Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
"Justificar" sus traducciones
Thread poster: Lincoln Burr (X)
Lincoln Burr (X)
Lincoln Burr (X)
May 10, 2011

Estamos en cuarto año de "Traductorado de inglés" y tenemos que hacer un trabajo de investigación (una especie de tesis). Nuestro trabajo se basa en ver si los alumnos de traductorado pueden "justificar" sus traducciones. Es decir, si pueden identificar problemas, clasificarlos, ver qué técnicas de traducción pueden utilizar para resolverlos y elegir una. No traducir "just for the sake of translating" sino siendo conscientes de lo que están haciendo y poder expresarlo (theory in action, c... See more
Estamos en cuarto año de "Traductorado de inglés" y tenemos que hacer un trabajo de investigación (una especie de tesis). Nuestro trabajo se basa en ver si los alumnos de traductorado pueden "justificar" sus traducciones. Es decir, si pueden identificar problemas, clasificarlos, ver qué técnicas de traducción pueden utilizar para resolverlos y elegir una. No traducir "just for the sake of translating" sino siendo conscientes de lo que están haciendo y poder expresarlo (theory in action, como dice Newmark). Por ejemplo, uno entrega una traducción y el P.M. le refuta/discute ciertas elecciones, el traductor debe ser capaz de "defender" sus elecciones. Por eso, quería preguntartes si conocén algún libro/autor que hable más o menos de esto (si lo hay) para escribir el "marco teórico" del trabajo.
Espero que nos puedan ayudar.
Muchas gracias.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why this language mix? May 11, 2011

Too bad because this is a highly interesting topic.

???

Thanks! Makes more sense with a headline in the matching language.
Great topic!

Best,

Nicole

[Edited at 2011-05-11 01:39 GMT]

Lincoln Burr (X)
Lincoln Burr (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry.. May 11, 2011

Oops.. Sorry... An interesting topic it is, really! And I'd be glad if you help us... (better in this way?) =D

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Local time: 19:10
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vázquez-Ayora May 11, 2011

Introducción a la traductología.

A mi me ayudó mucho ya que se centra en la traducción del inglés al español pero hay muchos más autores que puedes consultar como Newmark, Mona Baker, Hatim, Vinay ...

Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:10
Arabic to English
+ ...
Reflexions on the practice of translation May 12, 2011

Nowadays, I think reflecting on ones decisions in the act of translating is quite crucial for every translator or the to-be language mediator or consultant.

You might find these techniques in the literature done by many scholars in the translation field. For instance, you may seek to :

- Read the famous book by Vinay on Translation techniques and strategies. Although it applied to French/English language pair , it can be useful for other language pairs.
-Read Maso
... See more
Nowadays, I think reflecting on ones decisions in the act of translating is quite crucial for every translator or the to-be language mediator or consultant.

You might find these techniques in the literature done by many scholars in the translation field. For instance, you may seek to :

- Read the famous book by Vinay on Translation techniques and strategies. Although it applied to French/English language pair , it can be useful for other language pairs.
-Read Mason and Hatim. They wrote about how text linguistcs (genre, register and discourse analysis) can be important frameworks to refer to to justify translation decisions.

- Finally, and most importantly read about translation studies. An introduction to the field or readings done bu authors like Jeremy Munday, Susanne Bassnet ...ect , can be good references for you.

As you can see , the field now become a phenomenon that needs to be treated and looked at as such , and not only a 'business' of transfering meanings and intentions and fixing structures.

Fouad
Collapse

Lincoln Burr (X)
Lincoln Burr (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 12, 2011

Thank you very much, really!! I'm gonna read some of the books that you suggest. It's quite difficult to get information about this topic. I mean, a lot of theorists talk about translation theory and how to put it into practice. But only a few wrote how the translator can resort to translation theory in order to justify their own choices (i.e. the other way around: translation theory to explain and account for your choices instead of applying it to solve problems).
I think it's a very int
... See more
Thank you very much, really!! I'm gonna read some of the books that you suggest. It's quite difficult to get information about this topic. I mean, a lot of theorists talk about translation theory and how to put it into practice. But only a few wrote how the translator can resort to translation theory in order to justify their own choices (i.e. the other way around: translation theory to explain and account for your choices instead of applying it to solve problems).
I think it's a very interesting topic to deal with since translators should be able to vouch for their decisions and start thinking deeply about the process of translating. Translators are not machines...
Collapse

Simon Dean
Simon Dean  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
'Translators are not machines' May 12, 2011

Exactly!

I think the best way to justify your translation is to be able to convey the exact meaning. The 'feel' of the source text, into the translation. Even if a word has to be switched somewhere, or you may pick a strange translation for a word. The meaning of the source text in one language doesn't necessarily direclty translate as the same meaning in the target language.

I hope this makes sense,

Kind regards,

Simon.

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes but... May 12, 2011

Simon Dean wrote:

I think the best way to justify your translation is to be able to convey the exact meaning. The 'feel' of the source text, into the translation. Even if a word has to be switched somewhere, or you may pick a strange translation for a word. The meaning of the source text in one language doesn't necessarily direclty translate as the same meaning in the target language.

Simon.

Yes, that is what you say to yourself when you are translating but if somebody challenges your option you have to be able to reply with something that does not include the words "it sounds better", "it feels right", "that´s how the say it"... Then theory comes in very handy, even if the person who challenges you translation is not a translator you have to be able to "defend" it in a professional manner.

It will also help you realise that sometimes what we think that "sounds better" is actually wrong.

Lincoln Burr (X)
Lincoln Burr (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Right! May 12, 2011

Susana Gonzalez wrote:

Simon Dean wrote:

Simon.

Yes, that is what you say to yourself when you are translating but if somebody challenges your option you have to be able to reply with something that does not include the words "it sounds better", "it feels right", "that´s how the say it"... Then theory comes in very handy, even if the person who challenges you translation is not a translator you have to be able to "defend" it in a professional manner.

It will also help you realise that sometimes what we think that "sounds better" is actually wrong.

Exactly! That's what I'm talking about and what our research work will deal with. If someone asks you: "Why did you choose that translation techinque or why you have translated the SLT into this or that version?"... "Because it sounds better... because it sound right to me..." They are not "strong" answers to justify and make reliable your translation.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:10
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Idioma del foro May 13, 2011

Quisiera pedirles por favor que mantengamos el idioma oficial de este foro, que es el español. Si desean discutir el mismo tema en inglés les sugiero empezar un nuevo hilo en otro foro,
Muchas gracias por su comprensión.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Saber justificar es saber May 18, 2011

Esto en mi opinión es un tema enorme que abarca quizás toda la materia multidisciplinar de la traducción. Las miles de decisiones cocientes e inconscientes que se hacen durante el proceso de traducción se pueden justificar (o no) de mil maneras. Las justificaciones no siempre son puramente lingüísticas, también pueden ser debido a cuestiones culturales, pragmáticas, o simplemente cuestión de espacio, alguna petición del cliente etc etc...

Obviamente más conocimiento que
... See more
Esto en mi opinión es un tema enorme que abarca quizás toda la materia multidisciplinar de la traducción. Las miles de decisiones cocientes e inconscientes que se hacen durante el proceso de traducción se pueden justificar (o no) de mil maneras. Las justificaciones no siempre son puramente lingüísticas, también pueden ser debido a cuestiones culturales, pragmáticas, o simplemente cuestión de espacio, alguna petición del cliente etc etc...

Obviamente más conocimiento que tengas en todos los campos aplicables, más herramientas tienes a la hora de explicar tus decisiones.

Como las lenguas en sí, todas estas cosas se aprenden a lo largo de muchos años; no creo que ningún libro, ninguna teoría de traducción, pueda ayudar mucho en eso.

Lo importante para mi es seguir una regla de oro:

Nunca hacer nada sin poderlo justificar.
Collapse

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Otro libro que te puede ser de ayuda May 18, 2011

Marina Orellana - La traducción del inglés al castellano

¡Saludos!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have nothing May 18, 2011

to contribute to the general topic of this post, but would like to chip in with my personal opinion that if something "sounds/works/feels better" to me, it is usually agreed to be so by clients and colleagues alike.
Having to "justify" my choices is one reason I am nowadays refusing more and more revision/proofing jobs, as I find it time-consuming and non-productive; however this may not be the case for someone studying translation rather than actually working full time.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Let's face it May 18, 2011

neilmac wrote:

would like to chip in with my personal opinion that if something "sounds/works/feels better" to me, it is usually agreed to be so by clients and colleagues alike.

most of the translation process is instinctive. But there's no harm in reflecting on why things "sound better" and it can be quite fascinating. It's also part of what makes us professional linguists rather than just people who speak languages.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
¿Cómo justifico mi traducción? Apr 1, 2014

Hola, a todos/as:

No sé si he hecho bien en poner mi consulta aquí pero no quería empezar otro hilo. Si he hecho mal, os pido mis disculpas.

Hace un mes hice una traducción de una página web (creo) que vende productos químicos para mejorar el rendimiento de motores, etc.

Hoy me han llamado desde la agencía y me han dicho que al cliente no le gusta mi traduccion. No sabían expicarme la razón, pero me han dicho que el cliente quería 'un inglés par
... See more
Hola, a todos/as:

No sé si he hecho bien en poner mi consulta aquí pero no quería empezar otro hilo. Si he hecho mal, os pido mis disculpas.

Hace un mes hice una traducción de una página web (creo) que vende productos químicos para mejorar el rendimiento de motores, etc.

Hoy me han llamado desde la agencía y me han dicho que al cliente no le gusta mi traduccion. No sabían expicarme la razón, pero me han dicho que el cliente quería 'un inglés para tontos'. Yo les contesté que tenían que haberme avisado antes de empezar a traducir, no un mes después de entregar, y cobrar, la traducción.

Una de las quejas reside en el uso del verbo 'replace', ya que el cliente dice que quien lea la traducción pensará que tiene que cambiar la pieza, en lugar de volver a colocarla. Dice que sería mejor poner 'put on again' (me estoy referiendo a un tapón de llenado del aceite de motor).

Os pongo un ejemplo:

MODO DE USO
1. Con el motor apagado, quitar el tapón de llenado del aceite de motor
2. Aplicar el contenido del producto
3. **Poner** el tapón de llenado del aceite de motor

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
1. With the engine switched off, remove the oil filler cap
2. Add the contents of the product
3. **Replace** the engine oil filler cap.

Mi pregunta es el siguiente: ¿el uso del verbo 'replace' es justificado? o ¿sería mejor utilizar 'put on again'?

He puesto mi consulta aquí porque tengo que rectificar mi traducción, y por mucho que mire, no sé cómo hacerlo

Por cierto, he consultado varios diccionarios, y según lo que he leído, 'replace' no está mal.

[Edited at 2014-04-01 22:39 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Justificar" sus traducciones

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »