Help! Dragon won't add new words to vocabulary!
Thread poster: Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
French to English
+ ...
May 22, 2008

Hello,

I'm using DNS9 Standard and have had no problems for the past year, but when I switched it on today, it immediately sent up a command telling me there was no room to add new words to my vocabulary and promptly switched itself off. I've looked through the help topics and the online help on the Nuance site, but I can't find anything about compacting your vocabulary or switching to a new one. Has anyone come across this before and how did you resolve it if so? For the moment, I'
... See more
Hello,

I'm using DNS9 Standard and have had no problems for the past year, but when I switched it on today, it immediately sent up a command telling me there was no room to add new words to my vocabulary and promptly switched itself off. I've looked through the help topics and the online help on the Nuance site, but I can't find anything about compacting your vocabulary or switching to a new one. Has anyone come across this before and how did you resolve it if so? For the moment, I've gone back in again and it seems to be working OK, albeit slowly, but that's probably more to do with the file I'm working on than anything else. I find it goes much slower with Wordfast as the file progresses and becomes increasingly large, especially if there are a lot of tables and text boxes, etc.

Many thanks.

Claire
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
surprised by the lack of response May 23, 2008

Claire,

My comments probably won't be of much help but since no one has responded, I thought I'd add my 2 centavos worth. Perhaps the lack of response means that you just had a glitch? Anyway, I hope it's solved.

About 2 weeks ago, I had one terrible day with DNS9--it kept hearing my dictation as commands! I had it set for normal mode, and hadn't changed anything, and suddenly, poof! I couldn't work. Then, just as suddenly, everything was all right ... (I had to rebo
... See more
Claire,

My comments probably won't be of much help but since no one has responded, I thought I'd add my 2 centavos worth. Perhaps the lack of response means that you just had a glitch? Anyway, I hope it's solved.

About 2 weeks ago, I had one terrible day with DNS9--it kept hearing my dictation as commands! I had it set for normal mode, and hadn't changed anything, and suddenly, poof! I couldn't work. Then, just as suddenly, everything was all right ... (I had to reboot multiple times before that point, however). I have no idea why it happened.

You may already know this: You can edit and delete the words in the vocabulary list. You can also export that list for safe-keeping (although I'm still a bit hazy on how the pronunciation gets stored if you export to, say, an Excel file).

If you're still having problems, perhaps you could prune out some terms that you aren't currently using? A clunky solution, but better than not being able to work.

Best,
Patricia
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 23, 2008

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your reply - I was beginning to think I was the only DNS user out here!

It does seem to be working OK now, so perhaps it was just a glitch after all. Just in case it happens again though, could you possibly tell me how to access the vocabulary to edit it? The only way I could find seemed to be to do it manually? I did (or rather my son and computer consultant did!) manage to export the user files to set up on my new laptop recently, so I suppose
... See more
Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your reply - I was beginning to think I was the only DNS user out here!

It does seem to be working OK now, so perhaps it was just a glitch after all. Just in case it happens again though, could you possibly tell me how to access the vocabulary to edit it? The only way I could find seemed to be to do it manually? I did (or rather my son and computer consultant did!) manage to export the user files to set up on my new laptop recently, so I suppose at a pinch I could always export them back.

Greetings from one spaniel (Poppy) to another!

Thanks again,

Claire
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Just saw your note! Jun 1, 2008

Claire,

So sorry I didn't respond sooner! I forgot to check the little box so I'd get a notification. The only way I know to "edit" the dictionary is to go to the Words menu and select View/Edit, and I suppose that's what you meant by "manually"?

I can open the "exported" dictionary, but I have to say that I don't see anything in it that looks like "pronunciation" so if I reimported it, I wonder if it would work? If it does (somehow), you could edit (delete entries) i
... See more
Claire,

So sorry I didn't respond sooner! I forgot to check the little box so I'd get a notification. The only way I know to "edit" the dictionary is to go to the Words menu and select View/Edit, and I suppose that's what you meant by "manually"?

I can open the "exported" dictionary, but I have to say that I don't see anything in it that looks like "pronunciation" so if I reimported it, I wonder if it would work? If it does (somehow), you could edit (delete entries) in Notepad, and then reimport. But I'd want to be sure it worked before trying that!

In any case, hope DNS9 is behaving now...

Jake, July, and Jimmie send their best to darling Poppy!

Patricia
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Final outcome Jun 9, 2008

Just to let anyone who may have a similar problem in the future know the final outcome of this tale:

DNS continued to let me work for a while, although it kept coming up with this message. I did try and edit the vocabulary manually as Patricia suggested, but yesterday it came up with a message telling me my Dragon installation was damaged and to reinstall. I duly reinstalled, but I still got the message. However, when I tried to use a different user file, it seemed to be OK. I there
... See more
Just to let anyone who may have a similar problem in the future know the final outcome of this tale:

DNS continued to let me work for a while, although it kept coming up with this message. I did try and edit the vocabulary manually as Patricia suggested, but yesterday it came up with a message telling me my Dragon installation was damaged and to reinstall. I duly reinstalled, but I still got the message. However, when I tried to use a different user file, it seemed to be OK. I therefore decided to delete my user file and reload the user file I'd backed up when loading Dragon on to my laptop back in March. Thank goodness I'd done so because it has solved the problem! Definitely worthwhile backing up user files for future reference. No idea why it had become corrupted, as I can't think my vocabulary would have been full after 15 months of use.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Dragon won't add new words to vocabulary!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »