Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:27
German to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2009

Good afternoon,

My (fairly new) version of Dragon 10 has started to randomly insert double whitespaces between words, not always, but every two or three words or so. It's getting extremely annoying and it's increasing my post-editing load. I have no idea why this has started to happen. Does anyone have a quick fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

Karin

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Removing extra spaces between words Aug 11, 2009

Hi Karin,

I do not know how to stop Dragon from inserting the extra spaces, but I know how to remove them from the whole document afterwards in a couple of seconds.

You open up the search and replace boxes. In the search box you put two spaces, by pressing on the spacebar twice. In the replace box you put one space, by pressing on the spacebar once.

Then you click to "replace all".

It will give a number of how many have been replaced. You then
... See more
Hi Karin,

I do not know how to stop Dragon from inserting the extra spaces, but I know how to remove them from the whole document afterwards in a couple of seconds.

You open up the search and replace boxes. In the search box you put two spaces, by pressing on the spacebar twice. In the replace box you put one space, by pressing on the spacebar once.

Then you click to "replace all".

It will give a number of how many have been replaced. You then click on "replace all" again, and keep repeating this until the number of replacements is shown as zero.

The first time you click, if there are six spaces in a row anywhere they will be reduced to five, the next time you click these will be reduced to four, and so on.

You can run through this in a couple of seconds, so it should not increase your post-editing load unduly.

Astrid
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:27
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
. Aug 11, 2009

I can't remember whether I've ever encountered something similar, but DNS tends to behave more unpredictably when its memory is pushed to its limits - and it saves quite a bit of data in its temporary memory.

Does this behavior stop or change when you re-start DNS or reboot your computer? Does it get worse over time?

Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 11, 2009

@Astrid: Thanks for the tip. I know that one - it's an issue too when using Trados WB because sometimes I automatically add a space after putting a full stop, so that's part of my usual post-editing routine. It just makes my text look messy, which is why I get annoyed.

@Heike: Yes, it does get better if I reboot. As a new DNS user I'm surprised that DNS tends to get "stressed out", it's almost human in that respect. It definitely has selective hearing, too. Maybe I'm too impatient.
... See more
@Astrid: Thanks for the tip. I know that one - it's an issue too when using Trados WB because sometimes I automatically add a space after putting a full stop, so that's part of my usual post-editing routine. It just makes my text look messy, which is why I get annoyed.

@Heike: Yes, it does get better if I reboot. As a new DNS user I'm surprised that DNS tends to get "stressed out", it's almost human in that respect. It definitely has selective hearing, too. Maybe I'm too impatient. I just thought there might be a reason why this is happening. Also, it tends to happen mid-afternoon, when I've probably taxed it (and myself) to our respective limits.
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:27
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Fine-tuning Aug 11, 2009

You have the option to adjust some of the settings in Dragon, which impact performance.

For instance, you can adjust fastest vs. best recognition with a slider (Tools > Options > Miscellaneous). Even with lots of RAM and a fast processor, the fastest option doesn't usually deliver satisfactory results, but with a fast computer, it's still fast enough with the slider in a neutral position. You can experiment, which setting works best for you.

Dragon also saves all the au
... See more
You have the option to adjust some of the settings in Dragon, which impact performance.

For instance, you can adjust fastest vs. best recognition with a slider (Tools > Options > Miscellaneous). Even with lots of RAM and a fast processor, the fastest option doesn't usually deliver satisfactory results, but with a fast computer, it's still fast enough with the slider in a neutral position. You can experiment, which setting works best for you.

Dragon also saves all the audio data for its text-to-speech option. This takes up a lot of memory. Under Tools > Options > Text-to-Speech, there's the option at the bottom: Unload text-to-speech. I would assume that this deletes the saved audio data and frees up more memory for the other tasks.

You can also disable the saving of audio data completely by setting the allocated disk space to 0. (Tools > Options > Data > Disk space reserved for playback)

Also, a couple of years ago, when I still translated large files in Word instead of Tag Editor, the performance of DNS got worse and worse the further I got into the file. Word's automatic re-pagination can use up resources, and there might be other issues. So in case you're using DNS together with Trados, switch to TagEditor.

There's a section in the DNS help on improving performance. It tells you more which feature you can deactivate or which settings help improve performance.

I hope some of this will help!
Collapse

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dragon exhaustion Aug 11, 2009

I noticed that after hours of work, my Dragon 10 gets tired and does not respond well. What I do is close everything and log off or restart the computer. That has seemed to correct the fatigue.

Maybe this is not the problem and your Dragon does it all the time regardless the amount of time it has been on duty.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon inserting random whitespaces

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »