Bouquets and brickbats for Platinum Membership
Thread poster: Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 18:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2002

Over the years members have had varying experencies with the Platinum membership judged from the opinions expressed on the forum postings over the last two and half years or so.

What benefit did the Platinum members get? Let us have your sincere and honest opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-09 12:07 ]

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
Plain and simple: plenty! Aug 9, 2002

As far as I\'m concerned (and knowing ProZ rather/very well), Platinum membership has offered me plenty of advantages and judging from what\'s on offer now, I think it would be wise if more non-paying members jumped to the occasion.

Going Platinum also enables ProZ to further improve the site (I don\'t think anyone can complain about what\'s already there) and you\'ll agree that this is what it\'s all about.

In short, go for it! Especially now.
[ad
... See more
As far as I\'m concerned (and knowing ProZ rather/very well), Platinum membership has offered me plenty of advantages and judging from what\'s on offer now, I think it would be wise if more non-paying members jumped to the occasion.

Going Platinum also enables ProZ to further improve the site (I don\'t think anyone can complain about what\'s already there) and you\'ll agree that this is what it\'s all about.

In short, go for it! Especially now.
[addsig]
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Local time: 15:15
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
special offer 6000 Browniz + US$60 = US$120 + 60 lost Aug 9, 2002

I think that Platinum it is a good idea but for me it has been the worst idea... I took that sspecia promotion and I have lost US$180 that nobody care about it...
[addsig]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:15
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
For me Aug 9, 2002

First ProZ opened lots of doors, not platinum membership specially.

I work in two worlds, my country, with people I know personally, and Internet, with people I know through ProZ.

I waited some time to decide to become Platinum, and I felt it was great not to be forced to it, and to be able to use the site without paying anything.

I could ask other platinum members about what they thought about it before taking my decision.

And I think the major advantage
... See more
First ProZ opened lots of doors, not platinum membership specially.

I work in two worlds, my country, with people I know personally, and Internet, with people I know through ProZ.

I waited some time to decide to become Platinum, and I felt it was great not to be forced to it, and to be able to use the site without paying anything.

I could ask other platinum members about what they thought about it before taking my decision.

And I think the major advantage of it is the position and exhibition you get when you look for translators by pairs of languages.

If you are platinum you are in the first page. We are a lot (36 000 I\'ve heard), so to be noticed it\'s useful. And if you\'re a KudoZ owner it\'s much better.

It has other advantages : I don\'t care about how many Brownies I have to bid for an offer, it\'s like buying with a credit card and don\'t caring about your account. I look to the Blue Board as often as I want, and my comments are published as soon as I write them...

I\'m very satisfied with ProZ and with my Platinum membership.

I appreciated to be able to buy it with 50% in Brownies, and it did work for me.

PLEASE, WHOEVER IS THE RESPONSABLE OF THIS, HELP ALBERTOV TO TAKE HIS MONEY BACK, HE\'S VERY DISAPPOINTED.

But I repeat, this feeling of freedom about my choice was fantastic, so you decide what to do, these are just the advantages I see in it.
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I had the same feeling Claudia Aug 9, 2002

\"I waited some time to decide to become Platinum, and I felt it was great not to be forced to it, and to be able to use the site without paying anything\".

As soon as my membership \"expires\" I´ll renew it.

¿Por qué estamos hablando en inglés, by the way?

Aurora

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
¿y esto estaba en el foro "Spanish" desde el principio? Aug 9, 2002

No me había parecido, pero no estoy segura de nada.

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
in English and as an outsourcer Aug 10, 2002

If it may help you, Telesforo, here are my two cents (in English, since my active Spanish has disappeared, alas, even though I can read it).

I went Platinum when I was still a freelance translator and I did it simply because Proz.com had given me so much (terminology, profile page, contacts, a few jobs, a window on the professional world of translation) and so much more than any other professional association (who, by the way, at least in Canada, charge an arm and a leg per year and I
... See more
If it may help you, Telesforo, here are my two cents (in English, since my active Spanish has disappeared, alas, even though I can read it).

I went Platinum when I was still a freelance translator and I did it simply because Proz.com had given me so much (terminology, profile page, contacts, a few jobs, a window on the professional world of translation) and so much more than any other professional association (who, by the way, at least in Canada, charge an arm and a leg per year and I still have to understand what I get from them).

This said, I became Recruiting Manager of Lexi-tech in March and have used proz.com whenever our own database was coming up empty. I have posted bids, but more often than not, especially with tight deadlines, I have used the option of sending a group mailing to the tops Prozies shown in a certain language combination. And those lucky (or unlucky Prozies, let\'s be modest here) are mostly Platinum members who are listed first in the language combination. I get replies about availability and rates right away and the deal is closed shortly thereafter by our project managers, when the project is confirmed by the client.

I would say that this advantage alone is worth the Platinum membership.

And, wherever I go on the net, I always sign my name

Paola Ludovici MacQuarrie

www.lexitech.ca

www.proz.com

Ciao
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 18:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
two cents / word Aug 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-10 12:12, ludovici wrote:

I went Platinum when I was still a freelance translator and I did it simply because Proz.com had given me so much (terminology, profile page, contacts, a few jobs, a window on the professional world of translation) and so much more than any... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-10 12:12, ludovici wrote:

I went Platinum when I was still a freelance translator and I did it simply because Proz.com had given me so much (terminology, profile page, contacts, a few jobs, a window on the professional world of translation) and so much more than any other professional association (who, by the way, at least in Canada, charge an arm and a leg per year and I still have to understand what I get from them).

This said, I became Recruiting Manager of Lexi-tech in March and have used proz.com whenever our own database was coming up empty. I have posted bids, but more often than not, especially with tight deadlines, I have used the option of sending a group mailing to the tops Prozies shown in a certain language combination. And those lucky (or unlucky Prozies, let\'s be modest here) are mostly Platinum members who are listed first in the language combination. I get replies about availability and rates right away and the deal is closed shortly thereafter by our project managers, when the project is confirmed by the client.

I would say that this advantage alone is worth the Platinum membership.

And, wherever I go on the net, I always sign my name

Paola Ludovici MacQuarrie

www.lexitech.ca

www.proz.com

Ciao

---------------------------------------------

Your two cents contribution in educating me on the virtues of Platinum membership is,indeed, noteworthy. I am only aprehensive of receiving a two cents/ word translation offer by people who expect a two cents output, through group mailing facility.The remaining litany of benefits painfully listed will not be forgotten. ▲ Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tú pones el precio Telesforo Aug 10, 2002

El hecho de pasar a Platinum no te obliga a aceptar trabajos a precios que no deseas. Antes al contrario, según he entendido te permite un filtrado de las ofertas siempre y cuando tú hayas introducido tus tarifas en tu perfil. No recibirás mensajes con las ofertas que estén por debajo de tus tarifas.

Platinum significa mayor visibilidad cuando propones tus servicios, más contactos a través de mensajes que recibes directamente de los contratistas, y otra serie de ventaj
... See more
El hecho de pasar a Platinum no te obliga a aceptar trabajos a precios que no deseas. Antes al contrario, según he entendido te permite un filtrado de las ofertas siempre y cuando tú hayas introducido tus tarifas en tu perfil. No recibirás mensajes con las ofertas que estén por debajo de tus tarifas.

Platinum significa mayor visibilidad cuando propones tus servicios, más contactos a través de mensajes que recibes directamente de los contratistas, y otra serie de ventajas como la publicación inmediata de tus mensajes en los foros (muy útil si necesitas ayuda más o menos urgente).

Obviamente el pago de la membresía Platinum no te garantiza nada, pero como dicen por aquí \"si por miedo a los pájaros no vas a sembrar\"
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bouquets and brickbats for Platinum Membership

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »