Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:46
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2008

I've been using DNS 10 Preferred (English) successfully for about a month but now it is only working in Dragon Pad. It doesn't work in any other application.

I've contacted the support desk but they are slow to respond.

Can any of you help with this?

I have one other question regarding DNS 10. Since I started using it my hard disk space has gradually shrunk by about 20 GB.

Is this normal, can I delete some of the data, do I need the data, wh
... See more
I've been using DNS 10 Preferred (English) successfully for about a month but now it is only working in Dragon Pad. It doesn't work in any other application.

I've contacted the support desk but they are slow to respond.

Can any of you help with this?

I have one other question regarding DNS 10. Since I started using it my hard disk space has gradually shrunk by about 20 GB.

Is this normal, can I delete some of the data, do I need the data, where is the data on my computer? Basically, I don't really understand what's going on with it.

I 've read the user guide from cover to cover but I didn't get the info I needed.

Thanks
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
data collection option? Nov 23, 2008

I don't think that I can help you with your first question, but I can tell you that something is definitely wrong. You should to be able to dictate into any program that accepts text. Are you able to reinstall DNS 10?

The only other thing that occurs to me (but I don't see why it would cause this problem) is the Natural Language Commands option, which can be set up by going to Tools, Option, Commands, and clicking on the "Natural Language Commands" box. I have it checked, but then
... See more
I don't think that I can help you with your first question, but I can tell you that something is definitely wrong. You should to be able to dictate into any program that accepts text. Are you able to reinstall DNS 10?

The only other thing that occurs to me (but I don't see why it would cause this problem) is the Natural Language Commands option, which can be set up by going to Tools, Option, Commands, and clicking on the "Natural Language Commands" box. I have it checked, but then all the MS programs are not checked, so in other words, it's disabled, but I can still dictate into Word.

As far as the space issue goes, if you haven't already done this, you might want to go to Tools, Options, and under the Data tab, look at the "Data collection" option, which has a warning: "may consume up to 500 mb of disk space." If you have that turned on, that might be the source of your problem.

Also, in that same tab, if you click on the Advanced box, there are two data-tracking options, which I also have not enabled, and you might want to leave those off.

Good luck!
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
Dragon Pad Nov 24, 2008

Have you checked your start up command - under tool, options. Uncheck the dargon pad. Then it won't start up in Dragon Pad.
suz

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
good answer! Nov 25, 2008

Blangsted:

I look right at that when I was answering, and it never occurred to me that that might be the problem. I hope Stuart will let us know if that fixed it.

Patricia

Stuart Dowell
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Nov 25, 2008

Thanks for your answers.

The problem seems to have solved itself! Now it works in all applications.

I still have the problem that my hard disk space is getting used up at a fast rate.

Stuart

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 11:46
English
DNS 10 Responce Nov 26, 2008

The most likely reason why NaturallySpeaking wasn't working in certain applications, like Microsoft Word, is because you either launched the other application before launching NaturallySpeaking (a major no-no) or the other application ejected the Select-&-Say plug-in. You usually only have to re-enabled the DNS Select-&-Say plug-in for any given application to re-enabled dictation and Select-&-Say.

DNS eats up a lot of temporary hard drive space and you're going to need to defrag (o
... See more
The most likely reason why NaturallySpeaking wasn't working in certain applications, like Microsoft Word, is because you either launched the other application before launching NaturallySpeaking (a major no-no) or the other application ejected the Select-&-Say plug-in. You usually only have to re-enabled the DNS Select-&-Say plug-in for any given application to re-enabled dictation and Select-&-Say.

DNS eats up a lot of temporary hard drive space and you're going to need to defrag (optimize) minimally once a week if your hard drive is almost full. We recommend Diskeeper. However, if you wish to immediately save space on your hard drive, add a checkmark to “Conserve disk space required by user” under the data tab of the DNS options. Note that you will no longer be able to run the Acoustic Optimizer if you choose this option.

Tom Hamilton - KnowBrainer Inc. Support Staff
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor
Collapse

Stuart Dowell
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working in word now Nov 28, 2008

Tom Hamilton wrote:

The most likely reason why NaturallySpeaking wasn't working in certain applications, like Microsoft Word, is because you either launched the other application before launching NaturallySpeaking (a major no-no)

Thank for the tip, I didn't know that.

You usually only have to re-enabled the DNS Select-&-Say plug-in for any given application to re-enabled dictation and Select-&-Say.

Yes, I had to re-enable the plug-in in word and DNS is working with word now.

DNS eats up a lot of temporary hard drive space and you're going to need to defrag (optimize) minimally once a week if your hard drive is almost full. We recommend Diskeeper. However, if you wish to immediately save space on your hard drive, add a checkmark to “Conserve disk space required by user” under the data tab of the DNS options. Note that you will no longer be able to run the Acoustic Optimizer if you choose this option.

I have a lot of hard disk space (220 from 298 GB) but since I started using DNS (5-6 weeks) it's taken up 20 GB but I don't know where is has gone. Will defraging resolve this?

MWar (X)
MWar (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:46
Another possible fix Nov 22, 2013

I had this issue today, I work for a service desk.

After installing manually using elevated install, the program wouldn't recognise Word or Excel even though the plugins were installed and active. Furthermore it wouldn't recognise Lotus Notes or notepad.

after some troubleshooting I granted the user temporary admin rights, uninstalled and reinstalled the program in his user ID. After that the program was able to recognise all applications. Revoked admin rights and th
... See more
I had this issue today, I work for a service desk.

After installing manually using elevated install, the program wouldn't recognise Word or Excel even though the plugins were installed and active. Furthermore it wouldn't recognise Lotus Notes or notepad.

after some troubleshooting I granted the user temporary admin rights, uninstalled and reinstalled the program in his user ID. After that the program was able to recognise all applications. Revoked admin rights and the application still worked fine.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS 10 only works in Dragon Pad

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »