Different languages for Dragon Naturally Speaking?
Thread poster: John Cutler
John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 9, 2008

Hi, I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question. I was wondering if Dragon Naturally Speaking works based on the target language you want to use? What I mean is, are there different versions for different languages?

If I translate into English, do I need to buy an English version of the program? I suppose it's obvious by now that I'm a newbie at CAT tools

Before buying it, I'd also like to know any o
... See more
Hi, I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question. I was wondering if Dragon Naturally Speaking works based on the target language you want to use? What I mean is, are there different versions for different languages?

If I translate into English, do I need to buy an English version of the program? I suppose it's obvious by now that I'm a newbie at CAT tools

Before buying it, I'd also like to know any of the particular advantages and disadvantages there are to using it. Are there many worthwhile differences between the standard and preferred versions?

Thanks for any pointers!

John
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not a CAT May 9, 2008

Hi John,

Dragon is not a CAT
It's simply a writing tool. It does not have a translation memory.

Yes, you can have multiple languages, but you have to set up a separate user account for each.
Not sure about all the languages, though. I very much doubt whether Catalan is supported, for example. I think English is pretty much default.

Yes, there are differences between standard and p
... See more
Hi John,

Dragon is not a CAT
It's simply a writing tool. It does not have a translation memory.

Yes, you can have multiple languages, but you have to set up a separate user account for each.
Not sure about all the languages, though. I very much doubt whether Catalan is supported, for example. I think English is pretty much default.

Yes, there are differences between standard and preferred; I work with preferred and am quite content.

Advantages: less spelling errors and typos. If you're not a fast typist, it will speed up your work. Less RSI, too.

Disadvantages: it takes quite some time to train, and you'll have to train it for each language. You need good hardware too (computer audio, microphone).

If you're looking for a CAT-tool, you're talking about Trados, Wordfast, Transit, etc. They work with translation memories.

Good luck!
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Don't make the same mistake I made May 9, 2008

Hi, John!

I made a mistake when I bought it. I naturally wanted it to write the target language, English, so I ordered it from somewhere in Britain. It arrived, and it was an English-only version.

I subsequently found out that if I had bought the German version locally it was programmed to do German and English! It annoyed me to find that out afterwards, because occasionally it would be useful to have it available for German as well, but now the version I have recognise
... See more
Hi, John!

I made a mistake when I bought it. I naturally wanted it to write the target language, English, so I ordered it from somewhere in Britain. It arrived, and it was an English-only version.

I subsequently found out that if I had bought the German version locally it was programmed to do German and English! It annoyed me to find that out afterwards, because occasionally it would be useful to have it available for German as well, but now the version I have recognises only English.

You might find, for example, that the Spanish version is bilingual in Spanish and English.

Astrid
Collapse

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Different bilingual versions available May 9, 2008

Apart from the cheaper monolingual version there are several bilingual versions with two recognition languages each available. And from DNS 9.5 on you can even combine different bilingual versions.
I bought and installed the language versions English-German and English-Spanish and am happily talking in three languages with my computer now.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
if you are beginning to see signs of RSI May 9, 2008

John Cutler wrote:

Before buying it, I'd also like to know any of the particular advantages and disadvantages there are to using it. Are there many worthwhile differences between the standard and preferred versions?

John

It's definitely a great investment, it's slowish to train, but you can feel assured that the day your arm begins to hurt badly that you won't have to stop working.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 10, 2008

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!!

You're right Lia about my arm hurting.

That's my main reason for looking into something like this.

Björn Houben
Björn Houben  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
/// May 29, 2008

Please note that DNS 9.5 does not function on Vista 64 systems. (older versions do, however...)

Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
French to English
combining versions Jul 6, 2008

Anette Hilgendag wrote:

Apart from the cheaper monolingual version there are several bilingual versions with two recognition languages each available. And from DNS 9.5 on you can even combine different bilingual versions.
I bought and installed the language versions English-German and English-Spanish and am happily talking in three languages with my computer now.

To be precise, Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.5 PREFERRED and up allow combining of multiple language packages, and contain International English in the case of non-English versions (French for example).

The cheaper STANDARD version does not, as I found out the hard way. (I had to exchange it.)

By the way, I am generally quite happy with this program. It works fairly well, and quickly paid for itself.

Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
French to English
additional point on voice recognition Jul 11, 2008

Jonathan von Zelowitz wrote:

By the way, I am generally quite happy with this program.

I forgot to mention the most important drawback of voice recognition technology: you can't eat while you are translating!

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 01:52
French to English
+ ...
to note Jul 10, 2009

I forgot to mention the most important drawback of voice recognition technology: you can't eat while you are translating!

Unless, of course, you were transcribing a lunch break!

Vera

tuanis
tuanis  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
limitations Feb 27, 2011

That would be known as "blowing chow" in the American vernacular.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different languages for Dragon Naturally Speaking?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »