Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 24, 2008

I recently found a new use for Dragon Naturally Speaking (mine is Preferred 9), which is reading texts to me. Not translations, but articles I pick up of interest to me or relevant to my profession.

Since most of these articles are PDFs, I have to convert them to Word, but once that's done, I get DNS to read them to me as I cook, clean or do anything away from, but in the vicinity of, my desk.

I was wondering how to go about converting these texts to audio files, that
... See more
I recently found a new use for Dragon Naturally Speaking (mine is Preferred 9), which is reading texts to me. Not translations, but articles I pick up of interest to me or relevant to my profession.

Since most of these articles are PDFs, I have to convert them to Word, but once that's done, I get DNS to read them to me as I cook, clean or do anything away from, but in the vicinity of, my desk.

I was wondering how to go about converting these texts to audio files, that is, recording the text as it is read to me from the computer, as the idea would be to upload them to an MP3 player so I could listen as I walked my dog.

I had a look in my manual, but it refers to so many possibilities that I'm not sure where to begin.

Can anybody explain, in simple terms, where I might begin and what might be the easiest solution?

TIA:-)
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:29
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Audacity Aug 24, 2008

I'm not sure whether you can actually record longer files with DNS; but there are other applications for that.

Audacity is a free audio recording/editing program that allows you to record external sound via microphone as well as any sound coming from your computer. You can edit the sound files, if necessary, and export them into various audio formats such as mp3 or wma.

steve_park
steve_park  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 07:29
English to Korean
In memoriam
How about TextAloud Aug 25, 2008

If you don't mind taking looking at another software, the easiest solution you're looking for would be TextAloud. It directly works with PDFs, so you don't have to convert. It also offers a function in which you can sync with portable players or create MP3s. If you don't like the voices included, you can get voices from AT&T or RealSpeak. You can try their demos on http://www.nextup.com/. Hopefully this helps.... See more
If you don't mind taking looking at another software, the easiest solution you're looking for would be TextAloud. It directly works with PDFs, so you don't have to convert. It also offers a function in which you can sync with portable players or create MP3s. If you don't like the voices included, you can get voices from AT&T or RealSpeak. You can try their demos on http://www.nextup.com/. Hopefully this helps.

[Edited at 2008-08-25 01:05]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 25, 2008

I'm testing TextAloud and another one called Replay AV, cost about the same:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS: how to record audio files from played-back text

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »