Thread poster: Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2002

Para los que no han tenido la oportunidad de leer la historia de Pooja descrita por Evert en un mensaje anterior, aquí se las adjunto.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=15196&topic=3544&forum=23.

La idea de Evert es realmente fantástica y tan solidaria que creo que merece la atención de cada uno de nosotros (no importa la cantida
... See more
Para los que no han tenido la oportunidad de leer la historia de Pooja descrita por Evert en un mensaje anterior, aquí se las adjunto.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=15196&topic=3544&forum=23.

La idea de Evert es realmente fantástica y tan solidaria que creo que merece la atención de cada uno de nosotros (no importa la cantidad con la que uno contribuya sino la intención).

Pongamos cada uno nuestro granito de arena!!!

Gracias

Cecilia

________

Message posted by Evert:

This is not directly related to translation, but as a multicultural education-related community of 36,000+, maybe it would be possible for us to stress our solidarity once in a while with people who are not fortunate enough even to be able to continue their education...

Some of the ProZ mods will maybe remember that I once mentioned (in the context of sponsoring a project with charity dollars donated by grateful Kudoz askers) helping out an Indian girl who lost her father a couple of years ago and who was going thru lots of ordeals ever since.

Pooja (that\'s her name, she\'s the daughter of Brij Mohan Singh, who was my best friend -he suddenly died at the end of \'96 at the age of 46) is now 17 years young and I spoke to her over the phone last Sunday.

In fact she called me for help.

She told me that their landlord cut off all power supplies, that he wants to evict them out of their (very very small) apartment (in Amer, a town about 8 kms. from Jaipur), that she can\'t pay for her textbooks, rent, tuition and what have you, and that they (they= Pooja & her mother Sonu) have absolutely no income nor anyone to turn to for help.

I know Pooja and Sonu very well (I visited them a first time in 1986 and then each year until 1995) and I know Pooja is an extremely bright and intelligent girl, who ought to be able to continue her studies (French + English & computer sciences).

By the way, Pooja considers me a bit like her father. No wonder, I first met her when she was 2 years old.

Now, wouldn\'t it be great if we could help her out a bit?

I have sent them some money in the past, but don\'t have the income to really help them out.

10 or even 5 euro/USD a member would already be sufficient, no matter how many or how few would contribute.

In fact, any contribution would be highly appreciated and I will see to it that Pooja informs me (and you) regularly about further developments with respect to her studies, sends us some pictures etc.

I sincerely hope some of you will be able and willing to donate a few cents asap, as I know they\'re in a very bad shape and it\'s all (rather very) urgent.

ProZ members willing to do so and who trust me may send any amount to my ProZ wallet at

http://www.proz.com/?sp=partprof&eid_c=2127&eid_s=2127

I\'m sure Henry will not charge anything for this service... (Henry?)

Or you may wire a small contribution or simply send a small banknote (I\'ve done that before) to

Jazyk BVBA

Nachtegaalstraat 36

8490 Jabbeke

Belgium

Bank: Bank Brussel Lambert NV

Account number: 380-0164170-20

IBAN: BE28 3800 1641 7020

BIC of the BBL: BBRU BEBB

Do mention: Pooja / India 2002

Please do not send any cheques, as banks charge far too much and it takes ages to cash these.

I guarantee I\'ll forward everything directly and immediately to India.

In order to guarantee complete honesty, I will keep you all updated on the amount of contributions received and will ask another ProZ member to check all bank statements.

Other than that, I would like to give some sort of an award to one of the contributing ProZ members.

Pooja\'s father was a well known bright artist (e.g. he was a.o. commissioned to paint the portrait of the then president of India (Mr. Giani Zail Singh - president in the 1980\'s - I know for sure as I visited him a couple of times when Brij was still alive)) and I have several (absolutely great) miniatures painted by him.

I will list (and number) all members sending a contribution, whereby Henry (after a couple of weeks) will pick a number from 1 to (final number on the list); the person whose number corresponds to Henry\'s number will then receive this miniature (value of miniature: between 300 and 1000 USD).

What about it? We would be doing something very valuable, nobody would be hurt financially and we would be giving someone an opportunity to pick up her life.

I\'ll be looking forward to hearing from you soonest.

Best regards and thanking you all in advance,

Evert

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seamos Solidarios

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »