Dragon every three months...

But now the good old Dragon got tired of this game, and tonight came up with a new trick:

I started Dragon and got this message:
(Please note that the message was in German and excuse my inadequate translation)

"An internal recognition error occured. Naturally Speaking may be instable. Therefore immediately safe your data, close the program and start it again."

And in the status bar it says: "No user files loaded."

Of course this always happens when I have to meet a deadline...

Did anyone have the same problem and knows a solution?

Thanks!
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:31
French to English
+ ...
Manage users - Advanced - Restore Oct 7, 2009

Hi Katrin,

I sympathise. My version of Dragon 9 is playing up at the moment too. Its latest trick is to run for about 20 mins when I first switch it on and then suddenly shut down with the message "abnormal program termination". Sometimes I can switch it back on and it comes back again, but usually does the same thing after another 20 minutes and then refuses to pick up dictation at all unless I reboot the computer. Very annoying. The only temporary solution I've found, which usuall
... See more
Hi Katrin,

I sympathise. My version of Dragon 9 is playing up at the moment too. Its latest trick is to run for about 20 mins when I first switch it on and then suddenly shut down with the message "abnormal program termination". Sometimes I can switch it back on and it comes back again, but usually does the same thing after another 20 minutes and then refuses to pick up dictation at all unless I reboot the computer. Very annoying. The only temporary solution I've found, which usually helps for a little while, is to go to Manage Users under Files, click on Advanced and then Restore. A helpful chap on the DNS support line gave me that tip a while ago and it certainly works for me, but something is obviously corrupting the user files somewhere along the way. I wondered whether upgrading to DNS 10 would help - does anyone have any positive experience to indicate that it does?

Claire
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 07:31
German to English
+ ...
Dragon 10 Nov 30, 2009

I bought DNS 9.51 two and a half years ago. I use it exlcusively by dictating into a recorder and running the resulting file through DNS. In total I have produced about 1750 digital recordings of around 10 minutes each (the maximum that DNS seems to cope with) In all this time I have never had any of the problems many posters have referred to except once when my computer crashed in the middle of recording and my profile seemed to have got lost (which meant redoing the 15 minutes of Space Odyssey... See more
I bought DNS 9.51 two and a half years ago. I use it exlcusively by dictating into a recorder and running the resulting file through DNS. In total I have produced about 1750 digital recordings of around 10 minutes each (the maximum that DNS seems to cope with) In all this time I have never had any of the problems many posters have referred to except once when my computer crashed in the middle of recording and my profile seemed to have got lost (which meant redoing the 15 minutes of Space Odyssey 2001 to let it get used to my voice again). Whenever the power has suddenly failed (especially as a result of buidlign owrkers not informing me what they are doing, or local thunderstorms) I have had no problem whatosever when starting up again. I was thinking of upgrading to DNS 10, but now I would be afraid that it might not perform as reliably.Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
DNS issues Nov 30, 2009

I advice to do a look here
http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=forum
this forum is commonly more useful that Nuance one

furthermore, even if PC crashes, spikes and/or voltage fluctuations are decidedly a known cause of database corruption, there are clearly other reasons, as I have a sophisticated server UPS and these accidents, even if less
... See more
I advice to do a look here
http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=forum
this forum is commonly more useful that Nuance one

furthermore, even if PC crashes, spikes and/or voltage fluctuations are decidedly a known cause of database corruption, there are clearly other reasons, as I have a sophisticated server UPS and these accidents, even if less common, still happen, sometimes

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-11-30 13:57 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:31
Spanish to English
DNS is on Twitter Nov 30, 2009

Hi,

Dragon Naturally Speaking is on Twitter, so this is another way of contacting them about your problem.

http://twitter.com/DragonTweets

HTH,

Nikki (nikki_graham on Twitter)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Again - Dragon lets me down, but this time it went for something new

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »