veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 18:53
French to English
+ ...
Jul 10, 2009

Hello,
I was forced to buy my laptop with a French version of Vista. The installed Vista speech recognition language engine is the French one. I can't find any information about buying and installing the English language Vista speech recognition engine. Does anyone know?

TIA,
Vera

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-10 18:55 GMT]

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Same situation Jul 10, 2009

When I looked into it last year I seem to remember that there are several versions of vista, and, guess what, only the super duper one (can't remember its official name) offers a choice of languages for speech recognition.
You can buy an upgrade to a superior version of vista but, funnily enough, the price is (or was) about the same as for the mid range Dragon software.

In the end I didn't get either because I don't have a closed office space and my partner made it clear that
... See more
When I looked into it last year I seem to remember that there are several versions of vista, and, guess what, only the super duper one (can't remember its official name) offers a choice of languages for speech recognition.
You can buy an upgrade to a superior version of vista but, funnily enough, the price is (or was) about the same as for the mid range Dragon software.

In the end I didn't get either because I don't have a closed office space and my partner made it clear that she would not tolerate listening to me talking translation gobbledegook all day to the computer.

Mark

Information about upgrades is in the the microsoft vista site.

[Edited at 2009-07-10 19:25 GMT]
Collapse

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 18:53
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
additional question about Dragon Jul 10, 2009

Mark Nathan wrote:

Information about upgrades is in the the microsoft vista site.

[Edited at 2009-07-10 19:25 GMT]

Thanks, Mark. And regarding Dragon, do you know for sure if one can simply buy the English Dragon Naturally speaking (I considered the Standard version) and run it on a French Vista?

I read some comments from people who bought Dragon in a different language than their OS and it runs fine. And then there are people who have bought the better versions of Dragon which offer more than one language. But I just wanted to confirm that Dragon is totally independent from the installed Vista OS language.

Regards,
Vera

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Dragon is independent of operating system language Jul 11, 2009

As far as I am aware.

When I looked at it, English came as as an option on all versions of "preferred".
So if you buy the French version you will also get English, but not vice versa.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying English language Vista speech recognition engine

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »