DNS 9 & The Mysteriously Jumping Cursor
Thread poster: Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 05:50
German to English
Aug 26, 2008

I have been using DNS 9.5 for a few months now and have found it very effective. But when I use DNS in combination with Wordfast I am plagued by a problem that causes the cursor to jump several lines or along the line I am working on. I have consulted the manual for both products and have made the following alterations to the settings:

- activated FirstKeyDNS in Pandora's box (apparently this should solve the problem)
- Natural Language Commands are enabled
- Mouse motio
... See more
I have been using DNS 9.5 for a few months now and have found it very effective. But when I use DNS in combination with Wordfast I am plagued by a problem that causes the cursor to jump several lines or along the line I am working on. I have consulted the manual for both products and have made the following alterations to the settings:

- activated FirstKeyDNS in Pandora's box (apparently this should solve the problem)
- Natural Language Commands are enabled
- Mouse motion commands are disabled

I am working on a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P with Windows XP, Pentium 4 CPU with 3.06 GHz and 2 Ghz RAM. I use Office XP, DNS Preferred 9.5 and Wordfast 5.53. I use a desktop mic which sometimes picks up the clicking of the keys. DNS renders that as "up up up up up up" (very annoying).

I know that this issue has been discussed a few times over the lat few years but I have yet to find a satisfactory solution. Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

P.S. I am translating from an Excel file. So the computer is running Excel, Dragon, Word and Wordfast parallel.

[Edited at 2008-08-26 14:18]
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:50
French to English
+ ...
Find command Aug 26, 2008

Hi Damian,

I must admit that FirstkeyDNS works for me, but before that particular command was available in Pandora's Box, I was told to run a simple Find on any letter - say w - and replace with the same letter. That normally solves the problem, at least in the document you're working on.

Good luck!

Claire

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 05:50
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Claire Aug 27, 2008

Thanks for the tip Claire. Doing a search did help at first, but once I reached page 15 (in WF) the problem returned ... So I guess until I discover another solution I'll just have to start new docs every few hours and stitch it up later. As long as I'm translating Excel files I won't even have to do that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS 9 & The Mysteriously Jumping Cursor

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »