Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:55
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

It is my pleasure to join Mats Wiman in moderating the speech recognition forum for the coming year, taking over from Peter Linton. Many thanks to Peter, with whom I became acquainted at the conference in Berlin in 2006, and very quickly became aware of his thoroughness in all matters. I hope I will be able to meet his standards.

I have been following the developments in speech recognition with interest, and – together with you – am interested in ke
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

It is my pleasure to join Mats Wiman in moderating the speech recognition forum for the coming year, taking over from Peter Linton. Many thanks to Peter, with whom I became acquainted at the conference in Berlin in 2006, and very quickly became aware of his thoroughness in all matters. I hope I will be able to meet his standards.

I have been following the developments in speech recognition with interest, and – together with you – am interested in keeping abreast of developments in this field.

I do not use speech recognition all the time, as I have not yet been particularly successful in combining it with a CAT tool. However, I have used Dragon Naturally Speaking for ongoing large and familiar projects, and have, in the process, encountered the various issues that arise, so that I feel I am in a position to assist with this topic where necessary.

I look forward to seeing you around in the forum. Should you wish to contact me, there is an e-mail link on this page, or you can also go directly to my profile page to write your message. You will need to be logged in as a user.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a fruitful year of dictating and relaxation, as well as well-earned fun, in this and other forums.

Your new co-moderator along with Mats,
Astrid
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:55
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Heartily welcome Astrid! Aug 3, 2009

I have noted that you are well versed and helpful - good things for a moderator.
I look forward to working with you and to be more active myself (returning to Windows from an Ubuntu excursion).

Best

Mats

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thank you Aug 3, 2009

Astrid, thank you for your kind words. I will remain a participant, no longer moderately dictating . . .

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you, Peter! Aug 4, 2009

I go along with Astrid one-hundred percent. Sorry to see you go, Peter! (Incidentally, I also met you at the 2006 Conference in Berlin.)

And a big welcome to Astrid and Mats!

@ Astrid: Like you, I have been struggling for two years now to make SR and CAT tools co-operate. I've been reasonably successful with SDLX but even that leaves a lot to be desired. For a while it looked as though the two worlds would never meet.

Recently, I took out a licence for Memo
... See more
I go along with Astrid one-hundred percent. Sorry to see you go, Peter! (Incidentally, I also met you at the 2006 Conference in Berlin.)

And a big welcome to Astrid and Mats!

@ Astrid: Like you, I have been struggling for two years now to make SR and CAT tools co-operate. I've been reasonably successful with SDLX but even that leaves a lot to be desired. For a while it looked as though the two worlds would never meet.

Recently, I took out a licence for MemoQ (Trados compatible, and a very handy tool, as another common acquaintance of ours, Kevin Lossner--again Berlin Conference 2006--will readily confirm).

One of my conditions was that MemoQ should be compatible with DNS. Well, the folks at MemoQ even rang me up to tell me that MemoQ had been developed with DNS in mind, and that the two ought to be 100 percent compatible. First experiments seem to indicate that this is correct. So now I just have to find the time to get more familiar with MemoQ and start using it in earnest.

Best

Volkmar
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moderators for the year 2009-2010

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »