Thread poster: paul vial
paul vial
paul vial
France
Local time: 03:42
English to French
Mar 7, 2009

Hello everyone ,
I would like to acquire a speech recognition software , Mac compatible and which, if at all possible , would allow me to dictate in more than one language

I have read many good reviews on Dragon net , but I understand that it is not Mac compatible , and I found DICTATE which seems to be the Mac equivalent , but with mixed reviews.

I would be interested to have comments and recommendations from translators using the product , and clarifications
... See more
Hello everyone ,
I would like to acquire a speech recognition software , Mac compatible and which, if at all possible , would allow me to dictate in more than one language

I have read many good reviews on Dragon net , but I understand that it is not Mac compatible , and I found DICTATE which seems to be the Mac equivalent , but with mixed reviews.

I would be interested to have comments and recommendations from translators using the product , and clarifications as to whether the system recognises more than one language, or whether one needs to buy more than one version of the system (ie to cater for different languages )

Many thanks in advance

[Edited at 2009-03-07 19:39 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:42
Swedish to English
+ ...
No easy answers Mar 9, 2009

The lack of response to your message illustrates a key disadvantage of Macs.

On PCs, Dragon speech recognition works remarkably well ( I am using it for this reply).

On the language issue, I believe you have to buy a language-specific version. Dragon cannot be trained to understand other languages.

paul vial
paul vial
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Windows for mac , an alternative ? Mar 9, 2009

Many thanks Peter,
Your answer confirms my fears .
I wonder if any Mac users have actually found a solution , someone mentioned using "parallel " windows on his /her mac to allow the dragon software to work ..
In any case this might impact on the free memory on the computer, might it not ?

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 10:42
Japanese to English
The final solution Mar 9, 2009

WARNING: Apostate Rantings Below

I was a Mac user for 15 years, and it was speech recognition that drove me away. I spent my last 2-3 Mac years apologizing for ViaVoice and cobbling together hopelessly arcane macros in Nisus Writer to try to come up with something approaching an efficient translation system. It just didn't work. The underlying infrastructure wasn't there.

Eventually I reached a crisis of faith: do I remain with my beloved Mac OS or do I switch to tools
... See more
WARNING: Apostate Rantings Below

I was a Mac user for 15 years, and it was speech recognition that drove me away. I spent my last 2-3 Mac years apologizing for ViaVoice and cobbling together hopelessly arcane macros in Nisus Writer to try to come up with something approaching an efficient translation system. It just didn't work. The underlying infrastructure wasn't there.

Eventually I reached a crisis of faith: do I remain with my beloved Mac OS or do I switch to tools that will benefit me as a professional? I chose to be a professional, bought myself a Windows machine, installed DNS and haven't looked back. Whatever Mac's attractions, and I know they are many, I believe Windows is still the better platform when you actually want to get something done, and especially when you want to use technologies like speech recognition that are still a bit edgy.

Mac may have wonderfully innovative UI designs, but Windows is far more advanced when you actually try to pull together disparate technologies like SR, translation memories, glossaries, databases and word processing and combine them into a meaningful, usable whole.

If you want a real solution that involves speech recognition, make a clean break, junk your Mac and come over to the dark side. It really isn't so bad (well, maybe Vista...).
Collapse

paul vial
paul vial
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
rantings welcome Mar 9, 2009

Thank you Richard for your clear and honest rantings .

I take on board your advice , and perhaps I will negotiate with my wife the use of her "windows" enabled laptop for this purpose .
I am really disappointed as I recently switched to Mac ....
But the more i research this point, the more enclined to revert to windows Ibecome

Many thanks again

ElliBe
ElliBe  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Windows applications on iMac May 11, 2009

Hello,

I'm working on an iMac and I really appreciate it.

Since Trados is not working directly on Mac, I have installed XP Pro, MS Office and Trados via Parallels Desktop. That works fine. There's only the problem that the Mac keyboard is different from the Windows one so that it's sometimes a bit confusing.

I'm planning to buy DNS for working on my translations, but it won't work in all the Mac applications...

It's a pity, but on the other ha
... See more
Hello,

I'm working on an iMac and I really appreciate it.

Since Trados is not working directly on Mac, I have installed XP Pro, MS Office and Trados via Parallels Desktop. That works fine. There's only the problem that the Mac keyboard is different from the Windows one so that it's sometimes a bit confusing.

I'm planning to buy DNS for working on my translations, but it won't work in all the Mac applications...

It's a pity, but on the other hand it's only a small part of all my writing work I really do on Mac applications. And if there's something longer to write there would be the possibility of copy and paste...
Collapse

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
Local time: 02:42
English to Polish
+ ...
have you tried macspeech dictate? Mar 3, 2010

It may well be a bit late to be useful to the OP, but I just stumbled across this speech recognition product for macs.

MacSpeech Dictate http://www.macspeech.com/

It's also owned by Nuance (who own DNS). It seems nuance have cornered the voice recognition market.

If this doesn't help the OP, I at least hope it will help anyone searching for this info later on.

... See more
It may well be a bit late to be useful to the OP, but I just stumbled across this speech recognition product for macs.

MacSpeech Dictate http://www.macspeech.com/

It's also owned by Nuance (who own DNS). It seems nuance have cornered the voice recognition market.

If this doesn't help the OP, I at least hope it will help anyone searching for this info later on.

Alex Eames
http://www.translatortips.com
helping translators do better business
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on speech recognition

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »