Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:35
Spanish
+ ...
Apr 20, 2009

I used to be able to say 'press enter twice' and Dragon would just do that. But after a clean installation, that command wasn't working at all in any application. How do I enable it in DNS 10 SP1?

Also, some commands and normal behaviors aren't working. For instance, I'm using Firefox and words aren't capitalized after a period, when I say 'start Microsoft Word', Dragon spells it out instead of opening Microsoft Word. And when I tried using Dragon with Thunderbird, Dragon does work
... See more
I used to be able to say 'press enter twice' and Dragon would just do that. But after a clean installation, that command wasn't working at all in any application. How do I enable it in DNS 10 SP1?

Also, some commands and normal behaviors aren't working. For instance, I'm using Firefox and words aren't capitalized after a period, when I say 'start Microsoft Word', Dragon spells it out instead of opening Microsoft Word. And when I tried using Dragon with Thunderbird, Dragon does work but it's incredible slow so I have to use DragonPad.

Under Option, Natural Language Commands are enabled in most commands are also enabled. Any ideas?

Claudia
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 12:35
English
You Are Not Using the Correct Command Names Apr 28, 2009

"Press enter twice" was never a NaturallySpeaking command. You can only accomplish this task by saying “press enter”, briefly pausing and then saying “press enter” again. However, it's much easier to simply say “new paragraph”, “next paragraph” or use the KnowBrainer "Enter 1-20" command. In KnowBrainer we would accomplish this task by saying “Enter 2”.

Firefox has never been fully supported by NaturallySpeaking but you can improve its functionality with an Inte
... See more
"Press enter twice" was never a NaturallySpeaking command. You can only accomplish this task by saying “press enter”, briefly pausing and then saying “press enter” again. However, it's much easier to simply say “new paragraph”, “next paragraph” or use the KnowBrainer "Enter 1-20" command. In KnowBrainer we would accomplish this task by saying “Enter 2”.

Firefox has never been fully supported by NaturallySpeaking but you can improve its functionality with an Internet Explorer add-in or by switching to Internet Explorer.

“Start Microsoft Word” has never been a NaturallySpeaking command; unless you are using KnowBrainer. The specific command is “Start Microsoft Office Word 2007”. If you're using an earlier version of MS Word, simply substitute the appropriate year. You can optionally place a shortcut on your desktop, name it anything you want and launch it by saying "Start" or "Open" "Name of application, shortcut or file". One example would be “Start Word”.

Thunderbird isn't compatible with NaturallySpeaking but as an option to cutting and pasting from DragonPad, you can use the Dictation Box, which is designed for this purpose.

One option to clear up a number of these command limitations is KnowBrainer but you might also consider posting these types of questions on the world's largest speech recognition forum KnowBrainer Speech Recognition Forums which specializes in speech recognition and has far more speech recognition experts (including the former head developer of NaturallySpeaking).
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:35
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shortcuts May 10, 2009

Tom Hamilton wrote:

You can optionally place a shortcut on your desktop, name it anything you want and launch it by saying "Start" or "Open" "Name of application, shortcut or file". One example would be “Start Word”.

That works perfectly! Thanks Tom.

I have a question about KnowBrainer Command, does it improve DNS's compatibility with other programs? One of the things that I hate about DNS is that when it's used in a non-supported program, it's extremely slow. Like Thunderbird.

There is are several programs that we translators use (CAT tools), and even though they work fine with DNS, there is a delay after a particular term or sentence is spoken. I.e., after a sentence is typed down, these programs need a command in order to move on to the next sentence (segment). Since sometimes there is a delay, dictating a phrase and waiting until the phrase is written down so the command can be spoken or keyed, can be time-consuming. I usually have to say 'go to end of line' but that doesn't work every time. Can KnowBrainer Command fix or at improve the delay with those non-fully-compatible programs?

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
DNS & CAT May 12, 2009

In my experience, DNS 10 works relatively well with with SDLX (and with MemoQ, I should mention, but I have little experience with the latter). No delays at all.

In SDLX, DNS 10 is as fast as in any supported application. As soon as a segment is finished, DNS will move to the next SDLX segment on the the command corresponding to "new line" (I use the German version, hence "neue Zeile"). Not all DNS commands will work in SDLX, though.

When Nuance released Service Pack1,
... See more
In my experience, DNS 10 works relatively well with with SDLX (and with MemoQ, I should mention, but I have little experience with the latter). No delays at all.

In SDLX, DNS 10 is as fast as in any supported application. As soon as a segment is finished, DNS will move to the next SDLX segment on the the command corresponding to "new line" (I use the German version, hence "neue Zeile"). Not all DNS commands will work in SDLX, though.

When Nuance released Service Pack1, I downloaded it. The result was an utterly erratic behaviour of DNS in SDLX. Certain functions wouldn't work at all or did funny things. I finally chucked the cpomplete DNS set-up out (you can't uninstall the SP by itself) and re-installed DNS 10.

Maybe this is all a moot discussion, as it appears that the SDL, the makers of SDLX, intend to let SDLX quietly pass away (or merge it with Trados). That is why I 've been looking at MemoQ, whose developers claim it has been developed with DNS in mind. At first glance, this appears to be so.

The gripe I have about DNS is that I haven't been able to get it to read text to me in either SDLX or MemoQ. For translation quality purposes, I need the two-column format so DNS can read the target column (= translation) to me while I read the source column. Interestingly, the much-maligned (and now defunct) Via Voice will do just that, and at a very hight quality.

Altogether, though, DNS & CAT seems to be very much a Kipling story "...and never the twain shall meet." I suspect that for Nuance, CAT Tool adaptation would be too small a niche market. The impetus would have to come from the CAT tool vendors. MemoQ has made a start. Let's hope the others will follow suit.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some problems with DNS 10 SP1

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »