Off topic: Joke Line
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
May 13, 2002

We outta start a posting thingie where only outrageously funny made up postings are acceptable. I though that the one previous to this by Silvina was better than mine. It really is a hoot. Muy gracioso. de verdad. Lo escribiste tu?

Cynthia Brals-Rud
Cynthia Brals-Rud  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very funny May 13, 2002

Now, Jane, your posting was meant for me, I just know it. I\'ve been laughing for a couple of days now, and telling this (to my poor husband) over and over again! I just thought it was very funny. Let me share it.

Last week, I was watching a series called \'Detectives\'. Two of the detectives, a man and a woman, are kind of involved but nothing has really happened yet

So, they are celebrating X-mas at the police stat
... See more
Now, Jane, your posting was meant for me, I just know it. I\'ve been laughing for a couple of days now, and telling this (to my poor husband) over and over again! I just thought it was very funny. Let me share it.

Last week, I was watching a series called \'Detectives\'. Two of the detectives, a man and a woman, are kind of involved but nothing has really happened yet

So, they are celebrating X-mas at the police station. She\'s standing there alone, watching people have fun. He comes and stands by her side, both facing the camera (and not each other). He\'s Irish and says,

\"So, Parra, is that a French name?\"(Imagine the Irish accent, please!)

\"No,it\'s a Greek name\", says Parra.

\"Have you got any Irish in you?\"

\"No, I don\'t\"

\"Would you like some?\"

LOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!! I cannot stop laughing!

Later on, they are kissing in a patrol car.

So, funny enough?

Cynthia

Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:55
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Who gives way to whom? May 13, 2002

A few days ago, a friend of mine sent me this one:

The following is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation in October

1995, between a US Navy ship off the coast of England, and the British

authorities.

The transcript was released by the MoD on 10/10/95.

BRITS: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South, to avoid a

collision.

AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course
... See more
A few days ago, a friend of mine sent me this one:

The following is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation in October

1995, between a US Navy ship off the coast of England, and the British

authorities.

The transcript was released by the MoD on 10/10/95.

BRITS: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South, to avoid a

collision.

AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North, to

avoid a collision

BRITS: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the

South to avoid a collision.

AMERICANS: This is the Captain of US Navy ship. I say again, divert

YOUR course.

BRITS: Negative. I say again. You will have to divert your course.

AMERICANS: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN. THE SECOND LARGEST

SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES\' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE

DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU

CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. THAT\'S 15 DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER

MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

SCROLL DOWN

BRITS: We are a lighthouse, so could take some time to move. Any

suggestions??

AMERICANS: (No response)

Collapse

Cynthia Brals-Rud
Cynthia Brals-Rud  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jack: pure genious May 17, 2002

I loved it!

Here\'s another contribution.

Enjoy

Cynthia

NEW WORDS FOR 2002 -- Essential additions for the workplace vocabulary:

BLAMESTORMING: Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.

SEAGULL MANAGER: A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on
... See more
I loved it!

Here\'s another contribution.

Enjoy

Cynthia

NEW WORDS FOR 2002 -- Essential additions for the workplace vocabulary:

BLAMESTORMING: Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.

SEAGULL MANAGER: A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.

ASSMOSIS: The process by which some people seem to absorb success and advancement by kissing up to the boss rather than working hard.

SALMON DAY: The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die in the end.

CUBE FARM: An office filled with cubicles.

PRAIRIE DOGGING: When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and people\'s heads pop up over the walls to see what\'s going on.

MOUSE POTATO: The on-line, wired generation\'s answer to the couch potato.

SITCOMs: Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage. What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them stops working to stay home with the kids.

STARTER MARRIAGE: A short-lived first marriage that ends in divorce with no kids, no property and no regrets.

STRESS PUPPY: A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.

SWIPEOUT: An ATM or credit card that has been rendered useless because the magnetic strip is worn away from extensive use.

XEROX SUBSIDY: Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one\'s workplace.

IRRITAINMENT: Entertainment and media spectacles that are annoying but you find yourself unable to stop watching them. The O.J. trials were a prime example. Bill Clintons Grand Jury testimony is another.

PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The fine art of whacking the shit out of an electronic device to get it to work again.

VULCAN NERVE PINCH: The taxing hand position required to reach all the appropriate keys for certain commands. For instance, the arm reboot for Mac II computer involves simultaneously pressing the Control Key, the Command Key, the Return Key, and the Power On key. For Windows it\'s Ctrl, Alt, Delete simultaneously.

ADMINISPHERE: The rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the adminisphere are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve.

404: Someone who\'s clueless. (From the World Wide Web error message \"404 Not Found\", meaning that the requested document could not be located).

GENERICA: Features of the American landscape that are exactly the same no matter where one is, such as fast food joints, strip malls, subdivisions.

OHNOSECOND: That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you\'ve just made a BIG mistake.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Joke Line

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »