Thread poster: Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 24, 2008

I am considering purchasing a Spanish speech recognition engine or application and I am having a hard time finding ideas and reviews in this FORUM and in general.
Would anyone be kind and give me an idea about what to consider for a beginner in this matters? Prices, capabilities, benefits, nuances and all those general considerations…
I am getting ready for heavy volume of work next year and thought I should give a try to this possibility…

Thank you so very much!

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 07:11
English
speech recognition recommendations Oct 28, 2008

Javier Wasserzug wrote:

I am considering purchasing a Spanish speech recognition engine or application and I am having a hard time finding ideas and reviews in this FORUM and in general.
Would anyone be kind and give me an idea about what to consider for a beginner in this matters? Prices, capabilities, benefits, nuances and all those general considerations…
I am getting ready for heavy volume of work next year and thought I should give a try to this possibility…

Thank you so very much!

Javier,

I believe I can frame up an answer for you.

1. Dragon NaturallySpeaking preferred or Professional (Spanish) is really your best choice. There is VR built into Microsoft Vista but it's not quite up to par in a professional environment in my opinion. http://www.knowbrainer.com/ShopOnline/index.cfm/category/15/naturallyspeaking-software.cfm

2. The computer used to install DNS is of great importance. Our preference would be to go with a 2.0 GHz or faster Intel processor with 2 Gb of RAM for Windows XP or 3 Gb of RAM for Windows Vista. More recommendations can be found here. http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=viewForumCategory&categoryId=12

3. Get yourself a decent microphone and soundcard. You don't have to buy the best but don't waste your time with the mic that comes in the box. The mic that comes with Pro could be considered a starter mic and the mic that comes with Preferred is considered barely usable. The more mistakes you make the less efficient you are. We consider less than 96% accuracy to not be worth bothering with.

This is a start. Post back with your questions.

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GRATEFUL Oct 29, 2008

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I will take a look to those options you kindly included in your answer.
This is a great start.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Cepstral voices Nov 17, 2008

Javier,

I own Dragon and use it to dictate my translations, but I prefer to have them read back using the language bar on XP, with Cepstral voices. I bought one in English and one in Spanish, and they produce very high-quality speech. Each cost $30, and I've never regretted it.

http://cepstral.com/

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

lokking for ADVICE on SR

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »