Organización para \"tarifas justas\" necesita ayuda. ¿Les parece sincero?
Thread poster: RSI EN-ES (AA)
RSI EN-ES (AA)
RSI EN-ES (AA)
Other
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2002

A group of freelancers - e-workers (not only translators) are setting

up a new website with a new idea behind. No quick buck to be made,

only the hope to get a piece of the cake for all, a fair rates. A non-

profit association who asks for no membership fee before a first job

is done.

We need QUALITY translators to help us translate the site. French,

German not urgent, that is more or less covered, but later help would

be
... See more
A group of freelancers - e-workers (not only translators) are setting

up a new website with a new idea behind. No quick buck to be made,

only the hope to get a piece of the cake for all, a fair rates. A non-

profit association who asks for no membership fee before a first job

is done.

We need QUALITY translators to help us translate the site. French,

German not urgent, that is more or less covered, but later help would

be appreciated for forming a jury for candidates\' admission as

members. We need Italian, Spanish, Portuguese translators (mother

tongue and a lot of experience) Russian and Japanese would be

welcomed.

We also need people knowing their home market (all countries) for the

marketing effort.

We are seeking people who believe that complaining about rates is not

the answer but acting boldly with a new concept may yield results.

This is only for people who believe that solidarity is still a viable

concept.

Anyone interested will get an outline of the concept and our mission

statement for a starter.

But please: QUALITY is our leitmotif.

http://fairtradenet.org (soon to come)

or

[email protected]

Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:25
French to German
+ ...
In the meantime, you are able to judge. Jun 15, 2002

Rick, I am astonished.

Don\'t you think it would have been up to me to publish this?

All I wanted is some contact with translators willing to help. In the meantime, I got a scree of mails, I am drowning.

I did not post a job at proZ because I cannot pay. And I wanted to avoid the avalanche.

Well, I have to live with it now.

You are welcome to help of course.

Happy week-end

Maya

RSI EN-ES (AA)
RSI EN-ES (AA)
Other
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For the record... Jun 16, 2002

Below you will find the header of the e-mail I received with the content I posted. I had no idea it was from you, whom I do not have the pleasure of being acquainted with, nor from any member of Proz. I merely posted the message in the forum for some feedback, such as if anyone was familiar with the project. I do not think it should be surprising that Proz members who are on various other mailing lists may post content received via the latter in the Proz forums, unwittingly at times that the con... See more
Below you will find the header of the e-mail I received with the content I posted. I had no idea it was from you, whom I do not have the pleasure of being acquainted with, nor from any member of Proz. I merely posted the message in the forum for some feedback, such as if anyone was familiar with the project. I do not think it should be surprising that Proz members who are on various other mailing lists may post content received via the latter in the Proz forums, unwittingly at times that the content they are receiving from other translator mailing lists is coming from a Proz member.

Conversely, there are many who \"leech\" (some may disagree with the term, but I believe it apropos) job postings from Proz, to distribute them among members of their professional associations and/or trade mailing lists.

------------------------------------

Subject: [Jobs-Trans] Globalization: Satisfied with your rates?

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:13:15 -0000

Reply-To: [email protected]

To: [email protected]

------------------------------------

Was this project mentioned in Proz? Did you post a announcement in one of the forums requesting volunteer translators? I\'ll check the Spanish forum, but I don\'t remember seeing any posting there requesting volunteer Spanish translators.

Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
No harm done, just a lot of enthusiasm created Jun 16, 2002

Hello Rick,

This is the posting I did not put up at proZ. Nor at a forum, nor as a job posting. And it did not only concern Spanish translators, but all translators, especially Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and Japanese. I just wish you had asked me for information first (the email addresses where there, you yould even have had a look at the logo of the site) before asking elsewhere ¿Les parece sincero?

You could have made up your mind and criticized the project on this forum
... See more
Hello Rick,

This is the posting I did not put up at proZ. Nor at a forum, nor as a job posting. And it did not only concern Spanish translators, but all translators, especially Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and Japanese. I just wish you had asked me for information first (the email addresses where there, you yould even have had a look at the logo of the site) before asking elsewhere ¿Les parece sincero?

You could have made up your mind and criticized the project on this forum or elsewhere if you found it wanting.

There are a lot of bogus projects out there, translators attracting other translators promising work for a small inscription fee. Chimeras. They are the first ones to advertise on proZ.

We are not promising anything. We say we have a new idea and we work for it, we need all the help we can get.

It is a long way to go. But we can do it if we do it together.

Cheers

Maya

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-16 12:25 ]
Collapse

Hans Gärtner
Hans Gärtner  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Ahora entiendo Jun 16, 2002

Ahora entiendo la desconfianza inicial de Rick, debida a haber recibido el post por una lista sin conocer a Maya.

Y entiendo que queda claro que esta desconfianza no estaba justificada en este caso.

Hans

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Me parece interesante comentarlo Jun 16, 2002

Nuestras discusiones sobre tarifas han llevado a discusiones, acusaciones, listas paralelas... a muchas cosas pero nada concreto. El proyecto que Maya ha ideado es sencillo : luchar contra la carrera a países tercermundistas (o asimilados) para conseguir precios bajos y garantizar a los traductores un mínimo decente, sea cual sea su país, practicando tarifas en función del lugar donde se encuentra el cliente, y poniendo como consigna una redistribución solidaria del trabajo.

A mí
... See more
Nuestras discusiones sobre tarifas han llevado a discusiones, acusaciones, listas paralelas... a muchas cosas pero nada concreto. El proyecto que Maya ha ideado es sencillo : luchar contra la carrera a países tercermundistas (o asimilados) para conseguir precios bajos y garantizar a los traductores un mínimo decente, sea cual sea su país, practicando tarifas en función del lugar donde se encuentra el cliente, y poniendo como consigna una redistribución solidaria del trabajo.

A mí me parece, antes que nada, Rick, sincero. También idealista y otros adjetivos que le dije a Maya. Pero si somos muchos los que creemos en ideales se logran cambiar las cosas. Me temo que los más interesados seamos los que no tenemos nada que perder, pero confío en que idealistas hay en todas las latitudes, y la prueba es que Maya vive en Suiza.

Claudia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Organización para \"tarifas justas\" necesita ayuda. ¿Les parece sincero?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »