Which headset for DNS?
Thread poster: Serena Warlu (X)
Serena Warlu (X)
Serena Warlu (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:10
French to English
Oct 2, 2009

I intend to buy DNS but having read some of the topics here I understand that the quality of the headset is essential to accuracy.

I can't work out from the technical descriptions of various headsets which would be most appropriate. They are marketed for phones/playstations and I am totally bamboozled by the choice.

Any suggestions of specific models or technical characteristics?

Thank you.

Chris Lancaster
Chris Lancaster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Sennheiser Oct 2, 2009

I use a Sennheiser ME3 with DNS 8 and it works extremely well.

Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
The one that comes with it Oct 2, 2009

I' was using the headset that came with the software very successfully for over a year until my dog chewed through the cable.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:10
Swedish to English
+ ...
Suggestions Oct 2, 2009

Check out http://www.emicrophones.com/index.asp
Serena Warluzel wrote:
I understand that the quality of the headset is essential to accuracy.

Disagree. By far the most important factor in getting good results is your enunciation. Follow Dragon's advice about speaking steadily and clearly, and always making corrections. Then the quality of the microphone becomes secondary.

I have been using Dragon for 7 years, most of the time using the standard microphone that came in the box. Two years ago I bought a good quality microphone (Andrea anti-noise NC-91) from the website above. It is undoubtedly superior, giving typically around 98% accuracy. But the standard microphone was giving me around 95% accuracy. As I use Dragon for practically everything (such as this message) the small improvement in accuracy is worthwhile.

By all means get a better microphone, partly because it is a good idea to have a spare one. But you will lose little by starting off with the standard microphone. Good enunciation is cheaper and better.

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Peter Oct 2, 2009

Peter Linton wrote:

By far the most important factor in getting good results is your enunciation.

By all means get a better microphone, partly because it is a good idea to have a spare one. But you will lose little by starting off with the standard microphone. Good enunciation is cheaper and better.

I fully agree with Peter--enunciation and initial training are paramount. I worked with the microphone supplied with DNS for over a year and only afterwards bought a Sennheiser. Now I am using a Plantronics wireless headset for the added comfort of free movement.

I would suggest that you first try the mike that comes in the box, Serena. After a while, you will better understand where your preferences are and what you would really like to see in your headset. That's the time to start looking.

Had I been smart enough from the outset, I could have skipped the Sennheiser and get the Plantronics to begin with. Freedom of movement within the confines of my office means a lot to me. Now it's wireless freedom for both dictating and telephoning with one and the same device.

Serena Warlu (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I think I will start with the standard microphone. Oct 2, 2009

Thanks for all your replies. The price range for microphones is huge. I may well start out with the standard microphone and skip directly to a wireless one later as Volkmar suggests.

I also have the same problem as you Stuart. If it isn't the dog it's the rabbit

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Sennheiser ME3 Oct 2, 2009

may be there is no difference in DNS accuracy, but the frame of it is so solid that even the Stuart's dog would not be able to break it
(clearly, not the cable

furthermore, it is very light and cosy, much more than other headsets, so you ears and your head will say thanks

another question:
if you work in a noisy area, or you simply like to listen music while working (like me) the superior nois
... See more
may be there is no difference in DNS accuracy, but the frame of it is so solid that even the Stuart's dog would not be able to break it
(clearly, not the cable

furthermore, it is very light and cosy, much more than other headsets, so you ears and your head will say thanks

another question:
if you work in a noisy area, or you simply like to listen music while working (like me) the superior noise and feedback rejection of Sennheiser ME3 make the difference ...

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-10-02 13:19 GMT]
Collapse

Serena Warlu (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's a shame I can't try them just for size Oct 2, 2009

Claudio,

You are right that comfort is an important factor. It is a shame that I can't try them. I don't think I will find anywhere locally where they sell either so I will probably have to buy one over the internet.

I live in the countryside, so with the exception of the sugar beet harvest season (non stop tractors!) it is pretty quiet. My daughter plays her music loud but I can find other ways to deal with that...
See more
Claudio,

You are right that comfort is an important factor. It is a shame that I can't try them. I don't think I will find anywhere locally where they sell either so I will probably have to buy one over the internet.

I live in the countryside, so with the exception of the sugar beet harvest season (non stop tractors!) it is pretty quiet. My daughter plays her music loud but I can find other ways to deal with that.

[Edited at 2009-10-02 13:33 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:10
Spanish
+ ...
The quality of the mic does make a different Oct 2, 2009

I've used several headsets, and with the same training and enunciation, I do get different results. At the end of the day, the time you save by dictating can be compromised by the time you spend correcting your text, so the extra expense is well worth the money, at least in my opinion.

The mic that came with the box (DNS 10) is alright, but by no means it's a high-quality mic. I now use a wireless (non-Bluetooth) Plantronics CS50-USB (with an 'Extra-Comfortable Earloop' bought for $
... See more
I've used several headsets, and with the same training and enunciation, I do get different results. At the end of the day, the time you save by dictating can be compromised by the time you spend correcting your text, so the extra expense is well worth the money, at least in my opinion.

The mic that came with the box (DNS 10) is alright, but by no means it's a high-quality mic. I now use a wireless (non-Bluetooth) Plantronics CS50-USB (with an 'Extra-Comfortable Earloop' bought for $3), the accuracy I get is fantastic and it's very comfortable and convenient because it has no wires. When the battery runs out I use my other mic A Parrot XVI, which is not that good but it's better than the DNS mic. The knowbrainer website has a comparison chart with several mics.

I bought my Plantronics mic from Ebay for a fraction of its retail price. My advice is to try different mics until you find one that suits you and you can afford, so you'll be safer buying it from a place that will let you send it back if you don't like it.

Good luck,

Claudia
Collapse

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
With Claudia Oct 2, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I now use a wireless (non-Bluetooth) Plantronics CS50-USB (with an 'Extra-Comfortable Earloop' bought for $3), the accuracy I get is fantastic and it's very comfortable and convenient because it has no wires.

Fully agree with Claudia. The Plantronics CS50-USB is a wonderful headset; the accuracy is excellent, and so is the wearing comfort.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Plantronics Oct 3, 2009

I've experienced good results using Plantronics Headset DSP 400, although the ear cushion on the right has disintegrated (?).
Does anyone have information with regard to results compared to other headsets?

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 00:10
English
A Wealth of Microphone Conversation Oct 8, 2009

Serena,

You can read through a wealth of microphone conversation here. Microphone Forum http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=viewForumCategory&categoryId=7

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which headset for DNS?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »