Dragon Naturally SPeaking 10 (English, French & German) now available through ProZ.com
Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2008

Okay Voice Recognition fans. We have finally got the ability to promote DNS 10 in multiple languages and for Digital download. So you can now buy DNS 10 through ProZ.com and buy it in either English, German, or French languages. Not only can you buy any language you can now also buy via digital download - so users in any country can buy without expensive shipping and handling.

Visi
... See more
Okay Voice Recognition fans. We have finally got the ability to promote DNS 10 in multiple languages and for Digital download. So you can now buy DNS 10 through ProZ.com and buy it in either English, German, or French languages. Not only can you buy any language you can now also buy via digital download - so users in any country can buy without expensive shipping and handling.

Visit http://www.proz.com/shop and look for the DNS 10 items - please be sure to click on the right one (US Shoppers only have bundled package with microphone for the time being but we hope to have a digital download option early next week for the US)

Regards,

Drew MacFadyen
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I only see the Standard version of DNS Aug 23, 2008

Is the Preferred version also available?

James O'Reilly
James O'Reilly
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Dragon Product Matrix Aug 23, 2008

Nice comparison of features:

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/resources/product-matrix.asp

I think ProZ should also arrange purchasing opportunities for the Professional version too.

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Links fixed Aug 23, 2008

Sorry about that, looks like we had the wrong links in place. The intent was to offer preferred. The price on preferred is quite a bit higher, but as James points out there are considerable differences. Unfortunately our current partner does not support Professional versions, but we will look to have that in place soon.

I will have coupon codes next week and will add that information to the shop page and here when available.

Thanks

Drew

James O'Reilly
James O'Reilly
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Overview of Audio Transcription Technologies for Translation Aug 23, 2008

Here is a blog compilation of audio transcription technologies and methods that stretch and interface into translation processing:

http://e-i-consulting-translation.blogspot.com/2008/08/audio-transcription-technology.html

A few YouTube videos also give you a taste of the practitioner's side.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:58
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
update version Aug 23, 2008

It's definitely great to be able to download and buy the German version from outside of Germany.

Could the update version be made available also?

James O'Reilly
James O'Reilly
Germany
German to English
+ ...
English Professional Version From Germany Aug 26, 2008

I would prefer getting the English Pro version from Germany.

As I have read in the next thread, one license can accommodate German and English
only by adding a new profile with a second language, then by switching/activating the
profiles back and forth.

Sara Kampman
Sara Kampman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:58
English to Dutch
Dutch Dragon Aug 27, 2008

Is there any news on the release of the Dutch version of Dragon 10?

Thanks, Sara

Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:58
German to English
Computer must have Instructions SSE2 Aug 28, 2008

Please note that your computer must have Instructions SSE2, otherwise Dragon 10 (and according to the US Dragon Customer Service, Dragon 9) won't run on your PC. SSE2 came out in 2001, but my computer is 2002 and doesn't have it. Unfortunately, the Instructions cannot be updated.

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank for noting that Aug 28, 2008

Maybe we can start a Wiki entry on DNS and its requirements - i for one found out that my RAM was insufficient to run DNS 9 I believe you need at least 1 G RAM if you intend to run other programs you likely want more than that.

I started a WIKI here - http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/en:Dragon_Naturally_Speaking
please feel free to contribute.

Drew

robertohess
robertohess
Local time: 00:58
German to English
German+English version of DNS 10 Preferred Jan 7, 2009

I saw that the Proz shop sells the German version of DNS 10 Preferred for download. Does the German version also include the English version? If so, is the added English version the same, i.e., just as good as the English-only version?

Thanks!

Robert

robertohess
robertohess
Local time: 00:58
German to English
DNS 10 - missing/dysfunctional commands Jan 26, 2009

Well, I just got DNS 10 after using DNS 7 for many years.

The most noticeable difference DNS 10 and DNS 7, to me, is speed. Dictated material appears almost instantly on my screen. Then again, I also bought a much faster PC, so the better speed may have to do more with the PC.

Accuracy is, as one would hope, also substantially better, mostly in the sense that the program now seems to recognize a broader range of material. I can now dictate basic personal letters, which
... See more
Well, I just got DNS 10 after using DNS 7 for many years.

The most noticeable difference DNS 10 and DNS 7, to me, is speed. Dictated material appears almost instantly on my screen. Then again, I also bought a much faster PC, so the better speed may have to do more with the PC.

Accuracy is, as one would hope, also substantially better, mostly in the sense that the program now seems to recognize a broader range of material. I can now dictate basic personal letters, which was all but impossible before.

My one big gripe with DNS 10 is that some of the most basic commands - commands that worked perfectly with my DNS 7 - are either not working or have been discontinued:

1) The command "format that spelled out," which can be used to convert numbers into words is apparently no longer part of the package. But please correct me if I am wrong. I'd love to be wrong on this one, as I use(d) that command a lot.

2) The command "go to end of paragraph" also is no longer part of the repertoire, from what I can tell. I have tried to train it, to no avail.

3) Same for the command "switch to Microsoft Word" to go from Dragon Pad to whatever Word document I am working with. This one, I think, is supposed to be there, but simply doesn't work.

Those are just the problems I have identified in the first week. Frankly, it's ludicrous that these basic commands either don't work or have been discontinued. It feels like a big step back to me. Even my prehistoric DNS 4 used to manage some of these things.

I have also found certain spelling errors in DNS 10 that were already present in DNS 7. Two examples are the words "stock"and "corporation," which DNS consistently capitalizes for no apparent reason, i.e., the context does not call for it. I also cannot train the program to do otherwise.

Couple that with Nuance's one-time customer support - you pay $19.95 for each subsequent call - and I have to say that I am developing a certain dislike for the company. Yes, accuracy and probably speed have gone up some compared to my old DNS 7. But that's to expected after FIVE years of additional development and investment. The speed of computers in general has probably increased 20-fold (I am totally guessing here) over the same time period.

In any event, before you buy DNS 10, try to figure out which of the commands you need are still working. My guess is that had I owned DNS 9 before, I would have been hugely disappointed by DNS 10 - assuming that the above commands were still working in DNS 9.

Robert
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Naturally SPeaking 10 (English, French & German) now available through ProZ.com

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »